so this is a first just caught a coil on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgmetz89

Dec 19, 2013
Weirton, WV
Hold + and - on the SVD for 2 seconds to check the resistance. I always use a meter to check as well though. In a perfect world, the SVD shouldn't fire a direct short, but we all know this isn't Walgreens. Get in the habit of always checking your builds now and you'll be a lot safer later. Heck, I check mine every time I screw one on even though I use VW and not VV. Peace of mind. It is a good idea to check the voltage on your batteries every so often as well. Chargers can make mistakes too.

gVyrus

Feb 6, 2014
Baltimore Md.
Dry wick you say? This happened to me which got me here researching for answers. I got a single twisted 28g micro reading .59 ohms in a kraken with cotton wick, fresh 18650 imr 2000mAh and the coil caught fire is that kinda set up too much for cotton?Or a single coil? It was not dry fired with cotton just to make that clear. I tried the twisted for flavor.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
Dry wick you say? This happened to me which got me here researching for answers. I got a single twisted 28g micro reading .59 ohms in a kraken with cotton wick, fresh 18650 imr 2000mAh and the coil caught fire is that kinda set up too much for cotton?Or a single coil? It was not dry fired with cotton just to make that clear. I tried the twisted for flavor.

the wick needs to be totally saturated. it should look almost like a gel. you might need to use more or less cotton hard to say with out seeing it in person.

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
I thought for sure KODIAK™ was gonna say something like "Only you can prevent vaping fires" Guess I got my bears mixed up. Any way, glad you didn't get burnt or burn anything else other than your coil. Good lesson to be learned here. I haven't built any of my own yet but plan to eventually. Good to keep in mind that they can have the potential to ignite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread