Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
A lot of you have completely missed the point I was trying to make.

As ex-smokers a lot of the community on here are coming across as, 'ohhh, this e liquid contains this' etc etc.

But it's better than smoking analogues.

I have changed to an e-cigarette because I want to be healthier, but then I see all these threads about dia...or whatever its called and I just think, FFS.

As someone new to it all I just can't be bothered with it. I want to enjoy the hobby and just know that I have made a healthier change.

Well, that may be completely true for those with normal lungs. For me, with asthma already, vaping stuff with those "diketone" ingredients is FAR WORSE than smoking. I'm supposed to use my inhaler no more than 8 puffs a day -- when I was vaping that bad juice, I was needing FIFTEEN puffs a day -- almost twice as much as I'm supposed to use -- far more than I ever needed it, when I smoked -- as a pk a day smoker, even when I had a bad cold, I never needed more than 10 puffs in a day.

As I said, those of us with existing lung problems are the canaries in the coal mine -- we pay attention to what our lungs are doing, and when there's a problem, we notice it very quickly. But those ingredients aren't just bad for people with existing lung problems, they can cause lung DESTRUCTION in anyone, but those with normal lungs might not even know there's a problem, until it's completely irreversible.

I guess anyone is entitled to destroy their lungs if they really want to, but I can't see why anyone would want to. Breathing is NECESSARY.

Andria

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

As ex-smokers a lot of the community on here are coming across as, 'ohhh, this e liquid contains this' etc etc.

I have changed to an e-cigarette because I want to be healthier, but then I see all these threads about dia...or whatever its called and I just think, FFS.

As someone new to it all I just can't be bothered with it. I want to enjoy the hobby and just know that I have made a healthier change.

When you are new, yeah, it makes your head swim. And that's on top of all the other stuff that makes your head swim when you're just starting out. Though it is overwhelming, it's a good thing it doesn't stop anyone from posting or asking about things that we might avoid to make vaping safer. You are the one that has to decide if you want to take the advice or not. Once you've been off the cigarettes for a while and are comfortable with vaping, you'll probably take more notice of the warnings. Bringing to light and discussing these problems has forced some of the more reluctant sellers to change their ways. That is a good thing.

I'm a little baffled why you would call such discussions hypocritical. We all eat food so do you find "nutritional facts" on food containers or recalls for salmonella or listeria contamination hypocritical? We all want to be safe, right? Anyway, being new I do see your frustration.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas

You can't be bothered with wanting to know what you are vaping and the possible side-effects and risks - got it.

That's fine, your choice.

I want to know what the ingredients are in my e-liquid. In fact I demand to know if a manufacturer is using flavorings that have shown to cause harm in their liquids.

Like you, I made the switch to vaping from cigarettes for health reasons, I cannot understand the mentality that you don't care what you are vaping. It really blows my mind.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Just throwing this out there.... I remember when I first started vaping, I was so absolutely thrilled to discover that I actually had a chance to stop smoking with these. I read that they were better for you than smoking. Hell, I felt better!
Did I care about ingredients? Not particularly. I was just happy this was a reduced harm alternative.

Now? Yeah, I am more concerned about what is in the liquids I choose to purchase. It did come after about after quite a while of reading and watching.

For some, they look at the alternative (smoking) and think vaping has to be better. That is enough for them....at this point in their journey. It may change down the road as they discover and read and watch......

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Just throwing this out there.... I remember when I first started vaping, I was so absolutely thrilled to discover that I actually had a chance to stop smoking with these. I read that they were better for you than smoking. Hell, I felt better!
Did I care about ingredients? Not particularly. I was just happy this was a reduced harm alternative.

Now? Yeah, I am more concerned about what is in the liquids I choose to purchase. It did come after about after quite a while of reading and watching.

For some, they look at the alternative (smoking) and think vaping has to be better. That is enough for them....at this point in their journey. It may change down the road as they discover and read and watch......

Pretty much copied my answer ^^^ didn't you? :lol: I agree, starting out it's all a bit overwhelming.

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
i don't think it's hypocritical at all. the whole point of quitting smoking is because I finally woke UP, and finally took responsibility for the fact that i was harming myself... and stopped doing that. And I now think in an entirely NEW way.

So it's completely consistent with this new way of thinking to want to make sure that from this time forward, I take more care about what I'm doing than I used to, and pay more attention to whether or not any new habits that I pick up are harmful or not.

It's absolutely NOT hypocritical - making it a priority to do things in a more health-supportive way than I ever did before, is the whole point.

Last edited:

joesquid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2014
Chesapeake, Va
Well, that may be completely true for those with normal lungs. For me, with asthma already, vaping stuff with those "diketone" ingredients is FAR WORSE than smoking. I'm supposed to use my inhaler no more than 8 puffs a day -- when I was vaping that bad juice, I was needing FIFTEEN puffs a day -- almost twice as much as I'm supposed to use -- far more than I ever needed it, when I smoked -- as a pk a day smoker, even when I had a bad cold, I never needed more than 10 puffs in a day.

Andria

Andria, I believe there may be something else that caused you problems because cigarettes have more Diketones than ejuice.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Are some ex-smokers hypocrits? Sure, but it's not just ex-smokers....it's people in general. In our society we tend to believe we are health conscious and concerned about what chemicals we ingest, inhale, etc....yet statistically, the majority of adult Americans are overweight (30% considered to be "obese") due to lack of exercise, good nutrition, etc. Heart disease is the number one killer of adults in this country, which in many cases is directly attributed to weight and diet. In my opinion, not for all, but for many people the concern for their health and well-being seems to stop at the end of their fork.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas

I can see that and I concede the point that when first starting, everything is new and we're just delighted to find something that actually works to quit smoking.

However, there is a big difference between that feeling and posting on a public forum that we're being hypocritical about questioning what we might be vaping in our e-liquid.

Maybe not the OP's real intent behind the post, but basically I just got a big "shut up about anything I don't agree with, don't care about, or find confusing"

T3Texas

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Texas - USA
Vaping is the less of 2 evils vs. Smoking..

If you really cared about your health, you would not be inhaling ANYTHING into your lungs. Period, end of story.
Vaping is not good in some way, shape or form. But as a 25+ year pack a day smoker. This is bliss. I can breathe, I can smell. Hell I can even run several miles again without puking a lung out.

To argue about a minute amount of a bad chemical ingested by e juice is trivial and stupid.

You do breathe right?!? Do you realize the crap you inhale from your daily routine? Unless your a recluse living in the mountains, your breathing in chemicals, fumes, pesticides, fertilizers, etc. all day long...

Let's be real.

Ever heard the term "You could F up a wet dream"?..... That's what this topic is.

To argue about a minute PPM of bad stuff in our e juice compared to the reality of what you breathe every day, all day long, this is moot and pointless, a waste of time.

I feel dumber trying to explain this.,

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
Maybe not the OP's real intent behind the post, but basically I just got a big "shut up about anything I don't agree with, don't care about, or find confusing"
That kind of sums up an average day for me....most things I don't agree with, most things I don't care about, and most things I find confusing. lol

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
i don't think it's hypocritical at all. the whole point of quitting smoking is because I finally woke UP, and finally took responsibility for the fact that i was harming myself... and stopped doing that. And I now think in an entirely NEW way.

So it's completely consistent with this new way of thinking to want to make sure that from this time forward, I take more care about what I'm doing than I used to, and pay more attention to whether or not any new habits that I pick up are harmful or not.

It's absolutely NOT hypocritical - making it a priority to do things in a more health-supportive way than I ever did before, is the whole point.

Well Hey Miss Blue! Long time no type!! Howzzit going?

Andria

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Vaping is the less of 2 evils vs. Smoking..

If you really cared about your health, you would not be inhaling ANYTHING into your lungs. Period, end of story.
Vaping is not good in some way, shape or form. But as a 25+ year pack a day smoker. This is bliss. I can breathe, I can smell. Hell I can even run several miles again without puking a lung out.

To argue about a minute amount of a bad chemical ingested by e juice is trivial and stupid.

You do breathe right?!? Do you realize the crap you inhale from your daily routine? Unless your a recluse living in the mountains, your breathing in chemicals, fumes, pesticides, fertilizers, etc. all day long...

Let's be real.

Ever heard the term "You could F up a wet dream"?..... That's what this topic is.

To argue about a minute PPM of bad stuff in our e juice compared to the reality of what you breathe every day, all day long, this is moot and pointless, a waste of time.

I feel dumber trying to explain this.,

Again, I find this hard to fathom.

Let me try to understand. So you are saying because I involuntary inhale other things on a daily basis (like chemicals, fumes, pesticides etc.) I shouldn't care what I am voluntarily inhaling in my e-liquid?

I don't understand why one precludes the other.

Are we only allowed to care about one thing at once? Who said I don't care about all those other things?

This is something I am choosing to inhale (and yes, I agree the best thing would be not to vape at all) It's much, much easier for me to examine and understand what the ingredients are in e-liquid than to do a full analysis of the air in my front yard.

If, by the disclosure of information by the e-liquid manufacturers I can make a more informed decision about what I am choosing to inhale, then why is that 'dumb' as you implied?

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really don't understand how people can defend not wanting to know what is in their e-liquid.

Using the reason that we use to smoke as to why we shouldn't care is completely baffling to me.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I can see that and I concede the point that when first starting, everything is new and we're just delighted to find something that actually works to quit smoking.

However, there is a big difference between that feeling and posting on a public forum that we're being hypocritical about questioning what we might be vaping in our e-liquid.

Let's just call this a "venting" for the OP and a chance for us to possibly enlighten fairly new vapers.

;)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Andria, I believe there may be something else that caused you problems because cigarettes have more Diketones than ejuice.

Entirely possible, since I have no idea what all may be in that ejuice. Diketones of some kind are my best guess.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread