Some Good News Finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
Recently Passed (Due to Legislative Override of Veto) and signed into law in Missouri:

SENATE BILL NO. 841

It establishes, in the definition section that electronic cigarettes are not to be classified as tobacco products. This saves them from taxes that are levied on tobacco products! The relevant sections:

"tobacco products", any substance containing tobacco leaf, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, or dipping tobacco but does not include alternative nicotine products, or vapor products;"Vapor product", any non-combustible product containing nicotine that employs a heating element, power source,electronic circuit, or other electronic, chemical or mechanical means, regardless of shape or size, that can be used to produce vapor from nicotine in a solution or other form. Vapor product includes any electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device and any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a solution or other form that is intended to be used with or in an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device. Vapor product does not include any alternative nicotine product or tobacco product;

I've never been a big fan of the Missouri Legislature, but you know what they say about giving a monkey a typewriter. On a long enough timeline he'll type the Declaration of Independence. They apparently did the legislative equivalent here. Now they can get back to passing meaningless right wing laws that are overturned by the US Supreme Court..:D.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
molimeligh wrote...
I've never been a big fan of the Missouri Legislature, but you know what they say about giving a monkey a typewriter. On a long enough timeline he'll type the Declaration of Independence. They apparently did the legislative equivalent here. Now they can get back to passing meaningless right wing laws that are overturned by the US Supreme Court

:facepalm:

So Moe...you're saying this bill, introduced by Republican Missouri Senator Jay Wasson, and passed by the Republican state senate majority, is a meaningless right wing law ?

The official party of the ANTZ, the nanny types, the "We know better than you whats best for you" and "we will tax you and regulate you and tell you how to raise your children, for your own good" party...otherwise known as the tax and spend DEMOCRATS...must be outraged at those irresponsible right wingers haaaaaaa

No doubt the D...ANTZ are probably circling the wagons and considering taking this to the courts asap...
Nixon circling wagons on e-cig veto, many support override - The Missouri Times

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon (DEMOCRAT) said this about this "right wing bill"...
“With the restriction for minors already on its way from the FDA, the real impact of Senate Bill 841 is that it would exempt e-cigarettes from Missouri’s tobacco laws,” Gov. Nixon said. “Until we know more about the long-term health effects of e-cigarettes, creating new loopholes for these products would put public health at risk.”

In response Rep. Caleb Rowden (R) said....
“It is unfortunate that the Governor’s staff hasn’t bothered to research what actually makes up e-cigarettes and that, in fact, they contain no tobacco,” Rowden said. “So, the idea of taxing them as a tobacco product is fatally and factually flawed. It is also unfortunate for our state and our most vulnerable minors who this bill would protect that the Governor has bought into a far-left, extreme, rhetorical set of talking points instead of standing with the strong bipartisan majority in both the House and Senate that voted in favor of this bill in regular session.

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
:facepalm:

So Moe...you're saying this bill, introduced by Republican Missouri Senator Jay Wasson, and passed by the Republican state senate majority, is a meaningless right wing law ?

I was speaking of other Right Wing laws, those concerned with women's wombs and everyone's sexual orientation. and stifling medical research by limiting the use of stem cells. But hey, if that's what your REPUBLICAN non-nanny party is all about, rave on. Concerning the authorship of this bill, I still think my monkey with a typewriter analogy holds, but maybe that went over your head, sorta like the fact that I never stated I was a fan of Democrats or that I was a Democrat or that it's "mo" as in "more," not Moe.

But, feel free, as Buddy Holly would say, "Rave on." :facepalm:

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
... it's "mo" as in "more," not Moe...

heh heh sorry I thought it was mo as in missouri.

Anyway molimelight, sorry you took my comments personally. My reply was meant to highlight the fact that most often it is the right wing that is in defense of e-cigs and the peoples right to freedom, whereas it is mostly the left that can be counted on to find ways to regulate and tax or outright ban e-cigs. The motivation for my bothering to reply in the first place was the glarring irony you pointed out, which is how the left can really never accept a loss in their votes without going off crying to the courts for a reversal.

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
I was speaking of other Right Wing laws, those concerned with women's wombs and everyone's sexual orientation. and stifling medical research by limiting the use of stem cells. But hey, if that's what your REPUBLICAN non-nanny party is all about, rave on. Concerning the authorship of this bill, I still think my monkey with a typewriter analogy holds, but maybe that went over your head, sorta like the fact that I never stated I was a fan of Democrats or that I was a Democrat or that it's "mo" as in "more," not Moe.

But, feel free, as Buddy Holly would say, "Rave on." :facepalm:

First, I would describe myself as independent, I have strong views aligning with all political parties, and have major disagreements with all political parties.

Right-wingers tend to be about holding tradition and anti-government intervention. This policy screams classic conservative republican. Not a monkey on a typewriter. I guess my point is if someone is going to bash a political party they should know what the party stands for or they will come off sounding uneducated and uninformed. There is worth in both parties and there is stupidity in both parties. On vaping you appear to have a republican stance. OMG

molimelight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2013
Columbia, MO
Right-wingers tend to be about...anti-government intervention.

Unless, of course you take into account the Missouri constitutional amendment against gay marriage, or the new 72 hour wait on abortions that the right wing advanced, or the anti-union laws that they keep trying to pass, or the "Freedom to Farm" amendment that takes away the right of local citizens to determine whether or not they want corporate farms to pollute their counties and towns.

I guess my point is if someone is going to bash a political party they should know what the party stands for or they will come off sounding uneducated and uninformed.

I believe I understand what the Republican party stands for today, in my state. Thus my bashing. My experience with the Republican Party in Missouri (the Right Wing) is that they are against government intervention unless they can use it to further their social or business agenda, and or line their pockets. At least the Democrats acknowledge that they feel that the purpose of the government is to promote opportunity, equality, and social justice. The monkey on a typewriter analogy was only to point out that, while their motives might have been "anti government intervention," the Republicans finally passed something that was not narrow minded or socially conservative, and is not likely to be overturned by the courts because of that pesky thing called the United States Constitution. Also, I am old enough to know that the Republican Party of today is nothing at all like the Republican Party of yesterday, not to mention it is certainly nothing like the Republican Party of Teddy Roosevelt when he proposed progressive taxation. So I guess my point is that anyone who claims to know definitively "what a party stands for" comes off sounding uneducated and uninformed.

On vaping you appear to have a republican stance. OMG

I have a stance that wants everyone possible to be able, financially and otherwise, to use this to get off the cigarettes like I did. I don't think that's Republican or Democrat, although either side is welcome to claim it. So, I'm done here.

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
My original post read.

Right-wingers tend to be about holding tradition and anti-government intervention.

Not what you altered into your own words, for your own self-interest. Which you then proceeded to post it as if I had said it, and engaged in a personal political diatribe.

Right-wingers tend to be about ... anti-government intervention.

Unless, of course you take into account the Missouri constitutional amendment against gay marriage, or the new 72 hour wait on abortions that the right wing advanced, or the anti-union laws that they keep trying to pass, or the "Freedom to Farm" amendment that takes away the right of local citizens to determine whether or not they want corporate farms to pollute their counties and towns.

You cannot delete words mid-sentence and replace them with ... then utilize it as a quote, and commence in an intellectual debate about something taken out of context. That is disingenuous and manipulative and completely violates any honest civil discourse. I did not read the rest of your post as that is straight up unethical, and shows a lack of intellectual integrity on your part.

Edited:
I took the time to read the rest of your post. In your state the Republicans did take the stance of protecting e-cigs and your bias is so pervasive you could not admit it. Wow!?!

Your OP.

I've never been a big fan of the Missouri Legislature, but you know what they say about giving a monkey a typewriter. On a long enough timeline he'll type the Declaration of Independence. They apparently did the legislative equivalent here. Now they can get back to passing meaningless right wing laws that are overturned by the US Supreme Court..:D.

Then this?

I have a stance that wants everyone possible to be able, financially and otherwise, to use this to get off the cigarettes like I did. I don't think that's Republican or Democrat, although either side is welcome to claim it. So, I'm done here.

WOW!?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread