So...my freaking battery just caught on fire!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This thread is EXACTLY why I charge Batteries in a Glass Oven Pan.
Honestly, I'm not sure a glass oven pan is going to help that much, unless we are talking about cig-style batteries.
I think even an fat-batt will blow right out of a glass oven pan.

I still don't know why people aren't using a Liposack, or the equivalent.

Are you really comfortable with that glass oven pan?
What kind of batteries are we talking about?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Honestly, I'm not sure a glass oven pan is going to help that much, unless we are talking about cig-style batteries.
I think even an fat-batt will blow right out of a glass oven pan.

I still don't know why people aren't using a Liposack, or the equivalent.

Are you really comfortable with that glass oven pan?
What kind of batteries are we talking about?

Maybe it can blow the Lid of an Oven Pan.

But at Least it will not do this...

580940_342534805832559_2069534311_n.jpg

Ooouch.

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
We have a manual V2 808 manual. We did some reading a few weeks ago and it said that the batts shouldnt take any longer than 3 hours to charge and to NEVER EVER EVER leave the batt charging overnight or while you leave. Unfortunately, I do not remember where we read this.

I do believe that every new person to vaping should be aware of the "dangers" of a batt shorting out.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What is the "Glass Oven Pan" thing, I am new and still learning all the methods of vaping.

When I charge my batteries, I put the Charger inside a Casserole (SP?) Dish and put the Lid on it.

My looks similar to this one.

313140TYG5L._SY450_.jpg

Glass can't Burn and it also Doesn't Conduct.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
When I charge my batteries, I put the Charger inside a Casserole (SP?) Dish and put the Lid on it.

My looks similar to this one.

313140TYG5L._SY450_.jpg

Glass can't Burn and it also Doesn't Conduct.

Okay, let me see if i understand this, is your charger on a cord? I screw my batts (KR808) into a USB male port and plug that into a charger that plugs straight into a wall. No cords.

base234

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2011
Over the edge...
This is another great post about melting/flaming/smoking/exploding batteries I've read on ECF! I remember those easy days when I first started vaping when I'd plug my Riva batteries into my computer's USB port and trot off to bed. Ignorance is bliss. I only charge in three places now. On my workbench in the garage with the battery in a metal coffee can, in my upstairs bathroom on a 24" wide glass shelf in a metal pan (for the Trustfire charger), or in the truck with the battery in a tall plastic ashtray that fits in a cupholder on the center console. Either place could handle a meltdown or small explosion. Batteries come off as soon as I see a green light. When I'm on the road, batteries charge in the hotel room's bathroom sink.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Okay, let me see if i understand this, is your charger on a cord? I screw my batts (KR808) into a USB male port and plug that into a charger that plugs straight into a wall. No cords.

My Charger is Corded.

The Lid Rests on the Cord. Even provides some Air Circulation.

The Concept is if the Batteries or Charger Melts Down or Catches on Fire, that the fire Doesn't spread to something else. Check out the pictures I posted. Look at how much the Pillow and the Mattress were Burned.

And if the Charger is gets wacked, I'm not worried about getting a Handful of 110 volts since Glass Doesn’t Conduct Electricity.

tosjduenfs

Sep 4, 2012
Illinois
Been vaping for few years now. Finally decided to check out some forums. I also have quite a few radio controlled multicopters and I have a lot of high capacity high voltage batteries. I charge my LIPO batteries in these Lithium Polymer Charge Pack 18x22cm Sack They are basically just fiberglass bags with a rubberized exterior. If something were to go wrong the fiberglass pouch will contain the blaze. It does provide some thermal insulation but the heat will still be an issue if you place the bag on a flammable surface. I charge them in the pouch on the concrete in my basement. Many people use metal ammo cans as well but it is very important to have a vent hole in any container you use. For the people charging in glass dishes I do not recommend that because the battery WILL blow the lid off and may likely have enough energy to propel itself out of the dish. These things can go off like rockets.

1lasttime

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
My Charger is Corded.

The Lid Rests on the Cord. Even provides some Air Circulation.

The Concept is if the Batteries or Charger Melts Down or Catches on Fire, that the fire Doesn't spread to something else. Check out the pictures I posted. Look at how much the Pillow and the Mattress were Burned.

And if the Charger is gets wacked, I'm not worried about getting a Handful of 110 volts since Glass Doesn’t Conduct Electricity.

Okay, thanks for this information. I did see the pictures! I would hate for that to happen to me or one of my family members! It just didnt strike me. Like someone else said on here, ignorance is bliss. Honestly as soon as I see a green light mine comes off the charger.

I dont know how we could prevent this considering we dont have a corded charger. I will be researching this tonight, though.

Again thank you for your info. :)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Okay, thanks for this information. I did see the pictures! I would hate for that to happen to me or one of my family members! It just didnt strike me. Like someone else said on here, ignorance is bliss. Honestly as soon as I see a green light mine comes off the charger.

I dont know how we could prevent this considering we dont have a corded charger. I will be researching this tonight, though.

Again thank you for your info. :)

No Problem.

There might be Better ways to charge a Battery. But charging a Battery in something that Can't catch on fire is better than placing your Charger on a Pile of Oily Rags.

chillywilly

Aug 24, 2012
USA
Glad we all agree that this is a serious issue that needs to be taken seriously. I am looking into other brand batteries and really like the smokeless image ones that someone else pointed out in this thread.

This really scares the heck out of me. I own a metal fab shop and I think I am going to start working on something to put our charges in. This will make them a lot safer. Will take some pics and post them when I get it done.

Wow! This would be super cool. You could be famous :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread