Some dna/lost vape questions/feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adoptedtexan

May 18, 2022
Hey everyone,
I’m new(ish) to vaping, mostly been using prebuilt coils in MTL tanks with integrated battery mods. I’m trying to get a little more advanced setup to gather more control over flavor, etc. so this weekend I may have gone over the top and bought a crap ton of RTAs and RDAs and some building supplies, which made me realizing I should probably get a new mod (not that I NEED it but I want it :)).

so my current thought is Either a Lost Vape Thelema or Centaurus. I’m looking at these as they are DNA250c mods, so AFAIK I can run 18650 LIFEPO4s natively (with a change in escribe). For batteries I’m looking at A123 18650 cells from battery source (they are reputable from what I read)

this will be for MTL with 0.8-1.2 coils under 20w.

Might seem like overkill but I have an “irrational” fear of lipos and as an engineer at least an additional safety redundancy at an acceptable trade off is never a bad thing :)

Also my current rebuildable tanks seem to have a weird behavior compared to my prebuilt ones where the first hit or two are pretty dull, but that is likely user error as I’m still trying to dial them in, and this is the first time putting together/wicking a rebuildable.

so my question is, is this setup doable, and any suggestions on changes? Other mods that support lifepo? Or at least controlled 18650s?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Greeting Adoptedtexan! External LiFePo4 battery chargers are rare, got one in mind? Although a DNA250C can charge them too, if setup for them. And no, I can't think of any other mods that can use LiFePo4 cells. Except the DNA200 and DNA250.

One thing beginners forget when rebuilding attys is to wash your hands first. I have no idea if you are doing that, but oil from your hands vapes pretty bad. Sure it fades in time, but still.

Spaced coils has no hotspots. So no worries there. Contact coils (wraps are touching each other) can and often do have hotspots. Lots of videos out there in how to get rid of them.

Wicking... plenty of videos there too. Cotton is the most popular. And rules are a bit different if you're using say Rayon instead.

EDIT: Oh yes, you'll find a few of us engineers here too.

• Winner
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Hey everyone,
I’m new(ish) to vaping, mostly been using prebuilt coils in MTL tanks with integrated battery mods. I’m trying to get a little more advanced setup to gather more control over flavor, etc. so this weekend I may have gone over the top and bought a crap ton of RTAs and RDAs and some building supplies, which made me realizing I should probably get a new mod (not that I NEED it but I want it :)).

so my current thought is Either a Lost Vape Thelema or Centaurus. I’m looking at these as they are DNA250c mods, so AFAIK I can run 18650 LIFEPO4s natively (with a change in escribe). For batteries I’m looking at A123 18650 cells from battery source (they are reputable from what I read)

this will be for MTL with 0.8-1.2 coils under 20w.

Might seem like overkill but I have an “irrational” fear of lipos and as an engineer at least an additional safety redundancy at an acceptable trade off is never a bad thing :)

Also my current rebuildable tanks seem to have a weird behavior compared to my prebuilt ones where the first hit or two are pretty dull, but that is likely user error as I’m still trying to dial them in, and this is the first time putting together/wicking a rebuildable.

so my question is, is this setup doable, and any suggestions on changes? Other mods that support lifepo? Or at least controlled 18650s?
Hello and welcome to ECF. :)

As far as RBA's go you will find good tutorials on YouTube for just about every RTA and RDA out there. They all cover coiling setups and wicking.

I switch off between using cotton and rayon in my RDA's and RTA's. If you are using rayon it requires about 1/3 more in a coil versus cotton. Rayon contracts while cotton expands.

If you are interested in using rayon we have an excellent thread that goes over everything you need to know. Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

There is also a Part 1 linked in the first post of the Part 2 thread.

So... How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb? :D

A1: None. They are all too busy trying to design the perfect light bulb.

A2: Only the one with the instruction manual.

A3: One. But she would insist that the way she did it was distinctive.

A4: Three. One to hold the ladder, one to hold the light bulb, and the third to interpret the Japanese text.

A5: Five. One to design a nuclear-powered light bulb that never needs changing, one to figure out how to power the rest of the USA using that nuked light bulb, two to install it, and one to write the computer program that controls the wall switch.

A6: None. "According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."

A7: Fill in the blank. ___________________________________

:lol: :lol:

• Winner
Reactions: BillW50

Adoptedtexan

May 18, 2022
Thanks for the welcome and advice :)

Hmmm it’s definitely a toss up between A1 and A5 for me at least lol I definitely over engineer stuff wayyyy too much, tbf the over engineering generally saves our a** about a year down the line

ye I followed the tutorial and for the most part got it on 3/4, I think to learn wicking a bit more from theory perspective like what to do with high vg juic, deep reservoir vs whatever else, but for most part I’m looking at it as a journey, got a few hundred coils, 5 spools of wire and 5 bags of cotton to guide me through it :D I’m gonna try to find some rayon tho

Hello and welcome to ECF. :)

As far as RBA's go you will find good tutorials on YouTube for just about every RTA and RDA out there. They all cover coiling setups and wicking.

I switch off between using cotton and rayon in my RDA's and RTA's. If you are using rayon it requires about 1/3 more in a coil versus cotton. Rayon contracts while cotton expands.

If you are interested in using rayon we have an excellent thread that goes over everything you need to know. Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2

There is also a Part 1 linked in the first post of the Part 2 thread.

So... How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb? :D

A1: None. They are all too busy trying to design the perfect light bulb.

A2: Only the one with the instruction manual.

A3: One. But she would insist that the way she did it was distinctive.

A4: Three. One to hold the ladder, one to hold the light bulb, and the third to interpret the Japanese text.

A5: Five. One to design a nuclear-powered light bulb that never needs changing, one to figure out how to power the rest of the USA using that nuked light bulb, two to install it, and one to write the computer program that controls the wall switch.

A6: None. "According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."

A7: Fill in the blank. ___________________________________

:lol: :lol:

Adoptedtexan

May 18, 2022
Thanks for the answer. I have the nitecore d2 which according to their specs should charge lifepo.

good point about hands, I generally wash my hands pretty often, but will add that to build routine, which is currently disassemble, install coil, dry fire a cold times, add cotton, prime, test fire, reassemble test fire again, add to mod, fill

Greeting Adoptedtexan! External LiFePo4 battery chargers are rare, got one in mind? Although a DNA250C can charge them too, if setup for them. And no, I can't think of any other mods that can use LiFePo4 cells. Except the DNA200 and DNA250.

One thing beginners forget when rebuilding attys is to wash your hands first. I have no idea if you are doing that, but oil from your hands vapes pretty bad. Sure it fades in time, but still.

Spaced coils has no hotspots. So no worries there. Contact coils (wraps are touching each other) can and often do have hotspots. Lots of videos out there in how to get rid of them.

Wicking... plenty of videos there too. Cotton is the most popular. And rules are a bit different if you're using say Rayon instead.

EDIT: Oh yes, you'll find a few of us engineers here too.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread