Solder directly to battery and pcb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Just wondering if it is safe to solder wires directly to the positive tip and pcb of a lithium ion battery. Working on a new high cap, small size mod and need to make this work. I can't seem to find a website that sells single, pre tabbed, protected batteries. Will I blow myself up attempting this? Any advice?

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
If it were me, and this is just me, somebody with more real world experience in EE, or who builds their own rc batt packs, might feel very differently, I would not want to solder direct to a batt both because I would be afraid of shortening the battery's lifespan by overheating it, and, to an only slightly lesser extent, the possibility of blowing it up.

I would think a conductive copper tape or something similar would save about the same amount of space and be both safer and make it easier to change out the batt when it dies...

Kobudo

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Evansville, IN
Having made my own RC packs in the past, I would say everything above is true.

My take on it, batteries fail, and it's not worth the effort. If space is an issue, you can make your own extra-thin connectors out of sheet aluminum from a hobby store (mine came from Hobbytown). The stuff I use is no thicker than the wall thickness of a cereal box, and is easy to cut with scissors. This will save more space than a soldered tab does.Though I do still recommend a spring on the negative end to assure a good contact.

Shad0w

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2010
Trapped by Schrödinger's cat....
Clean the battery ends real good and apply some flux. Pre-tin your tabs and use a large, hot iron (30W ain't cutting it). You want to be real quick and not take more than a few seconds.

Has always worked for me. 40 watt iron fully heated and tinned tip, flux on battery connector and apply heat to solder connection for no more than 3 seconds. Cool with compressed air.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Has always worked for me. 40 watt iron fully heated and tinned tip, flux on battery connector and apply heat to solder connection for no more than 3 seconds. Cool with compressed air.

Guess it can work.... If WillyB/Shad0w said it will work, it will work. The down side, of course: they can "go boom" if they get too hot. I agree with Kobudo; why would you want to? Li batteries have a limited life-span anyway. It's easy to use a battery contact. Then you can replace the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread