So What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
By no means all. Both of the shops near my home in PA are still open.

Just to be clear, the governor of PA since 2014, Tom Wolf, is not a Republican.

Several of the shops near (South Central PA) me closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Several of the shops near (South Central PA) me closed.

Retail shops come and go. You would want to find out why. In the best of times vape speciality shops are a shakey business. If the trade survives open systems are going to be found in tobacco shops and legal weed shops so there is more than one kind of product to pay the bills. I would expect mixing and rebuilding to be the norm for anyone intendiing to be a life long vaper.

Retail shops come and go. You would want to find out why. In the best of times vape speciality shops are a shakey business. If the trade survives open systems are going to be found in tobacco shops and legal weed shops so there is more than one kind of product to pay the bills. I would expect mixing and rebuilding to be the norm for anyone intendiing to be a life long vaper.
I'm holding out for vape shapes to stay as a stand alone *fingers crossed* they can be the goto place for nicotine/cbd/marijuana vape devices and accessories including eliquid.

I'm planning to stop into the vape shop in Lake Placid on Monday. Only been in there once before to buy a mod for a friend. Really liked the shop and the guy running it. I want to talk with him...I figure he'll be closing soon :(
I don't know who's in Lake Placid, but not everyone is planning on closing. We have four shops in NY and we are not making any plans on shutting down. All of our energy is going to educating everyone who walks in the door, and fighting it with NYSVA. Hopefully when you go in there, they tell you they're doing the same.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I don't know who's in Lake Placid, but not everyone is planning on closing. We have four shops in NY and we are not making any plans on shutting down. All of our energy is going to educating everyone who walks in the door, and fighting it with NYSVA. Hopefully when you go in there, they tell you they're doing the same.
I hope so too. There's a lot of smokers in the area, and that's the only vape shop within an hour's drive. I'll report back.

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
agh, that's awful. I understand why they're doing it but we really need every shop to fight against this no matter where they are.

The tax was only to make up something like 1% of the budget. Thanks to our wonderful Democrat (spend spend spend) Governor, Tax ‘em Tom! Never met a tax he didn’t like!

• Agree
Reactions: gerrymi

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA

A 40% floor tax on everything imposed by the governor is why they closed. So the shops would have owed the State MILLIONS. At the very least, most shops would owe $1,000,000.00. That tax included everything in the store.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I believe the true purpose of the flavor bans are to pave the way for IQOS heat-not-burn which are probably subjec to the master settlement agreement payments. So government gets rid of vaping so they have a product that's practical to tax. These guys are smarter than we think.

I believe the true purpose of the flavor bans are to pave the way for IQOS heat-not-burn which are probably subjec to the master settlement agreement payments. So government gets rid of vaping so they have a product that's practical to tax. These guys are smarter than we think.
I agree with everything other than "These guys are smarter than we think." *wink* How long did it take how many people to come up with the flavor ban? (last comment not based on any facts)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Izan

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Forgive me if this is information that has been posted here many times before, but just last week I learned that WA is putting a $0.09 tax on each milliliter of eliquid sold...that’s NINE dollars on every 100ml bottle, NOT including sales tax. My old boss at the vape shop explained that two (small) shelves of his product was going to cost him over $1000 for some reason. The owners are moving their warehouse to Idaho.

My question is, now that the President is likely going to sign the flavor ban (I have no proof yet he has recanted or will recant), what is going to happen to all that revenue WA and other states with new/high eliquid taxes they wanted to make “for cancer research”? It seems counterintuitive at least to support a flavor ban when the taxes were going to bring in millions of dollars for whatever they were going to use it for. It makes sense to me that governors would push back against bans in order to take in that tax money.

• Winner

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I agree with everything other than "These guys are smarter than we think." *wink* How long did it take how many people to come up with the flavor ban? (last comment not based on any facts)
To justify an emergency order they needed something that appeared to be an emergency, like tainted blackmarket THC that happens to be consumed with a vaporizer. They did some nasty dangerous lying along the way. They are preparing the way for IQOS.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Forgive me if this is information that has been posted here many times before, but just last week I learned that WA is putting a $0.09 tax on each milliliter of eliquid sold...that’s NINE dollars on every 100ml bottle, NOT including sales tax. My old boss at the vape shop explained that two (small) shelves of his product was going to cost him over $1000 for some reason. The owners are moving their warehouse to Idaho.

My question is, now that the President is likely going to sign the flavor ban (I have no proof yet he has recanted or will recant), what is going to happen to all that revenue WA and other states with new/high eliquid taxes they wanted to make “for cancer research”? It seems counterintuitive at least to support a flavor ban when the taxes were going to bring in millions of dollars for whatever they were going to use it for. It makes sense to me that governors would push back against bans in order to take in that tax money.
An eliquid tax can't come close to replacing the tobacco tax. Consider this math. I used to spend $3,000 a year smoking a carton a week. A liter bottle of 100 mg nic will last me 4 years. My cost of ingredients is less than 10 cents a day, under 40 a year. If that bottle of nic were taxed the same as the cigarettes it would cost $12,000. In states with much higher cig taxes it could be twic or three times that amount.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
An eliquid tax can't come close to replacing the tobacco tax. Consider this math. I used to spend $3,000 a year smoking a carton a week. A liter bottle of 100 mg nic will last me 4 years. My cost of ingredients is less than 10 cents a day, under 40 a year. If that bottle of nic were taxed the same as the cigarettes it would cost $12,000. In states with much higher cig taxes it could be twic or three times that amount.
I figured I was being naive. Makes sense tho. :(

• Love
Reactions: Kzzk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You're comparing the cost of DIY liquid to commercial cigs. That's not exactly apples-to-apples.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
You're comparing the cost of DIY liquid to commercial cigs. That's not exactly apples-to-apples.
I compare what I spent for years on cigs in Michigan with what I spend for the replacement, DIY. My experience would be typical and it is what matters. Nearly $3,000 a year is a significant saving. Most of that money went to governments. They want me to go back to paying that so they ban flavors, close the vape shops and try to sell me IQOS which I'm sure will pay the tobacco taxes. Follow the money always seems to uncover the most plausible explanations.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread