Some Newbie Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporGourmet

May 30, 2015
So I'm new to this whole thing, and just wanted to ask a few questions from people actually familiar with vaping, since google searches for my questions all lead to the usual slew of scare sites I'd expect to find.

I've never smoked, and have no plans to start. What I'm interested in vaping for is a way to cut down on my snacking habit. I tend to snack a lot, not from hunger, but just from boredom. There's some junk food in the cupboard, let's go grab some, etc. A few friends pointed out to me that there are tons of no-nicotine options for vaping, so I decided to go ahead and take a closer look. Here's what I'm trying to figure out?

Do non-nicotine liquids have any kinds of carcinogens?

Scare articles that popped up when I searched for terms like 'is vaping safe' warned me that e-cigs have "up to 10 times the carcinogen levels as smoking", and a bunch of other stuff, but I couldn't find any articles that compared what I was looking for, most dealt in worst case scenarios, heavy voltage devices and maximum nicotine liquids. What I'm trying to findout is whether the 0mg liquids I intend to use pose any real threat to my health.

Is vaping addictive?

I'm not talking about whether or not I'll enjoy it and want to continue vaping, but whether there's something truly addictive about vaping even non-nicotine liquids that I should be aware of.

Is it unwise for a non-smoker to start vaping?

I've seen plenty of arguments on it, but once again, a lot of it reeks of clickbait articles. Once again, I'm looking for an honest opinion from a real person.

If anyone could help me clear up these issues, I'd be really grateful.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
So I'm new to this whole thing, and just wanted to ask a few questions from people actually familiar with vaping, since google searches for my questions all lead to the usual slew of scare sites I'd expect to find.

I've never smoked, and have no plans to start. What I'm interested in vaping for is a way to cut down on my snacking habit. I tend to snack a lot, not from hunger, but just from boredom. There's some junk food in the cupboard, let's go grab some, etc. A few friends pointed out to me that there are tons of no-nicotine options for vaping, so I decided to go ahead and take a closer look. Here's what I'm trying to figure out?

Do non-nicotine liquids have any kinds of carcinogens? I don't know if they have "any", like as in trace amounts like everything has that aren't enough to cause harm. As far as I can tell the negative studies that make the news are usually testing ecigs in a way that they wouldn't be normally used. It makes for great scaremongering.

Scare articles that popped up when I searched for terms like 'is vaping safe' warned me that e-cigs have "up to 10 times the carcinogen levels as smoking", and a bunch of other stuff, but I couldn't find any articles that compared what I was looking for, most dealt in worst case scenarios, heavy voltage devices and maximum nicotine liquids. What I'm trying to findout is whether the 0mg liquids I intend to use pose any real threat to my health.

Is vaping addictive? Not as far as I know, the reality is that nicotine was never really proven , by itself, to be all that addictive. The only studies that could have proven that actually indicated the opposite. I smoked for thirty years and I can honestly say my want for a cig was much greater than my want for a vape. Probably due to all the other things put into tobacco. I can't imagine vaping 0 nic liquids having any addictive effect, other than doing it just because you like to.

I'm not talking about whether or not I'll enjoy it and want to continue vaping, but whether there's something truly addictive about vaping even non-nicotine liquids that I should be aware of.

Is it unwise for a non-smoker to start vaping? You'll get different opinions on this. I personally think it's your choice to make. The reality is that there haven't been long term studies, so we all take a risk in that regard. There have been a bunch of studies indicating that vaping is magnitudes safer than cigs, though you won't hear that from the FDA, they're protecting the pockets of themselves(government), tobacco, and pharmaceutical companies.

I've seen plenty of arguments on it, but once again, a lot of it reeks of clickbait articles. Once again, I'm looking for an honest opinion from a real person.

If anyone could help me clear up these issues, I'd be really grateful.

Of course, these are just my opinions. ECF is a great resource for getting this type of info. You might want to check out some of the threads here-> ECF Vaping Info | E-Cigarette Forum and here-> Health and Medical | E-Cigarette Forum

EDIT: Click on "Click to Expand to see my answers"

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Overeating may kill you quicker than vaping.
Too early to tell. note: Heart failure (#1 cause of early death last I read.)
Is vaping addictive?
The pure joy is additive even without Nicotine.
No, if you die first from heart failure.
Everyone is different. You have to make up your mind. Best advice I can give, is find someone who knows what their doing (knows delivery systems and flavors and how to apply them) to guide you where you live. Willing to spend a little time to instruct you. If done right, vaping can save your life.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
There are some things we're still learning about vaping and long term effects however, there is no salt (no concern of high blood pressure) no sugar (good for diabetes) no fats, no carcinogens that I've read anywhere, and if you're not using nicotine you're not thinning your blood. My doctor is fully aware that I vape and condones it. She actually asks if I'm still vaping to which I'm proud to say yes. If you have ever been near a fog machine in a club or haunted house, that's vegetable glycerin without flavoring. There was an article somewhere online about weight loss and vaping but I couldn't find it again. I have lost 15 pounds since I started vaping and I believe it's due to my lungs are working again and I have extra energy. It may give you something to occupy yourself with instead of reaching for something worse. Good luck.

VaporGourmet

May 30, 2015
I took the plunge after reading all this, and I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I've had a lot of fun playing with and mixing flavors or juices I've gotten, and already I'm getting to the point where I reach for my vapor over a bag of chips or candy, and that's not even counting all the extra water I'm drinking over my other vices.

RooRooBears

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
California

USA-based eLiquids have 4 main ingredients - PG, VG, nicotine, artificial flavoring. None of these ingredients are carcinogenic. I mention USA-based because if you buy foreign eLiquid product lines (mainly from China), they add extra chemicals that may be hazardous to your health.

Is vaping addictive?

Nicotine is addictive. Vaping is not. If you vape without nicotine, it's basically behavioral, not chemical-based addiction.

Yes, it is unwise to start vaping if you're not a smoker. Don't start vaping just because "everyone is doing it" or because "it looks cool." Ex-smokers, such as myself, rely on vaping to kick the smoking habit that was bound to kill us some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread