• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

So, you all quitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
Well VIPers, with the latest FDA findings regarding e-cigs, is anyone planning on going back to analogs?

I can't help but admit that I was thinking "Oh great, might as well go back to analogs."

Then I thought about how that's the addiction speaking.

The bottom line is that I am spending $100.00/month on e-smoking...even if it has the same risks as analogs, I'm still saving a ton.

So, what's your take?

Sharky

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix AZ
I wont quit vaping no matter what. I save at least $300 bucks a month, I FEEL BETTER, I dont wheeze anymore and can breathe, taste, and smell again, and I dont smell like a freakin cancer stick anymore. The FDA and the government can kiss my .... There will always be a black market and I will be a big proponent if it comes to that. If they get banned you will see PV's that are made to look like nic inhalers so as not to bring attention to it. I am sick to freakin death of our nanny government mind set and all the smoke nazi's trying to tell me how to live my life. The government and FDA have failed the people they represent time and time again. What makes anybody think they are right this time. I dont care if vaping is dangerous, it is a hell of a lot safer than analogs...

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
I wont quit vaping no matter what. I save at least $300 bucks a month, I FEEL BETTER, I dont wheeze anymore and can breathe, taste, and smell again, and I dont smell like a freakin cancer stick anymore. The FDA and the government can kiss my .... There will always be a black market and I will be a big proponent if it comes to that. If they get banned you will see PV's that are made to look like nic inhalers so as not to bring attention to it. I am sick to freakin death of our nanny government mind set and all the smoke nazi's trying to tell me how to live my life. The government and FDA have failed the people they represent time and time again. What makes anybody think they are right this time. I dont care if vaping is dangerous, it is a hell of a lot safer than analogs...

Don't forget that you get some pretty cool flavors as well.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Today is my 4 month anniversary of quitting cigarettes!! YAY for me!
:D
Sharky took the words right out of my mouth about our government. I will never pay another cent for tobacco taxes. I'll go to zero nic in my e-cig if I can't get juice or if they tax it... but I won't give up the vapor!! I'll DIY with flavoring and VG and PG.

I'll have someone in China camouflage my shipment by putting atomizers up plastic Hello Kitty doll butts and shipping them to me if I have to.

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
I would rather shove them up the FDA's ... :pervy:

Just remember that the FDA is really doing it's job. I don't think we'll see the negative as much as people are making it out to be. I think we'll see them start working with manufacturers, banning imports, requiring batch testing...etc. They're just trying to keep people from dying and they take the "safest approach", which is the "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Don't you want to see the proof that these things are safe? Don't you want to know if that mesh in an atomizer does not contain lead? How would we all feel if the mesh was lead?

Think about it....we're placing water on a mesh and then directly inhaling that water into our lungs. What if it is lead?

I will continue to vape. But I will definitely be watching the safety aspect here.

Up2Eleven

Jul 8, 2009
Just remember that the FDA is really doing it's job. I don't think we'll see the negative as much as people are making it out to be. I think we'll see them start working with manufacturers, banning imports, requiring batch testing...etc. They're just trying to keep people from dying and they take the "safest approach", which is the "guilty until proven innocent" approach.

Don't you want to see the proof that these things are safe? Don't you want to know if that mesh in an atomizer does not contain lead? How would we all feel if the mesh was lead?

Think about it....we're placing water on a mesh and then directly inhaling that water into our lungs. What if it is lead?

I will continue to vape. But I will definitely be watching the safety aspect here.

For me, it's a matter of trust. When it comes to our government, I don't.

Sharky

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Disman,

I agree that there needs to be a internationally recognized and enforced set of standards on the devices, parts, and juice. Where I disagree with you is that it needs to be the FDA. The FDA has proven that they only wish to malign this product by the recent release of their report and calling the device unsafe without comparing them to the NRT's and/or Tobacco Cigarettes. This was nothing more than selective dissemination of information with the purpose of maligning our vice. Why would they do that? Who is in a position of losing billions of dollars on the tax and sales because of these devices? The US Government, The State Governments, Big Tobacco, and Big Pharma all lose, and since the FDA is an arm of the US Government there is a definite conflict of interest in this case. This is all about the all mighty dollar and a great loss in revenue there of. I sincerely hope that the government loses out on this deal and all of the smoke nazi's get one of their favorite vices taxed to oblivion and be labeled pariahs of society like we have been. That would be an ironic justice...

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008
Disman,

I agree that there needs to be a internationally recognized and enforced set of standards on the devices, parts, and juice. Where I disagree with you is that it needs to be the FDA. The FDA has proven that they only wish to malign this product by the recent release of their report and calling the device unsafe without comparing them to the NRT's and/or Tobacco Cigarettes. This was nothing more than selective dissemination of information with the purpose of maligning our vice. Why would they do that? Who is in a position of losing billions of dollars on the tax and sales because of these devices? The US Government, The State Governments, Big Tobacco, and Big Pharma all lose, and since the FDA is an arm of the US Government there is a definite conflict of interest in this case. This is all about the all mighty dollar and a great loss in revenue there of. I sincerely hope that the government loses out on this deal and all of the smoke nazi's get one of their favorite vices taxed to oblivion and be labeled pariahs of society like we have been. That would be an ironic justice...

Taxation is used to discourage certain behavior within a civilization. (Economics 101 and thousands of examples throughout our lifetime.)

Let's talk more when there is discussion on taxing e-cigs. As it stands now, they are saying there is a danger. Would you feel different if the American Cancer Society said there was a danger? How about some other non-profit organization?

Sharky

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix AZ
The American Cancer Society, The American Lung Association, etc are all viral anti smoking of any kind organizations. They are also fully behind the FDA in this instance. We have one report from the FDA and a very incomplete one at that. We have no idea what the real truth is, other than that there are other studies like the New Zealand study that says vaping is much safer than ecigs. Notice I said SAFER, not safe. My mentioning taxes had nothing to do with taxing vaping. It was to demonstrate why the FDA is in a conflict of interest in this case. But you can count on one thing. If these devices do get accepted then they will also be taxed into oblivion like tobacco cigarettes. Count on it...

We can chat more at the next meet buddy. I enjoy a good debate.

Would you feel different if the American Cancer Society said there was a danger? How about some other non-profit organization?

Actually, I don't think I'd feel differently. The main reason is that no matter how harmless e-cigs (or any other synthetic/smoking substitute) may ultimately be proven to be, it doesn't matter. That's because these groups are such zealots that it isn't about harm, it's about they don't want you smoking. Period. They are unable to be objective in their quest to rid the world of smokers.

I would support a coalition (NOT the FDA) that sets guidelines and standards for e-cigarettes.

Sharky

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Actually, I don't think I'd feel differently. The main reason is that no matter how harmless e-cigs (or any other synthetic/smoking substitute) may ultimately be proven to be, it doesn't matter. That's because these groups are such zealots that it isn't about harm, it's about they don't want you smoking. Period. They are unable to be objective in their quest to rid the world of smokers.

I would support a coalition (NOT the FDA) that sets guidelines and standards for e-cigarettes.

I like your way of thinking :D

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008

Everything is starting to boil down to "I don't like you doing that." I can't argue that. What I do like is that many non-smokers are chiming in with "I can't smell it. It doesn't bother me. So who cares?"

I've met many these days that go "Wow, you can smoke without bothering me? Have at it!"

Hopefully, that attitude will transcend the health studies. After all, caffeine and coffee are still well accepted.

desrtrat

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I would quit but...I'm not a quitter.

Having said that, for me, life is about quality, not quantity. I enjoyed smoking analogs but it was the fact that I couldn't breathe at night without wheezing that made me make a change. Not to mention the cost was getting redonkulous. The way I figure it, I could eat right, exercise, live a healthy lifestyle (and probably hate every minute of it denying myself all the things that make life fun) and either die anyway, or live to be old enough that I didn't WANT to live anymore. I mean, let's face it, is there any more fun once the adult diapers go on?? Please just shoot me when that happens....

Munson

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2009
Chandler, AZ
All the FDA news has got my blood boiling. I really can't stand it. I have been thinking over and over about what can be done to stop it. The truth is that we simply need more supporters. I have been telling everyone I know about e cigs... Many of them have converted and many of them have become "preachers for the cause" like myself. What needs to happen is THE TRUTH!

No, I don't want unnecessary chemicals in my juice. Yes, I would like to know 100% that smoking is safer than regular cigarettes (which I am POSITIVE can be proven). I would go so far as to say I am pretty certain a HEALTHY juice could be manufactured. The problem is, nobody is listening.

I think it is high time we start "taxing" ourselves to fund our own independent research. Looking at the numbers, ecigs tend to have anywhere from 100% to 500% markup. Why don't the suppliers all agree to pay X% of their sales to ecig research?

If noone else wants to, hell, I'd do it. At least it would be a step in the right direction. People are already donating to the ECA but where does the money go? I would much rather see ecig companies putting 20% into research than offering me a 20% coupon code... Especially now...

Sharky

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix AZ
Did you hear about the neat fat tax they're wanting to add to junk food?

After the fat tax, I think we'll start taxing bottled water...maybe sofa's and chairs will be after that...after all, sitting is the number reason why people get fat.

And I am going to jam that fact in every smoke nazi's ... that looks at me cross eyed while I am vaping. Look what you started ...... Now it's your turn to take in the ... and the madder they get the harder I will laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread