• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

So what are your favorite family friendly, faith friendly films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
Say the title of this post five times fast...
:laugh:

There's always the perennial favorites like Ben Hur, and The Ten Commandments.
But family and faith friendly films don't always have to be overtly Christian films. (As a matter of fact, there are plenty of hard core Christian films that I wish I could forget about. There's a lot of ham fisted, poorly acted and produced films out there that have become the laughing stock of the Christian community. And frankly some are just a down right embarrassment.)

So anyway, what are your favorite films?

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't know about "family films" Most movies marketed as "family friendly" are either cheesy or syrupy; way too dumb or way too sappy for our tastes. My kids aren't real young anymore, and I may have mentioned that we're history geeks. So when we sit down to all watch a movie together, it is usually a period piece. We like dramatizations of historical events. Most recently we watched The Agony and the Ecstasy and To Kill a King And because period movies often get many things wrong, we have good discussions about "what really happened." It often leads us into researching other aspects of the given time period, too.

Movies based on classic books can be enjoyable. I have the BBC production of Ivanhoe sitting on the shelf. A friend of mine who has daughters is very fond of Jane Austen movies. That genre of movie often leads us to the library to read the book the movie was based on.

For a combination of history and a great book, TNT did a series of Bible story movies. The ones I have seen so far have been excellent. Just by themselves, they are great action and adventure movies. The discussions of what really happened and why are good, and reading the book the movie was based on is always good.

~A

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Some of the Christian movies can be a little cheesy, but I watch them anyway, because you can't help but see Jesus in them. The 'Left Behind' movies are good, I loved 'The Moment After,' Janette Oakes 'Love' series, 'Blindside,' 'The Passion of the Christ' was awesome, 'Jesus of Nazareth' was a great mini-series....the best on the life of Jesus that I've seen. 'The Passion' is the best on the last 24 hours of Jesus' life.

THE WORSE ONE......'King of Kings.' Why? Because it has Jesus lying to His mom.:shock: Big faux paux!

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
It's when Jesus stopped by and told His mom that He would fix her chair when He came back from Jerusalem. She then said, "You won't be coming back." Oh.....really???!!! Of course He knew He wasn't coming back! Okay, so it was a 'white lie' however, Jesus never sinned. BIG BOO BOO in the film. If you get a chance to see it again, watch for it. I've always loved the music, etc., but when Mom, Daddy and my sister and myself watched it in the late 1980's, our mouths fell to the floor. Haven't watched it since. Watch Jesus of Nazareth, as that film personalized Him to me. I think it was done in the 1970's. The best production of His life that I've ever seen......but, that's just one person's opinion.:)

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I saw a very good Christian movie that was on TBN recorded this past weekend. It is called 'The Final Inquiry.' It was a well made movie, had Dolph Lungren in it with shoulder length hair....that was easy on the eyes.....:p It's about a Roman soldier sent from the Emperor of Rome to check into the likelihood of the man, Jesus, being raised from the grave, instead of a hoax. For those of you who have satellite, do a search on it and record it. I found it very good.:)

HarmonyPB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Houston, Texas, USA
www.facebook.com
When I was younger I would consult this website before going to see movies: Plugged In Online I was very picky about what I watched! Especially after seeing some pretty crazy things that I didn't think would be so bad!! I don't take every criticism they give to heart. But I like seeing what I might come across in a film before being shocked and embarassed! If you want to check it out they have lots of movies and you can look at reviews of movies you've seen before to give you an idea of their view. They also do music reviews. I like the reviews because they aren't so much "Only Christian movies should be watched" as they review all movies from a Christian view and many secular movies/music are given good reviews. Sometimes I've even seen reviews that suggest the movie would be better if the parents watched it without the children. And sometimes if there is a good movie with a couple of questionable scenes in it they give you topics you can discuss with the kids later after you watch the movie. Like I said, I really like the reviews even though I don't always agree with them.

I'm alot more lax about what I watch now so I can't really comment on any "family friendly" movies I've seen lately (I just don't watch out for that stuff anymore). But I do have to say that I am an adult with no children and I LOVE Veggietales!! I even have the older CD's and know all of the older songs (from when I was a teenager)! I've never seen the Passion of the Christ and don't plan to, I don't like B & G movies they make me sick to my stomach. The Blindside was mentioned somewhere, I loved that movie!! Along those lines I guess Remember the Titans is family friendly (right?), I love that movie too! Forgive me if I'm mistaken, I haven't seen it in a while and I'm pretty desensatized.

Lol, I guess this post is long enough. Onto other threads!

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Oh I love 'Remember the Titans.' I like Denzel Washington too, though. He's a preacher's kid.

I guess we all watch things we shouldn't from time to time. I know I do. We should always watch tv and movies as if Jesus is sitting next to us on the couch or the chair, eating popcorn right beside us......because He is....:blush:

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
Oh I love 'Remember the Titans.' I like Denzel Washington too, though. He's a preacher's kid.

I guess we all watch things we shouldn't from time to time. I know I do. We should always watch tv and movies as if Jesus is sitting next to us on the couch or the chair, eating popcorn right beside us......because He is....:blush:

This is true... amen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread