Solar Juicebox Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentminja

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
So I've been trying hard to figure out how to get a solar panel to fit on the side of a custom juicebox... however I ran into problems with the charge controller linking the solar panel with the lithium ion battery (on paper). You see... without a charge controller the battery would eventually be over-charged by the solar cell and could be damaged or explode. But then it occured to me...

Why not make a standard juicebox out of this guy I found:

Amstron - SOL-10-SIL Compact Solar Charger

Then I could put a switch on the case that would toggle between battery power, or solar power depending on the time of day.

Just think... it's a sunny day outside... the light is pouring in from all directions... you're at the park or the beech and you're away from civilization. Flip the switch to switch to solar power. Then when you press the manual switch you're drawing from the solar panel and not the battery. At 5.5v and 50mA it should have the power to do so... as long as you're in direct sunlight.

I have about 10 pages of plans including the final coat of automotive paint and airbrush design already laid out.

The solar package should be here in a couple days. hopefully I'll have updates by the end of the week on my progress. Hope it all goes well.

Last edited:

DCrist721

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Yeah, it's a great idea. I almost bought a solar powered usb power pack similar to the other usb power packs that people are using with their passthroughs, but I really didn't have the money.

And it's "beach" for the place with the ocean and the sand, beech is a type of tree :p

EDIT: I just looked at the link and saw that what you were talking about was the same thing I was talking about. If you just get a usb charger and a usb passthrough then you don't have do do any sort of modificationizing 8)

Last edited:

somberbear

Mar 15, 2009
that thing has onboard battery... infact its out puts not to friggin bad i think from the random numbers i been seeing on atomizers...

Rating: 5.5V 1350mAh
• Solar Charge Time: 10-15 hours
• AC Charge Time: 5 hours
• Output Current: 1A max

did i get the numbers wrong? for whats needed for an ecig?

it would look fairly bizar i guess , but definatly isnt a bad plan...

A dynamo with battery would work better (more power) but requires more effort ;)

They are also a bit noisy because of the gears. But a better quality mechanism has greased metal cogs that run quieter.

Might not need a battery if wind it really really fast ...

The less energetic can consider a hamster-wheel hookup.

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Hehe I kinda got mine to work hooked up to a 3 watt solar panel tho it didn't smoke :(

Gonna have to put a battery in there somewhere, luckily I can get a sealed gel cell battery and charge controller cheap enough, the panel is amorphous silicon and I also have a smaller polycrystalline panel that has built in 2 x AA battery charger and allows use of said batteries in the panel! Its not the strongest panel tho, the batteries would take a very long time to charge!

Last edited:

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Someone has make 2 simple batteries to work with solar. He has cover them with photovoltaic stuff. very nice idea, I found it when I was looking for a solution like this. In a trasparency case it would work fine but the charge times are days

I saw these aswell, the whole battery had a solar cell wrapped around it, only a small part of the panel was in the sun at once!

first2di3

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Oklahoma
Yes that's right tribal, we could let the whole surface of battery to see the sun with a transparent case but again the same thing. You need 2 days for full charge

On the other hand, the device he linked in the original post shows it can be charged via USB...

I would think this device would be best used as a normal battery pack, with the added benefit of added juice when vaping outside...

Its not a bad idea at all, especially if you have the money for it...

I however and looking at $3 battery cases and $6 batteries for the cheapest (but best) mod I can come up with..

Going to spend some time tonight at Radio Shack :D

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
On the other hand, the device he linked in the original post shows it can be charged via USB...

I would think this device would be best used as a normal battery pack, with the added benefit of added juice when vaping outside...

Its not a bad idea at all, especially if you have the money for it...

I however and looking at $3 battery cases and $6 batteries for the cheapest (but best) mod I can come up with..

Going to spend some time tonight at Radio Shack :D

From the 7whr rating on it, it looks like it's about 2000mAH. At a 15 hour recharge time (good scenario) , this means it's charging at about 130mA

Not so good..

However, if you look at the 130mA as free power to supplement the battery, it's quite good.

Vapinginjapan

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Hehe I kinda got mine to work hooked up to a 3 watt solar panel tho it didn't smoke :(

Gonna have to put a battery in there somewhere, luckily I can get a sealed gel cell battery and charge controller cheap enough, the panel is amorphous silicon and I also have a smaller polycrystalline panel that has built in 2 x AA battery charger and allows use of said batteries in the panel! Its not the strongest panel tho, the batteries would take a very long time to charge!

If by gel batteries you mean lead acid gel batteries, they HATE being discharged down too far, so if you wanted long life out of your battery, you couldn't discharge it too much farther than half way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread