some carto questions... baditude are you out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
:unsure:
I've been having some issues lately with my carto tanks. using smoketechs and ibtanks...
my cartos arent lasting long.

so my question is...
i use standard cartos 19mm and 22mm cartos, how many times, if any should i be able to refill these tanks on the same carto?

next question...
how long can juice sit in a tank before its not good...

my thinking is that maybe i have too many tanks in rotation, so the juice is sitting the carto too long..
like... maybe its getting gunked up, thick or something..

any thoughts for me?

I'm not all knowing about all the different tanks and cartomizers out there. But I use a Nautilus Aspire tank and Aspire cartomizers on my Provari. I get long usage out of the cartomizer before having to change it out, usually a month. Its a high quality tank and has never leaked nor have I got juice coming out of the mouthpiece. Easy to assemble. Easy to clean. I've changed flavors without having to do nothing more than clean it. I really can't say about the length of time for juice in the tank. But with the Nautilus I've never noticed any flavor changes. I would say to keep it out of places such as a car in the heat. The high heat will change the flavor no matter who makes it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Pappy, sorry but I have to correct you. The Aspire Nautilus is not a cartotank, and doesn't use cartomizers. It is a clearomizer tank which uses a replaceable coil head/wick.

Ladiekali, to answer your questions:

1. The length of time that a carto may last varies. I have had some that only last a couple of days, and I've had some that last a month. Variables include the viscosity (thickness) of the e-liquid; high Vg or 100% Vg will clog the polyfill quicker than a thinner liquid (higher Pg). Darker flavors are harder on cartos, as are the sweeter flavors.

I seem to get longer use with Ikenvape cartos. I will use Smoktech if I don't have IKV's. I've not had much luck with Boge. The polyfill in Boges is more tightly wound which makes filling more difficult for the method that I use, and in my experience they don't last long. YMMV.

2. How long can juice sit in a tank? I don't know the answer to that. How long can juice last in an enclosed bottle? One year? A cartotank is an enclosed container just like a bottle.

3. I typically can refill a cartotank several times before needing to exchange the carto. If the draw becomes tight, the flavor becomes muted, or the vapor drops off, I change to a new carto.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
:unsure:
I've been having some issues lately with my carto tanks. using smoketechs and ibtanks...
my cartos arent lasting long.

so my question is...
i use standard cartos 19mm and 22mm cartos, how many times, if any should i be able to refill these tanks on the same carto?

next question...
how long can juice sit in a tank before its not good...

my thinking is that maybe i have too many tanks in rotation, so the juice is sitting the carto too long..
like... maybe its getting gunked up, thick or something..

any thoughts for me?

I got about a week out of a carto. But darker and thicker juice will need more frequent changes. I have let juice sit for months in a tank and it was fine.

However, recently, I threw out all the cartos and juice that had been sitting in tanks. And soaked all the tanks in alcohol. Now I am just filling what is in use. No real reason except that it is a bit easier to keep track of.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
Maybe i got a bad batch of cartos then.

i vape sweet juices 70pg
i was rotating 4 cartotanks thru out the week, but if i went a day or two with out vaping out of one I'd have to replace the carto.
I would get zero flavor, tight if any draw and they would stop wicking....

i was also using the 3 ohm cartos, usually i use the 2ohm. not sure if that had anything to do with the flavor loss.
I gave up for a week but am at it again.
right now i got a 2 ohm smokteck carto in a ibtank.
so far all is good.

thought maybe i had too many in rotation.

i think its time to try ikenvapes.
is one better than the other? i know they have the fusion, not sure the differences.

thanks for the feedback yall

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Maybe i got a bad batch of cartos then.

i vape sweet juices 70pg
i was rotating 4 cartotanks thru out the week, but if i went a day or two with out vaping out of one I'd have to replace the carto.
I would get zero flavor, tight if any draw and they would stop wicking....

i was also using the 3 ohm cartos, usually i use the 2ohm. not sure if that had anything to do with the flavor loss.
I gave up for a week but am at it again.
right now i got a 2 ohm smokteck carto in a ibtank.
so far all is good.

thought maybe i had too many in rotation.

i think its time to try ikenvapes.
is one better than the other? i know they have the fusion, not sure the differences.

thanks for the feedback yall

Nitro is Ikenvapes's newest offering. I don't actually know much about it. I really cannot make a recommendation as I no loner use cartos for many of the reasons you stated in your OP.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
slotted platinums are out of stock. honestly, i think maybe all platinums may be. i believe platinums are being phased out for nitros. platinums were manufactured by boge who screwed Isaac one too many times. nitros are being manufactured elsewhere from my understanding.

also, nitros are more than just one line. there's the DCT line with no filler (currently only in xl length), the single coil line in various lengths and the dual coil line currently only in regular and xl lengths. all lines have an option for low resistance or normal resistance. low res varies between 1.7 and 2.0 Ω and normal res sits @ 2.4 & 2.5 Ω.

i got 50 of the last shipments of platinums and all were bad. i have 15 of the nitros coming, low and reg res xl single coil and low res DCT IIRC. i'll be happy to report on performance if you're interested.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
What, Bad is the only person around here using cartos??? Ah, who am I kidding. I would have asked for him too. lol ;)

3 batches of bad IKV and some bad Smoketechs were enough to get me to switch to the Sophia. At some point, however, I probably will check out the Nitros.

Pocha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't seem to get as much life out of cartos as a lot of folks. I regularly hear of people getting 30mls of juice thru a carto. With me it seems like 15-20. I use mostly 50/50 juices. It doesn't bother me though...I can hot swap and prime a carto in a few minutes time. Still way less time consuming and fiddly than clearos.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
slotted platinums are out of stock. honestly, i think maybe all platinums may be. i believe platinums are being phased out for nitros. platinums were manufactured by boge who screwed Isaac one too many times. nitros are being manufactured elsewhere from my understanding.

also, nitros are more than just one line. there's the DCT line with no filler (currently only in xl length), the single coil line in various lengths and the dual coil line currently only in regular and xl lengths. all lines have an option for low resistance or normal resistance. low res varies between 1.7 and 2.0 Ω and normal res sits @ 2.4 & 2.5 Ω.

i got 50 of the last shipments of platinums and all were bad. i have 15 of the nitros coming, low and reg res xl single coil and low res DCT IIRC. i'll be happy to report on performance if you're interested.

indeed I will be interested to know how they do and the differences!

What, Bad is the only person around here using cartos??? Ah, who am I kidding. I would have asked for him too. lol ;)
I tried to pm bad, but his mailbox was full.
i know he's good for no bs advice.
not to mention he's the reason i have the set up that i do have and am a pretty happy vaper :)

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
You should pretty much accept the fact that Bad is THE go-to carto guru here on ECF. But no, he's not the only one who uses cartos. When it comes to cartos you have pretty much three options: Boge, Smoktech, and Ikenvape. As Bad has mentioned before, Ikenvapes are hard to get and expensive when you can. I've never used Ikenvapes so I cannot speak for the quality; however. I trust Bad to the Nth degree and if he says they're good, take that as gospel. (If there are other brands of cartos, let me know, I consume info and love to be corrected). I have used Boges. From my experience, the synthetic polyfill wrap in a Boge is wrapped waaaay tighter than a Smoktech carto. I think that's why I have such good success with Boba's Bounty in a carto tank.

I've seen a few vapers' progressions go like this: clearo>carto tank>rda/rba. There are plus and minuses to each level, but the most consistent and hassle free I've found are carto tanks. Us e-stoo-peed A-mur-ee-cans are too lazy to sit there and drip drops into a 1.2" metal tube. Take them or leave them, do what thou wilt. But priming a carto is no where NEAR as difficult as learning rebuildables.

Last edited:

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
I love the Sophia. I'm using them almost exclusively now except on my eGos. I tried using one on my eGo but I had a really bad tank that didn't hold a vacuum very well. The Sophia works awesome with an IBTanked tank. The flavor is better than a carto, IMO.

i keep eyeing that sophia... is it working for ya?

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
well crud, i guess it's time for the sophia.

i've been trying to rebuild protank coils, some are awesome some just pop like crazy.

I have a couple rda's. i have the igo-L with a pretty good build on it, and igo3 which is way too airy for my liking.
but unfortunately, i don't have any ejuice below 12mg... i don't reccomend dripping 12mg lol. seriously.

i'm also looking into the kayfun lite clone.

it's payday so i'm trying to figure out what to buy.
I love my cartotanks. and I enjoy the rda's.
so it looks like i'm ready to advance.
and stock up on some 6mg juice lol.

susan i love your banner!!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I got a large shipment of Ikenvape cartos some months back, and was gifted another large batch around Christmas, so I'm well-stocked with Ikenvapes for some time to come. Having said that, I understand the frustration of seeing Ikenvapes being out-of-stock more often than not.

Isaac has had more than his share of bad luck. He's a small business which had innovation ideas with his own line of cartomizers. He knows how to design a superior cartomizer, he's just had bad luck with the Chinese manufacturers because of their inconsistant quality control and limiting his supply. I haven't been privy to the behind the scenes stuff, but I know he is frustrated just like some of his customers. He is taking steps to improve the quality, consistancy, and availability of his line of cartomizers.

I suggested possibly into looking to Mexico to manufacture his cartomizers. He responded that he was "looking closer to home." Maybe I'm reading more into this than I should, but that sounded to me like he is going to have his cartos made in the USA. How about that idea?

If this is true, and if it turns out that these are superior quality cartos, but likely at a premium price due to being built in the US, I would hope that customers choose to support him. Would you be willing to pay more for a more consistant, dependable, quality cartomizer? How much more?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread