So now with FDA and Big tobacco both wanting to play are what is going to happen.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doglips

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2012
Cocoa Fl
So reading all the FDA stuff and it seems to me that you got the pharmaceutical companies that make nicotine gum and patches, pushing the FDA to come after the vapeing world like were terrorist holding a bus load of kittens and puppies hostage. And looking at the numbers were talking billions of revenue, so not going to go ok change the words don’t call it stop smoking call it recreational and were cool. They got the money and lobbyist to make our life really painful.

On the other side, we got big tobacco looking at our spending and their loss of revenue and thy want it. But they being a reputation of a child molester. We cant trust them. But they have money and political influence to soften the FDA impact.

The suppliers of course have to be concerned, the government says do not sell or go to jail and there inventory becomes expensive dust collection. OR if big tobacco comes in it could destroy the small companies that we all enjoy. But if they don’t stock up then they cant sell now and make money to pay there bills. But they have to be playing a guessing game....

So I guess the big question is what do you think is going to happen?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

babyk1352012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Washington State
They all want their piece, filthy .......s. All I know is if it gets too expensive I won't be doing anything. I REFUSE to go back to tobacco, and i REFUSE to let them suck every penny i got out of my pocket. Really sucks though, I really do enjoy vaping. I'm not sure what to think though, I've talked to a few local vendors and they reallt don't seem to concerned with it all, they keep telling me the fda has tried to regulate it they will keep trying of course, but in their honest opinion they don't see e-cigs being banned....now as far as taxed? Not sure what they think about that

meli.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Private Suite GroenDakkies
I'm highly optimistic the FDA will legislate for an: only sell USP grade Nicotine liquid at pre-determined strengths to the public with Mfrs requiring permits to sell/purchase Higher Strength (freebase) nicotine liquid by that I mean over 50mg.

Personally, I welcome this kind of action. I think if they do not regulate Nicotine Liquid the market will be flooded with Cowboys selling all sorts of low grade products. Not everybody has access to ECF and the like. They have to consider the Masses. When the FDA makes its decision it will be based on the lowest common denominator.

I also believe Tobacco Companies have eventually found their Holy Grail. Electronic cigarettes have given them the ability to Redeem themselves. Society has made them accountable for All its ills. Yet has failed to take responsibility for its individual choices. And now they alone have the finances and lobbyists to fight this campaign forward for us, especially if the 'Decision' should go to Appeal.

The Governments approach to the Smoking bans has seriously limited their coffers. They didn't foresee this initially and BP lead them by nose promising that should people stop smoking there would be a lot less disease resulting in less strain on medical services, however this has been eclipsed by obesity related illnesses and yet Smokers are still demonized for their habits and their money is still welcome. As for medical services they are under unprecedented levels of strain even with a decline in smokers.

The result of revenues lost due the drop in smoking numbers and the cost of Subsidising nicotine cessation products and quit campaigns, has forced governments to look elsewhere for stealth taxes. I don't think Fat Tax* is a distant reality either.

Yet Governments dilemma with Vaping is that it is tobacco harm reduction, taxing it A Lot will be counter intuitive and inevitably cause Negative publicity in the long run. I don't think anyone can honestly predict the outcome right now but,

I live in Hope.

Fat Tax: One which I welcome and believe it should be applied on all Flights, weigh the individual Then their luggage.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The excise tax on tobacco is 36%,so get ready too pay more for juice.

Ya Doglips, who knows what will happen. It's all a crap-shoot right right now.

I agree with you Heavyrocker. Hope it will just be price increases for the US and that Canada will only follow as I think they sometimes do. The new regulations proposed in the EU will kill a lot of people there if they go into affect. There is of course the black market that would develop, but I doubt that would help nearly as many people as more relaxed laws would have.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
The obvious alternative tax villans for me, to replace smoking, arent vaping (being a harm reduction, that would be eventually veiwed very negatively).

The current non-smoking villans are - petrol and pollution, refined sugar, alcohol, and currently illicit drugs.

Should the later be legalised as it is being in some places, no problem, tax the heck out of that, issue over. If not, tax petrol more, carbon tax, refined sugar and alcohol more - all regarded as "wrong" on some level, so no complaints.

Governments always tax things that people feel bad about, so they don't complain. Nobody will have a decent fighting rally against a pollution tax, a petrol tax hike, a carbon tax, a booze tax hike, or a new tax on sugar.

And if drugs are legalised at any point, and in any state, they can tax the bejesus out of those, because they cant complain either.

No need to worry about lost taxes for smoking, theres plenty of other moral villans left to tar further with a big arsed brush. Vaping might be taking in outright lies from the anti-smoking lobby, but that crap wont hold up in the public eye, or in any long term fashion.

And the nrt companies still have money to make. Not like smoking is easy to give up - still plenty of revenue for all to have. Big tobacco is so mellow about the whole thing, there like, yeah, that seems like it might be big one day. Lets look into it. Hey blue looks like its doing well, that might pay off as a future investment. Etc. Real, speculative, hey this should be good one day stuff. Not exactly, on damn we are losing money (which is lol, cause they are making loads of money, in fact its the government taxes that is costing them the most)

The big deal about the deeming regs, is the limitations on advertising, sale, etc and possibly the technology itself - not so much a tax, or ban, but over stifling over regulation. Lets hope that doesnt happen though, and the argument has been properly made against it.

Theres no talk of taxing vaping, nor would it stand up. Because we dont feel bad/guilty about it, and wed fight it, and our argument would be just and sound, and theyd end up looking plain evil. The idea of a vaping tax is ridiculous IMO.

Besides, as I point out, theres plenty of things people do feel guilty enough about not to complain loudly for, pre-villanised - sugar, petrol, carbon emissions, booze, drugs. Pick on the easy targets, if you want to raid the smaller kids pockets for lunch money.

Last edited:

Absintheur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
north central Indiana
Now is the time for e-cig companies to come clean on the equivalency ratio between e-cig cartridges and cigarettes. We all know a carto does not equal 1-2 packs of cigarettes but that is how e-juice will be taxed. So if the e-cig companies will start telling the truth it will save us money in the end.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I think everyone who has posted on this thread has been a bit too optimistic. I gladly would pay more tax and live with minimal regulation. Please do some research. The FDA is not willing to play! Their history shows that the only thing they want to do is make e-cigs go away. If they OVER REGULATE they will have won. Smaller vendors will not be able to operate under such stringint guidelines. Not to mention what will be done to our juice ie, lower nic count etc...For anyone who wants a different perspective of whats going on please read some of the legislative threads. They have some really informative topics that will enlighten alot of us. I sure hope many of you are right! I would sign on TODAY If things werent going to change much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread