So tired since quitting analogs!!! Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwood9

Aug 4, 2011
NC
I've used analogs my entire adult life, and switched from analogs to e-cigs 10 days ago. I also took the opportunity to go nicotine free. It's been surprisingly easy compared to my other attempts to reduce/eliminate nicotine. Also, I haven't had any major withdrawal symptoms. However, I've had one negative side-effect.

I keep reading about how people feel better after quitting analogs, but apparently I"m not there yet. I must not have realized how much of a stimulant effect analogs were having on my body, but I'm much less energetic than I was before going nicotine-free. I get sleepy shortly after eating dinner and struggle to stay awake past 10 p.m. In contrast, I've always had a reputation as a night owl.

Does anyone know whether this change is permanent? Am I just getting back to "normal?" I'm hoping that someone can persuade me that this lethargy is a temporary side-effect, and my body functioning will soon begin to improve to such an extent that it will regain some of the ground lost by reducing the volume of stimulants I was using via analogs.

birdbrains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2011
New York, NY
Gotta be the reduction to 0 nicotine. I definitely kept the nicotine and the only side-effect I have noticed since not smoking analogs for three weeks is actually how crazy awake I am. Haven't taken a nap in weeks and d*mn it's 1:30 almost and I'm still not asleep.

There's so many weird side-effects that can happen in your body when you quit nicotine, I know the times I got off of it for a week going cold turkey I would experience quite a few different things and the side-effects always seemed to be different.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
If you are using sweet flavors, try non-sweet. Occasionally someone is a borderline diabetic and find sweet juices w/ ethyl maltol sweetening mess with their blood sugar (typically cotton candy, bubble gum, caramels, RY4, maybe 555 - anything a burnt or cotton candy sugar flavoring would be the right sweetener for). Non-organic fruit flavors would likely be sweetened with Splendex/sucralose so those might be OK.

Other than that, even if you have not dropped nicotine, your body is getting used to being without the 4000 chemical in cigarettes including MAOI's and other stuff. Take vitamins for a while and remember to eat and drink well. And vaping can be drying - it's important to drink fluids.

And yeah, nicotine might have been helping you feel awake later.

Rwood9

Aug 4, 2011
NC
Wow, I can't believe how many thoughtful responses I've gotten in such a short period of time! I appreciate it a lot!

Another thing that I've read is that participating in ECF has served as a kind of informal "support group" for those of us who hope to use e-cigs as a way to reduce or quit analogs. I'm starting to become a believer!

Thanks again, and I hope that I'll be able to report in a few months that I remain analog/nicotine-free and that my energy has returned.

vsinner

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
Cyprus
I had the exact same thing, I cut back on coffee when I first switched and attributed the sleepiness to that. From what it sounds you have something a bit more noticeable because of the complete avoidance of Nicotine.

Like everything to do with quitting, it's temporary.. I'm back to my old and familiar 5hours a night and I'm much more energetic during the day (probably cause I'm breathing again). As other replies have mentioned, nicotine is a stimulant that you have become used to.. it will take a little bit for your body to compensate from losing it

light487

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I remember that after about 3-4 weeks after I switched to vaping, I suddenly had mad cravings for analogs. It wasn't hard to appease those cravings, just vape and the cravings are gone. I remember also that I discussed this and found that other people had similar experiences. So I am thinking that it is this 3-4 week point that you will start to "recover" from the analogs. I say "start to"... as in it will take a very long time to fully recover, if you ever do fully recover, but it's around that point that you start noticing the difference.

Religion

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
AZ
My very amateur guess is that your body is in shock. Sleep heals. Every time I give up nicotine or caffeine for an extended period of days my body starts to detox (which tends to include excessive sleeping). If it doesn't pass within a few weeks or starts to deeply concern you or becomes an unbearable burden on your day to day activities, please discuss it with your doctor.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
I'll have to agree with the OP. When I started vaping and quit cigs. I found myself pretty tired throughout the day and I suppose, it's what happens when you don't the 4000 + chemicals inside of cigs to keep you going throughout your day.

Also, I was a person that smoked most of his life. That might be another factor in how I was feeling. It might be the bodies way of recuperating from years and years......and years of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread