• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Social group "Sand Box Forum" open! Bring your shovels (Development ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
This forum is going to a place for social group owner support...

With in the next few months:

How-to stickies will be created
Tips and advice for when you first start out
Do's and Don'ts

and normal chit chat will occur in this group

any ideas on the development of this group please post here :D

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
*waves at Ducky and MaryKay*

Mine pretty much runs on itself. Lucky I guess (and great members here in Arizona). I'll hang out and see if I can offer any help.

OOPS by invite! Sorry Ducky. Guess I crashed the thread!

-----runs out of the room------

a little late :D.. but no worries.. you are always invited.. I was just a little late... and surprised that you were able to sneak in :D

:wub:

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
One feature I would like is an ability to send a notice to my members in one shot. The copy and paste and send out individually is a major PITA and takes up a lot of what little free time I have.

well as far as PMs you can send upto 5 members at a time

as far as getting it out to everyone you have a few options to choose from

1) create a thread in your Social Group forum area. to update with notices, keep in mind it will appear in "Today/New" posts for non members to view as well

or

2) Create a discussion in you discussions area and ask members to subscribe to that discussion (by clicking on "discussion Tools" on top of that discussion)
and if they choose the email notification .. when ever you want to post a notice you place it in that discussion and all subscribers will be notified at once.

Anyone can subscribe to threads.. but what sets discussions apart from forum threads.. members have to actually go to that area to see any new posts.

I can work on a pictorial of this as well.... but until then let me know if this helped solve your problem.. or if you need further explanation

trailblazer6

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Lakewood , NJ
www.bikerornot.com
Thank you lightgeoduck. Since I already try ed option 2 with a meet & greet. And if I have to guage how many actually subscribed to the thread by those in attendances it was a dismal crash and burn failure. So option 1 is looking pretty good right about now. and well frankly as long as nonmembers can't post. I don't care if they can read. As it stands right now this group looks dead anyway. Please explain. How to create a thread in your Social Group forum area. to update with notices. Thanks. Ed

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
If I understand LGD correctly, he means to start a regular thread with the title something like "Group News and Notices". You could make it sticky. Then in the first post, instruct members how to subscribe to that thread with the option "immediate notification via email". Then you could lock it, so it doesn't fill up with a bunch of jabber (people will unsubscribe in a hurry if they keep getting irrelevant emails).

When you have something you want to send everyone (or at least those who have subscribed to your thread), just unlock it, make your post, and re-lock it.

I think I'm going to do that right now.

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
If I understand LGD correctly, he means to start a regular thread with the title something like "Group News and Notices". You could make it sticky. Then in the first post, instruct members how to subscribe to that thread with the option "immediate notification via email". Then you could lock it, so it doesn't fill up with a bunch of jabber (people will unsubscribe in a hurry if they keep getting irrelevant emails).

When you have something you want to send everyone (or at least those who have subscribed to your thread), just unlock it, make your post, and re-lock it.

I think I'm going to do that right now.

actually you as the SG owner shouldn't even need to unlock it to make a post..click on where it says closed and let me know what happens for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread