So I've had my Reo Mini for about a week or two now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

geosmin

May 22, 2012
Montreal
Hey guys! So I got my 5 posts in and am now ready to join the Reo forum! Wooo!

So as a new vaper I'd love to say my first couple of weeks have been great, but the truth is a cluster of issues have really prevented me from legitimately enjoying my vaping experience thus far. For starters:

The button is pretty darn difficult to push all the way down when the battery is in. This has gotten a bit better since I first got it but it still requires a very uncomfortable amount of force to get the button all the way down. When I compare this to the reo mini i bought for my friend, his is significantly more comfortable to use.

I sent Robert an email within a few days regarding this issue and he very kindly offered to send one of those new button caps my way. The thing is, I feel though it might make the button dig into my thumb less, the issue of requiring so much darn force still won't be addressed...

Is there any way I can open up the mini and somehow make the battery easier to push? My friend's mini's button fires like butter, so what gives?

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Welcome, geosmin :)

There are a few things to try.

But let me address the most important first. The button doesn't need to be depressed all the way down in order for the it to work. Depending on the battery you are using, some will have a longer "throw" if you will, than others. In this situation, the first thing we look at is how far you need to push. To do this, hold the mod by your ear and gently press the button until you hear your atomizer sizzle. It shouldn't take much pressure. If you notice that it doesn't take much, then just remembering this will help keep you from mashing your button.

Now it is entirely possible that some gunk has already made it's way in there....so you could always give it a hot water flushing and work the button up and down while doing this. Just remove the battery, atomizer and juice bottle before running hot water through it.

I just picked up several of my minis and also noticed that my new, unused ones, have very stiff buttons...and my well loved ones are much easier to press. It could be just a matter of use too. But this may not be the case for all.

Keep us posted. :)

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
830ff5b60c0574df4f32221bc5faaf15.gif

uh ya what Lisa said LOL

geosmin

May 22, 2012
Montreal
Welcome, geosmin :)

There are a few things to try.

But let me address the most important first. The button doesn't need to be depressed all the way down in order for the it to work. Depending on the battery you are using, some will have a longer "throw" if you will, than others. In this situation, the first thing we look at is how far you need to push. To do this, hold the mod by your ear and gently press the button until you hear your atomizer sizzle. It shouldn't take much pressure. If you notice that it doesn't take much, then just remembering this will help keep you from mashing your button.

Now it is entirely possible that some gunk has already made it's way in there....so you could always give it a hot water flushing and work the button up and down while doing this. Just remove the battery, atomizer and juice bottle before running hot water through it.

I just picked up several of my minis and also noticed that my new, unused ones, have very stiff buttons...and my well loved ones are much easier to press. It could be just a matter of use too. But this may not be the case for all.

Keep us posted. :)

I read somewhere that someone used a multimeter and noticed that for the reo to deliver it's full voltage, the button had to be pressed all the way down. My observation seems to support this as I get thinner hits when I only partially press the button.

As to it being a battery length issue; my friend uses the exact same batteries I am using and, like I said, fires like butter. His is as easy to push with the battery in as mine is with the battery out! I'm floored every time I try his by how pleasant it is to use in contrast.

As to the cleaning/loosening of the button, I've tried more than a few times already to really press it in an out, both fast and slow, under hot water or no water. It doesn't feel like there's something gunking it up, it just feels like it has significantly more resistance than my friend's mini.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Interesting. I haven't found there to be a difference in delivery between a soft or hard press...but then I've never tried to measure it. These mechanical mods are a very simple set up: A connection is either being made or it isn't. I was a button masher in the beginning too. Mostly when my batteries were less than fully charged, I would press harder thinking I would get more out of them. I was wrong.

So your friends mini....is it new also?

I'm off to search for relevant info...I'll be back shortly.

geosmin

May 22, 2012
Montreal
I could be wrong. "A connection is either being made or it isn't." This is what I'd intuitively believe as well, but like I said I remember reading someone's thread on here where they tested it with a multimeter and the button needed to be pressed all the way. Perhaps it was all a dream? :)

Me and my friend's mini are both brand spankin' new and arrived in the mail together.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I have two minis and I also have a difference in the buttons. The newest one is.almost a year old. I use it without any problems, but only for one or two battery changes, then my fingers need a break. I also tried hot water and a few other suggestions mentioned in other trouble shooting threads. I could send it back, but it is the only one I take out on the trail. It is a Tumbled finish so if it gets dropped, the finish won't get damaged. I don't really want to be without it. So I will just keep it in use until it absolutely does not work anymore.

geosmin

May 22, 2012
Montreal
Guess I'll try that Noalox stuff if I can just remember where I put it, thought I'm having some doubts over how well it'll work; I noticed the upper plastic part with the screw inside my reo is tilted counterclockwise. I tried unscrewing it to set it straight but it seems the tilt is caused by something exerting pressure on the inside. I don't think my friend's reo has this problem (plastic piece is aligned just fine), perhaps this is related to my button being very hard to push?

So yeah, is there no way I could open up the reo mini and loosen the button myself?

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Good to know...I remember others who have noticed that not all buttons behave in the same manner. I don't have any discomfort issues, so it isn't anything that I have typically paid a lot of attention to. I know that with use, all of mine loosened up considerably.

As far as the testing goes, I must have missed that thread. Perhaps it is the difference between a good connection and a partial connection. I wonder if there is something else going on. Can you tell me if this is occurring no matter what your battery meters out at...even on a full charge? Have you applied fresh Noalox? What battery are you using?

On all of mine..the button only goes down no more than 1/8" of an inch (and on some, even less)...or a couple mm before the atty starts sizzling.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Guess I'll try that Noalox stuff if I can just remember where I put it, thought I'm having some doubts over how well it'll work; I noticed the upper plastic part with the screw inside my reo is tilted counterclockwise. I tried unscrewing it to set it straight but it seems the tilt is caused by something exerting pressure on the inside. I don't think my friend's reo has this problem (plastic piece is aligned just fine), perhaps this is related to my button being very hard to push?

So yeah, is there no way I could open up the reo mini and loosen the button myself?

This is something that I would have to defer to Rob on....I have removed the cover, but never did anything beyond looking. Removing the screw is easy enough and the delrin cover is easy to remove. It's getting the screw back in without stripping the threading that can be tricky. I think it would be a good idea to get with Rob directly about how to do anything inside of there. Instead of emailing him, try sending him a message through here. His name here is redeyedancer. You can also call him, his number is listed on his website under Contact Us. I will send him a link to this thread so he is aware.

He may not respond today ...because it's father's day. I'm sure he's out spending time with his Dad.

Last edited:

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
A couple of mine are a little off kilter, but only by a mm max. ...funny, never even noticed it before. And it hasn't affected their performance. I just used my thumb to push up on the left side and they moved back to square. While I still don't think that would affect how the button moves, you could always try that.

wood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
edmonton
they tilt like that because there is just one screw , this creates a pivot point , its not a problem , try taking the battery out and depressing the buton as far as it goes a handfull of times , maybe your springs a bit stiff ? or if all else fails remove the cover and try to bend the firing pin ever so slightly

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com

geosmin

May 22, 2012
Montreal
A couple of mine are a little off kilter, but only by a mm max. ...funny, never even noticed it before. And it hasn't affected their performance. I just used my thumb to push up on the left side and they moved back to square. While I still don't think that would affect how the button moves, you could always try that.

There's a very real and quite strong amount of force keeping mine at a tilt, if I try to push it back straight it resists and immediately settles back to the titled position, I'm guessing something might be "tight" in there and might also be putting pressure on the button mechanism.

Sterno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2010
Oklahoma City
www.reosmods.com
ive been using reos for 2 years and i can confirm the button does not need to be mashed all the way down only like Lisa described when the atty fires you got it right mashing the button only pushes the battery down on its spring and the mod was not intended to operate in this manner so trust me go easy on it ok ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread