Status
Not open for further replies.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
In CO I get ranted at since "vaping will KILL you!!! What are you doing??!!?? Smoking is SO much better for you than vaping!!!!!" My favorite retort is, "Every time you are at a performance that uses fog effects or any time you buy a fog machine for your kids at Halloween you are breathing the same stuff I'm using to vape. The. exact. same. thing...would you rather those fog effects were made with cigarettes?" Then I pull up article after article on my phone showing how much less dangerous vaping is over smoking and then they are so confused. I mean, what? The news LIED to them??? :facepalm:

Ive gotten that a few times...more than once the antifreeze flame came up! Its sad what a 2 minute clip on the 5'o'clock local news can do to a persons sanity...

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Reading all this thread reinforces my decision not to use them in front of anyone else.
I used to smoke mostly here in my work/studio room, so that's where all my 'stuff' is too.

The rack that holds things like cTwists and Spinner ll's is behind my pen and notepaper rack, so not terribly apparent, and when not in use, the MVP's are tucked up the side of my bigger desk tidy!
When I had to change from cig-sized with pre-filled cartridges, my husband saw the e-Smarts I got and remarked then how odd they looked and that they were bigger than the cig size.
When I went on to get Evod, Twist and then Spinners, I didn't even show them to anyone ..and definitely not the MVP's ...I just can't be bothered with hearing any negative comments - I had enough of those and frowns when I smoked!

It's OK though - I managed to cut down from 35 cigarettes a day to zero in a couple of weeks and then went on to be totally cigarette free for 3 weeks before I actually told anyone ...and no-one had noticed. Both sons are married with their own homes, yet even they didn't notice when they came through the door!

I do have a few disposable cig-size ones and two batteries and a few cartridges (not much in the way of VG cartridges available) and those are what I pop in my pocket or purse when I go out anywhere.
I actually went out for lunch at a country pub twice in the past couple of months - 20 minutes drive each way and a couple of hours in the pub, and I didn't even use my little cig! Waited until I got home and used the 'big stuff' :2cool:

My Mum has been gone since '85, but I do wonder what she'd have thought of e-cigs :)

EvilBeast

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ive gotten that a few times...more than once the antifreeze flame came up! Its sad what a 2 minute clip on the 5'o'clock local news can do to a persons sanity...

I've had that happen one time at a 7-11 where the cashier saw my vape pen and said "you know those are worse than cigarettes,They actually have anti-freeze and they're killing you" and smirked & laughed at me in extremely arrogant fashion. He wasn't even saying it to "help" or "save" me but he was saying like he thought I was stupid. I was do dumb-founded that someone would say something like that to someone he doesn't even know I couldn't even make a remark back.I totally understand why people hide it or want to be stealthy. Its gets very tiring very fast explaining vaping to everyone. Hopefully soon it'll get more well know and we won't feel like outcasts for trying to break ourselves free from cigarettes.

Ms.Cruzer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Woodland Park, CO
I have to admit, when it see a cop coming toward me on the road, I think about it and don't hold the vape gear up. I mean, no sense asking for an interrogation. We have so many vape stores now, I think surely they're familiar but I'm not really wanting to go there.

My mom has been gone for years but I think she'd be all for it. My kids are very supportive and they're both non-smokers. My youngest did his own research and he knew more than I did at first! I got a LOT of grief from them about smoking and just always replied with a snide remark like "who's the parent here?" (They were grown at that point). Now, I say, "thanks you guys for caring about me".

Shoebunnie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Plano, TX
My parents live in San Antonio. One day they were downtown and there was a guy with his PV hanging out on a bench. My dad pointed it out to my mom and said the guy was doing illegal stuff. My mom was a closet smoker for years and is now a closet vaper. She knew what it was but didn't want to bust herself and just said "that's interesting".

Shoebunnie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Plano, TX
I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around the negative comments people have made. I live in Texas for PBC sake and no one has ever said anything like that to me or my friends who vape. Maybe our local news is too busy slamming the nonconservative political parties to preach about the antifreeze hazards of vaping.

Roxy how old is your mom? I can't help but think her negativity is a generational thing. I do have a ton of Medicare aged patients who vape but I guess when you have an addiction and coronary disease you are motivated to look for a cigarette alternative.

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
Shoebunnie I think the acceptance of it is more western oriented. I vape openly in my car, wave at the cop sitting next to me at the light, everyone doesn't really notice for the most part. One guy honked at me at a stop light and held up his snazzy tube mod and I held up my Reo and we gave each other the thumbs up and went on our way. In Boulder however it's like you're skinning cats alive with their reaction though the other now legal stuff is everywhere. South of there in the western suburbs it's pretty okay until you get more in the richer neighborhoods and people are visibly shocked and horrified. Again, it's all that crappy propaganda and their reactions are like grabbing their kids and running for cover. :rolleyes:

gopher_byrd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2013
Peoples Republic of California
Compared to some of you I'm an old fart, I think I'm turning into a curmudgeon where I don't give a chit... I'm vaping, I'm happy, I'm not smoking, joke em if they can't take a f... I know that vaping is better for me than smoking and I'm going to enjoy it. I started with ego style and thought they were huge and tried to hide them. After a while I started to not care who saw me vaping. If I'm outside and not in a crowd and I want a vape I'm going to.

Earlier this year I spent 7 weeks in Singapore where vaping is illegal. I found that nobody cared there, of course I wouldn't flaunt it if there was police near. I think that trip is what gave me the more relaxed attitude back here in the states.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Naw, it is becoming more widespread. My hubby says that most of the smokers from his building are now vaping. He waved at them once to be supportive and one guy with a Reo came over ready to start a huge debate and my hubby cut off his tirade before he could get going by saying, "Hey, is that a Reo? Nice drip tip!" The guy was stopped in his tracks for a moment then said, "...erm.....yeah! Do you vape?" And my husband told him about me and how I was over a year smober and they were fascinated that not only he was supportive but didn't mind chatting to them as they vaped. :lol:

I now have a new word. Smober. Classic. :)

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO
Compared to some of you I'm an old fart, I think I'm turning into a curmudgeon where I don't give a chit... I'm vaping, I'm happy, I'm not smoking, joke em if they can't take a f... I know that vaping is better for me than smoking and I'm going to enjoy it. I started with ego style and thought they were huge and tried to hide them. After a while I started to not care who saw me vaping. If I'm outside and not in a crowd and I want a vape I'm going to.

Earlier this year I spent 7 weeks in Singapore where vaping is illegal. I found that nobody cared there, of course I wouldn't flaunt it if there was police near. I think that trip is what gave me the more relaxed attitude back here in the states.

When I smoked and my doctor would give me crap about it or anyone did I'd alway said, "Eh, it's my petulant teenager returning to shoot the bird at my body that is failing no matter what I do. It's not like it will help me walk or run marathons or anything...pfffft! Just think of it as a slow form of suicide."

Then I up and quit?? Imagine my dismay. I didn't need or want to quit it was just so yummy and fun and smoking was boring and yucky so there went my slow suicide plan...*sigh* So I had fun torturing anyone who would start on a rant about the evils of vaping by saying, "Oh I hope so!! I thought my nihilistic death wish was ruined! Now you are giving me hope again! Thank you!!" And they would go :blink: and never say another word about it. :evil:

Amberina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I've had that happen one time at a 7-11 where the cashier saw my vape pen and said "you know those are worse than cigarettes,They actually have anti-freeze and they're killing you" and smirked & laughed at me in extremely arrogant fashion. He wasn't even saying it to "help" or "save" me but he was saying like he thought I was stupid. I was do dumb-founded that someone would say something like that to someone he doesn't even know I couldn't even make a remark back.I totally understand why people hide it or want to be stealthy. Its gets very tiring very fast explaining vaping to everyone. Hopefully soon it'll get more well know and we won't feel like outcasts for trying to break ourselves free from cigarettes.

My brother in law is exactly the same. I got my children's father to quit smoking and start vaping last year. His brother is ALWAYS making those remarks like ''you know that e-cigarettes have been proven to be way worse than smoking' and ' the chemicals in those things cause cancer you know'. He thinks we're freaking idiots for vaping. He smokes. I finally realized he was just mad because he was having to buy his cigarettes and not take them from his brother anymore. He's such an arrogant jerk. (and that's saying a lot because I like everyone!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread