So they say some juice cracks plastic tanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebDude

Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
So I'm checking out Mt baker vapors, want to try out some juice.

Fortunately for me, they mention on certain flavors that this may crack plastic tanks. Which I remember seeing on here, but had totally forgotten about.

So that was good.

Less good, would be my desire to try some citrus-y stuff, which I sadly removed from said shopping cart on the day in question.

I'm working with spinners and EVODs right now, it looks like pretty much the most logical thing to do would be to grab a couple protanks.

True or false?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yes, the Protanks have pyrex glass, so they are safe with all flavors. Also, Smoktech just launched their Vivi Nova pyrex tanks.

Take a look at this blog I did about juice delivery devices that are safe for cinnamon and citrus flavors:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...6-something-safe-cinnamon-citrus-flavors.html

It has a current list of flavors that ECF members have had that cracked or melted a plastic delivery device. A video of a tank cracking. A picture gallery of safe juice delivery devices.

Last edited:

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Definately true. I am new here also. I think Ocelot or Baditude did a blog post on that. Not sure. But if you do a search there is a thread that lists the known juices that can crack - or melt - a plastic tank. I just bought a spinner and also a Protank for the tank cracking juices. Also, check out Youtube. I saw a video or two that showed what happens.

I believe that the cinnamons and citrus type juices are the bad actors. But there was quite a list. I should have printed it out or saved it so I could directly refer you to it. I am sure there will be someone with more experience posting here soon.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'd be a little more concerned about inhaling something that can melt polycarbonate, not what tank to use.

That's a rather ignorant statement to make. There is absolutely no evidence that the flavors that react with polycarbonate plastic have any harmful effects on the human body from vaping.

Millions of people enjoy drinking soda pop without experiencing harmful effects. However, what do most people put on their car's corroded battery cables to remove the crud? Same anology.

Certain flavors react with polycarbonate which affects the molecular bonding of the plastic. As the bonds are broken, the plastic degrades (cracks or melts). It is not that the liquid is acidic, a comon misconception.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
That's a rather ignorant statement to make. There is absolutely no evidence that the flavors that react with polycarbonate plastic have any harmful effects on the human body from vaping.

Millions of people enjoy drinking soda pop without experiencing harmful effects. However, what do most people put on their car's corroded battery cables to remove the crud? Same anology.

Certain flavors react with polycarbonate which affects the molecular bonding of the plastic. As the bonds are broken, the plastic degrades (cracks or melts). It is not that the liquid is acidic, a comon misconception.

I'm pretty sure if people didn't have mucus stomach linings and the soda were to sit in one's unlined stomach for a day or two, it would probably eat right through it.

Odd how I have read through quite a few posts concerning severe reactions people have had when inhaling liquids which just happen to crack tanks. Surely it must just be a coincidence...

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
OP: FWIW, my girlfriend is currently rocking an Evod and Vivi with DIY pineapple made from Mt. Baker's flavor at 15%. Both have been through at least three tankfuls (she's been using the juice for a week), and neither are clouding up.

Has anyone else forgotton that they're using a plastic-eating liquid in a plastic tank and had nothing bad happen?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Here's a little background you might find helpful:

» Why Do Some E-liquids Crack Plastic Tanks?

@ stevegmu, there's no proof anything we vape is 100% safe. If you don't feel comfortable vaping certain liquids, then don't.

Here's my blog on the subject:

RIP.gif

EEEKKK! What happened to my tank?

WebDude

Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
I have considered the possibility that these tank-damaging juices might not be the best thing to inhale. Then again, lack of any real certainty as to the long term effects of vaping in general is most of what kept me from making the switch for so long.

Meanwhile, I spent 20 years smoking cigarettes, which I knew would kill me, so I might not be the sharpest hammer in the knife drawer anyway.

I was just having a conversation recently about someone who used to suck on lemons, and it eventually took a bunch of enamel off of her teeth and caused all kinds of problems. That may or may not be relevant, but I do have it in my head not to make a citrus my everyday vape. I'd like to try a few things in moderation all the same.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Odd how I have read through quite a few posts concerning severe reactions people have had when inhaling liquids which just happen to crack tanks. Surely it must just be a coincidence...

It may be related, but your original post indicated that breaking down plastic in itself implies being damaging to your lungs, which is naive. Oxygen explodes and oxidizes metal but we breathe it. Water is a very strong solvent, but we eat, breathe and bathe in it.

You're making a different point once you mentioned you read several posts about severe reactions. Now the connection is between several reported cases of irritation and what they had in common. That's a far cry from what your first post suggested.

Not to mention there's plenty of oil diffusers in the world with citrus in them.

Last edited:

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
I was just having a conversation recently about someone who used to suck on lemons, and it eventually took a bunch of enamel off of her teeth and caused all kinds of problems. That may or may not be relevant, but I do have it in my head not to make a citrus my everyday vape. I'd like to try a few things in moderation all the same.

Again, huge difference between vaping a citrus e-juice and sucking on a lemon. A month's worth of vaping would yield less citrus juice than a single lemon wedge.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
OP: FWIW, my girlfriend is currently rocking an Evod and Vivi with DIY pineapple made from Mt. Baker's flavor at 15%. Both have been through at least three tankfuls (she's been using the juice for a week), and neither are clouding up.

Has anyone else forgotton that they're using a plastic-eating liquid in a plastic tank and had nothing bad happen?

"Tank Cracking" juices don't always damage tanks, or even if they do, it can take awhile. Vendors use different recipes, extra flavor shots can be a factor, as can how long a juice is in a tank and the exact type of plastic (how thick it is; polycarbonate vs polycarb blend). It took over a month for my Vivi Nova to start to degrade and it probably would have lasted at least a month more if I hadn't noticed something looked amiss (it wasn't leaking). I think the info is more of a heads up to watch the gear you already have or to keep in mind when thinking of buying new tanks. It also helps explain what might have happened to a tank that suddenly expired.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
This is a quote from the article I linked to a couple of post back:

But if you don’t use tanks, you certainly don’t need to avoid tank-cracking e-liquids on the spurious logic that “anything that cracks plastic can’t be good for a person”. If polycarbonate were a decent proxy for your lungs, you could inhale phosgene all day without any ill effects

ETA: But again, you have to do the research and find what you're comfortable with. I'm not going to try to talk anyone into vaping tank cracking liquids. What you like is none of my business.

Last edited:

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there

Yes, I got away with citrusy flavors in a vivi nova clone for a while. But rootbeer turned the plastic milky white overnight.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
To me the obvious solution if your going to vape these kinds of juices is SS or glass. While Im comfortable with vaping these juices. I just cant imagine vaping some dissolved plastic is the smartest thing I can do. Ya'll are welcome to do as you please but Ill spend a couple of extra dollars and buy delivery devices made from suitable materials I know will not have an issue.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
when in doubt ;) just drag out those old cartomizers ya'll know you have sitting around and use those....waiting on my metal vivi nova so in mean time I use my cartomizers for oils and other "offending juices"

I had a vivi nova arrive doa cracked to heck but eh lol I used it anyways the other night for the last bit of clove oil juice i had left lmfao by the time i was done with the 1ml (keeping in mind the thing was already damaged) it ate through the top of the tank and now it's a dripper (if it weren't already cracked to hell that is)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread