Status
Not open for further replies.

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
This solitaire mag light has been sitting on my desk for weeks, It was SuperSteph who modded this mag originally and made a pretty cool rear end switch. I couldn't figure out how to get a manual switch in such a little shell because I am not a fan of rear end switches. So using Muldrick's original idea I put a push-activated atty (push the atty with your mouth to activate) works pretty nice, has very little travel to activate( maybe 1/4"). I am using a 10440 protected cell that fits in there nicely.

Cheers

Cisco...

Bubo

ECF Veteran
Again.. Wow...
Not to mention that it's good that you are starting to put all of those protected 10440s to use! :)
I have been trying to put together Muldrick's switch in my head (yeah, I know - it'd be easier if I had the parts!), from his posts and haven't had much luck with understanding how it all works - your pictures help clear it up a bit.. Thanks again!

Cisco

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2009
NY, State of denial
www.avidvaper.com
just wondering what of the switch you had to make yourself? was any of it from the original light parts?

I used all the parts from the flashlight and nothing from the flashlight is modified other then sanding the black finish off of the inside of the head for ground contact. The atty connector is pressed into a brass ring I made that slides inside the cap. The center post and sleeve I also made but a brass nail or screw could be used in its place along with an isolating material (nylon or rubber) to slide over the center post. I used a spring from a pen, it was an over sized spring and it happened to work perfectly. The cap has a flange in it, the spring forces the brass ring up against the flange in the cap and activates only when you push down on the atomizer and springs back when you let go.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
This solitaire mag light has been sitting on my desk for weeks, It was SuperSteph who modded this mag originally and made a pretty cool rear end switch. I couldn't figure out how to get a manual switch in such a little shell because I am not a fan of rear end switches. So using Muldrick's original idea I put a push-activated atty (push the atty with your mouth to activate) works pretty nice, has very little travel to activate( maybe 1/4"). I am using a 10440 protected cell that fits in there nicely.

Cheers

Cisco...

It's almost as if you used the proper tools to mill down that brass piece...me i put a bolt and a shim and a nut on the piece, lock it in the drill press, get my trusty flat file and my mic, and start the all day process of takin off a thousandth at a time till my inside mic agrees with my measurement from my outside mic...I'd buy the proper tools...but i'm not going to, need juice money worse LOL

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
In the next few weeks I will see if I can do this mod with "off the shelf" parts. If I can, I will put up a guide, then everybody can make one...:)

Cisco...

Here is my rendition with a PVMA (RCA) connector:
I milled a nut that was 1/4" 32 thread down to the diamieter of the lense for the mini mag. And screwed it onto the RCA jack. I then soldered a 1/2" piece of .32 wire to the center leg, slipped on small piece of plastic and cleaned the anodizing off of the front of the mini mag.
Notice I did not use a spring between the mini mag body and adapter. The leg from the center adapter contacts the battery and holds the body of the adapter 1/16 of an inch away from the mini mag body and when pushed, the battery moves down with the bottom spring allowing the adapter to contact the mini mag body.
IMAGE_070.jpg

Installed:
IMAGE_071.jpg

It only requires minimum force to make it travel 1/16" to make contact and send power to the atty.
IMAGE_072.jpg

Atty connected:
IMAGE_073.jpg

Since I made it quick disconnect, I can pull the atty off and drop it in my pocket real easy with out fear of the atty inavertantly being activated.
IMAGE_074.jpg

TADA!
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Nice job Dan, now I don't have to do a guide....:D

That is how my original one worked, using the end cap spring for tension, but the protected batteries are longer (2mm+/-) and in that mini mag they completely compress the spring with 0 play left.....:(

Cisco...

Well crap... rev 2 on the way hehehehe
I am also looking for off the shelf ideas and might have a couple.
Hey now you just gave me an idea, if I drill the top hole out the size of the battery it will give me an extra 1/4 in of play, using the same concept... AHHA!

Added:
Nope the diameter is reduced to much to allow the battery from passing through with out thinning the wall to much. But by opening up the hole I can use a similar balance spring with larger diameter bushings.
Dan

Last edited:

FizzleFisch

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2009
Lake Travis - Texas
Cisco,

So I understand you were able to convince a manufacturer to accommodate your request with a "sample order" of the protected 10440 batts.

Does this mean additional batteries are available either through you or from the manufacturer?

I too would prefer to use protected units if the 10440's (10460's) were readily available at reasonable cost.

thnx,
dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread