so with the discussion of exploding batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jova3

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
El Paso currently
what's the deal with this issue, and why has it become an issue? I kinda read through the other thread and skimmed through it. 100 post.... a lil hard to read it all in one sitting. ADD acting up.

I'm not going to stop vaping or using a HV mod because of it, I just want to know what precautions should be taken to make sure it doesn't happen with me.
(edit: should I be wearing ballistic eye protection while vaping? lol!)

The only thing I thought I had to worry about with vaping is catching a communicable disease from strangers at the bar wanting to try it lol

edit: what were the circumstances in these cases, and how would it be avoidable in the future?

Last edited:

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
Long story short, to be somewhat safer, use protected batteries or at least the ones equivalent to the Tenergy LiFePO4's that come with the Prodigy. It kinda depends on what mod you're using. Sorry that's not a very detailed answer, but there's just too much battery chemistry and debate that has already been described in the threads you were trying to wade through to even attempt to rehash it again, even if I could do that halfway intelligently. :)

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Use protected batteries and the charger meant for that battery. Don't run it to low on the discharge, in other words keep it charged and fresh. Don't overcharge. Don't do the Kirby Vacuum on it and I keep checking the temp on mine. Always torn off the unit before storing and remove the atty or carto like when you put it in your pocket. Use good quality batteries, you get what you pay for.

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
Can those pila chargers handle the Tenergy 14500s?

yes, it works with the 14500 tenergy protected and unprotected. but not 10440
works with most batts 14500 and bigger.
check the candle power forums for more info.
this charger is highly reccomended.

at 4.1 volts, you get over 2000 cycles.
at 4.2 volts, you get roughly 500 cycles.
at 4.3 volts, you get under 100 cycles.
at 4.4 volts, you get less than 5 cycles.

the pila charger charges my batts to 4.15 which is personally a sweet spot.
charging higher you get a trade off for less cycles.
this charger will save you money over the multi-chargers like I used to own if you charge batts frequently.

A must own for the serious vaper using batts.

Last edited:

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
pila charger?

I'm also looking up other batteries that can be used with the V2.

AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery
these are 3.6v, would these be safe?

I have no clue what mAh is either...

I've not personally used these (so I can't say much) but I do know
safe depends mostly on the user.
battery abuse is more common than you think.

when using unprotected batts, you ARE the protection circuit.

*be sure to check them with a multimeter to make sure they are charging correctly.

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
pila charger?

I'm also looking up other batteries that can be used with the V2.

AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery
these are 3.6v, would these be safe?

I have no clue what mAh is either...

I'm pretty sure you only want to use (2) 3.0v batteries in the V2.

Mah rating is the capacity of the battery. The higher the mah rating the longer a battery lasts. A good analogy is two identical vehicles, one having a 14 gallon gas tank and the other having a 20 gallon tank. The one with a 20 gallon tank will drive farther between refills. Same thing with mah ratings. Higher rating equals longer battery life.

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
use protected batteries AND the pila charger.
this charger actually stops charging when the light turns green.
no need to baby sit the batteries.

learn about li-ion batts.
own a multimeter.

Is your charger different from the one Pila is currently selling?
The following is from their site Pila USA:
Charging process
Stage 1 – Automatic analyzing battery status
Stage 2 – Quick charge
Stage 3 – Slow charge
Stage 4 – Standby mode, trickle charge

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
Is your charger different from the one Pila is currently selling?
The following is from their site Pila USA:
Charging process
Stage 1 – Automatic analyzing battery status
Stage 2 – Quick charge
Stage 3 – Slow charge
Stage 4 – Standby mode, trickle charge

yes, it says it trickle charges but it does not trickle charge.

pila f'ed up when they said it has trickle charge.

I knew this before I purchased becuase a mod noted it on candlepowerforums.

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Even if it does trickle that's not a totally bad thing.
If it's computer controlled it's simply stating that it maintains peak performance over long periods by monitoring the battery and charging when needed.

The flashlight guys have been experimenting with Li-Ion / LIPO long before they PV came along and I think it's safe to say that the FL's pull a lot more ampacity than a PV.

*and they've had some mishaps in the flashlight world too*

The problem comes when counterfit or small companies produce cheap, under rated, unsafe batteries at a ubber cheap prices. People then buy them and use them in high performance / drain applications.

And.... just because some MOD says it doesn't when the manufacturer clearly states it does, doesn't make it not true... I'd have to go with the companies statement and lean more to the side of safety...

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
If it's computer controlled it's simply stating that it maintains peak performance over long periods by monitoring the battery and charging when needed....

I believe that's the way my inexpensive Chinese chargers operate as well. In order to monitor the battery's state, there needs to be some current flow. The few times I've forgotten and left batteries in a charger overnight, the batteries have measured at 4.2v (for 14500 and 10440s) and 3.6v. (for CR2s) in the morning.

I've been prepared to spend 80 bucks for a programmable charger like my model airplane friends use to charge their battery packs ElectriFly | Triton2 Charger but I can't see any added safety in making the upgrade. Is there something I'm missing?

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
trickle charge is a bad thing for li-ions.
I just don't understand how that can be a good thing for li-ions at all.
batts have exploded and burned down whole houses becuase of trickle charge. (not likly but has happened)

the company is incorrect about trickle charge.
serveral (people including) me have tested this.
it does not trickle charge.
if you don't believe me test it for your self.

If it's computer controlled it's simply stating that it maintains peak performance over long periods by monitoring the battery and charging when needed.

The flashlight guys have been experimenting with Li-Ion / LIPO long before they PV came along and I think it's safe to say that the FL's pull a lot more ampacity than a PV.

*and they've had some mishaps in the flashlight world too*

The problem comes when counterfit or small companies produce cheap, under rated, unsafe batteries at a ubber cheap prices. People then buy them and use them in high performance / drain applications.

And.... just because some MOD says it doesn't when the manufacturer clearly states it does, doesn't make it not true... I'd have to go with the companies statement and lean more to the side of safety...

Last edited:

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
I believe that's the way my inexpensive Chinese chargers operate as well. In order to monitor the battery's state, there needs to be some current flow. The few times I've forgotten and left batteries in a charger overnight, the batteries have measured at 4.2v (for 14500 and 10440s) and 3.6v. (for CR2s) in the morning.

I've been prepared to spend 80 bucks for a programmable charger like my model airplane friends use to charge their battery packs ElectriFly | Triton2 Charger but I can't see any added safety in making the upgrade. Is there something I'm missing?

were they protected batts?

like I said mine stops at 4.15 which pays for the charger anyways if you're a serious vaper.
If I want to charge higher I press the reset button.

the fact that it doesn't charge to 4.2 or higher is one of the main selling points to me because I don't like killing my batteries.

Last edited:

KonaNeil

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Big Island, Hawaii
were they protected batts?

like I said mine stops at 4.15 which pays for the charger anyways if you're a serious vaper.
If I want to charge higher I press the reset button.

the fact that it doesn't charge to 4.2 or higher is one of the main selling points to me because I don't like killing my batteries.

Protected 14500s, unprotected 10440s and LifePo4 CR2s in my 3.0 charger. To be accurate, my latest Trustfire Protected stop charging at 4.21. Don't know why they're different.

Do all Pila chargers stop at 4.15 or do you think yours is a fluke? While I prefer the batteries when they are over 4v, I too would be willing to throw away five hundredths of a volt for longer life/safety.

Does anyone here use battery testers? If so, what do they test?

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
if you don't believe me test it for your self.

It's not a matter of believing you or not.. I really don't care...
I don't own a PILA charger and wouldn't pay $49 to charge 14500 batts.

I pull my batts when they're done. They never sit on any charger when I'm gone, in the shower, in the garage, asleep or whatever.

My theory on the trickle was that the charger would TURN OFF when they reached 4.2v and if they dropped below a certain volatge (Oh let's say 4.0v) while being left in the charger (oh let's say for a month) it'd restart and take them back up to 4.2.
I didn't think it would continuosly bleed electrons into them....

I charge 6S 25.2v / 5500mah lipos and never have a single issue with them. Never had one blow up and none of those are protected.
I just try to use a little common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread