So the newb went and bought a mech mod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been discussed before; I just wanted to share my experiences...

I am new to vaping - only been doing it for about a month or two. I started out with a Halo Triton system, but rapidly realized that there were better options out there. So that brought me to the iTaste VTR. I have had the VTR for a few weeks now, and I must say I really love it! The ability to change not only the voltage but the wattage as well is very nice...

Well, I recently started reading about Mechanical Mods and I really like the simplicity of them. Don't get me wrong the VTR is great, but I am an electronics guy (I'm a service Engineer for a medical instruments company), so I like the fact that you have to 'pay attention' to your setup when running a mech mod (not that you don't with the VTR, but you know what I mean)....

So I went and bought a Smok Magneto V2 and it just got delivered yesterday. I also ordered a Kick 2 for it, as I like the added protection (more on that later) and the fact that you can regulate your wattage....So I installed an IMR 18500 battery with the Kick2 (tight fit with the 18500!!) set at 10 watts. On top I am running a Kanger Aerotank @ 2 Ohms. I put the tank on top, pushed in the magnetic switch (which is fantastic, btw!!), and voila!! Pure vaping bliss!!

So fast forward a few hours. I am vaping away, and all of a sudden I push in the magnetic fire button, and I just get no vapor; just a 'clicking' sound coming from the Kick (click-click-click-click)...Immediately I think "great...the Kick is broken"....so I removed the kick and just put the battery in the tube. I hit the fire button again, and the battery immediately got really hot!! As it turns out, the Aerotank (with a brand new coil head) was shorted!! Don't know how that happened, but it did... So I put a Davide BDC on the Magneto and it fired no problem....So It is nice to know that the Kick adds a level of protection to your mech mod...definitely a great investment....

All in all, I am really liking the Magneto with the Kick2 installed. I get a perfect vape every time @ 10 watts, and it's nice to know I have some adjustability there. I would definitely recommend the Smok Magneto to a newb who wants to get into mech mods. The mod is really nice quality; great threading and the magnetic switch is a nice touch...I know some people who've done reviews say that the threading is not up to par on the Magneto, but mine seems to be just fine...I also like how the center Pin is adjustable....I am currently waiting on an HCigar Kayfun 3.1 clone and cannot wait to start building my own coils!!

I can definitely see how mech mods can be addicting...I am sure this will not be my last!!

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
The click click click was the kick telling you the battery was low. It got really hot when you took the kick out because of the battery being low I believe. It's not good to run your batteries too low when using a mech.

That could be....but the battery was freshly charged I believe.....I metered out the battery and it was reading 4 VDC, and I think the Kick cuts out at 3.2 VDC.....when I metered out the AeroTank coil head I did confirm that it was shorted. I also put the AeroTank on my VTR and it said "non", which I believe is a shorted head....but it's good to know that the Kick 'alerts' you when your battery is low...

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
It's important to check for shorts before screwing that atty onto your mech, and it's a real good idea to have the means to do that, like a multimeter or the neat little gizmo below:

The 510 connection on the right checks your ohms, the one on the left you can screw your mech onto then hit the button and it will show what charge is left in your battery. A very nice little gizmo to have. In this pic there's a Protank coil screwed into the 510 connection on the right where you would screw your atty in.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Nice choice, I wanted to get one of those, but it was OOS at my favorite vape shop, so I got a Nemesis clone instead.

I totally enjoyed using a clearo on my mech, I swear this setup gave me a more enjoyable vape than my Vamo, but wait until you get into RBAs. The learning curve can be a little steep, depending on which one you get, but the results are totally worth it.

-- Glenn

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been discussed before; I just wanted to share my experiences...

I am new to vaping - only been doing it for about a month or two. I started out with a Halo Triton system, but rapidly realized that there were better options out there. So that brought me to the iTaste VTR. I have had the VTR for a few weeks now, and I must say I really love it! The ability to change not only the voltage but the wattage as well is very nice...

Well, I recently started reading about Mechanical Mods and I really like the simplicity of them. Don't get me wrong the VTR is great, but I am an electronics guy (I'm a service Engineer for a medical instruments company), so I like the fact that you have to 'pay attention' to your setup when running a mech mod (not that you don't with the VTR, but you know what I mean)....

So I went and bought a Smok Magneto V2 and it just got delivered yesterday. I also ordered a Kick 2 for it, as I like the added protection (more on that later) and the fact that you can regulate your wattage....So I installed an IMR 18500 battery with the Kick2 (tight fit with the 18500!!) set at 10 watts. On top I am running a Kanger Aerotank @ 2 Ohms. I put the tank on top, pushed in the magnetic switch (which is fantastic, btw!!), and voila!! Pure vaping bliss!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread