Some of us have to reach a bottom in order to get to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

angstless

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
Detroit
My "success" story

I lived in la la land for many years...thought I was so clever.

Started smoking in Jr High.

Last couple of years I thought "ya know I've been smoking all these years and I have no side effects"

Never mind I would wake up after a few hours of sleep to cough for about 1/2 hour..that was 'post nasal drip'.

Then I caught a bout of (undiagnosed) bronchitis about 6 months ago..and thought I was going to die.

I do not have hospitalization so I resisted every plea to go to the hospital...luckily for me (though not for my friend) she was on oxygen and had tanks of oxygen I could use to breath..otherwise I would be either dead or beholding to the hospital.

I walked from the bedroom to the bathroom about 15 feet and felt like my lungs were about the size of a dime and could not catch my breath, so I ran (well shuffled as fast as I could) to the oxygen tank and sat for about 15 minutes just to catch my breath back.

I quit smoking (surprise) for a month. Since my friend has oxygen in her room, (she still smokes) her cigarettes were in the bathroom and I succumbed after a month of not smoking.

At first I just stole her cigs and hid smoking, but eventually I became a full fledged smoker...maybe more than before, cause seems every time I try to quit I get revenge by smoking more than before.

Fast forward to this bout of bronchitis. My friends oxygen saved me yet again. Only once did I feel my lungs the size of a dime when going to the bathroom. Better than last time. Maybe because I stopped smoking earlier than the last time, at the first sign of shortness of breath.

In some forum not related to ecigs someone guided me to the altsmoke.com site. I purchased their (easy) starter kit and here I am.

On a side note...a bizarre maybe outcome of stopping smoking???? My fingers on my left hand would cramp up so badly I would have to un cramp them....they seem alright now??? Anyone else have that effect?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Good for you on quitting smoking angstless! Yes, sometimes it's really amazing how much we have to punish ourselves before we change our lives.

On the cramps, I have not experienced this but I did find it mentioned in this post on ECF here. An excerpt from that post:

"7. Muscle Cramps and Aches
Some people report increased muscle pains. One theory is that the PG in eliquid breaks down into lactic acid, which needs to be eliminated from the body.

Increasing water intake usually addresses this problem, whatever its cause. Not reported as much when using VG (vegetable glycerin) mixtures, but this is more than likely due to statistical probability since VG users are only a tiny number of total ecigarette users.

Admin note
The possibility of exacerbation due to ecig use is not proven. The problem with attributing muscle pains to lactic acid build-up caused in some way by ecigs is that all normal muscular lactic acid accumulation is topical, that is, if you work a muscle hard then that muscle alone accumulates lactic acid. Muscles are flushed out by natural processes and all lactic acid leaves via flushing, it is not possible for it to be introduced into a muscle even if that muscle is surrounded by others containing lactic acid. This is likely to be a tobacco withdrawal symptom."

The bold is mine.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Godspeed on getting better! Happy you are vaping and not smoking. There is an end-game to smoking and it's not pretty. My Mother and sister both went through it, and it was tragic. Do whatever you need to do to get on the other side of this thing. Joint pain is a common malady and there are numerous natural remedies and a number of allopathic remedies. The natural ones often have no side effects, so I would start my research there. Some herbs and spices do wonders on joint pains. The important thing is that you are addressing it now. Good luck to you and welcome to the Forum!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf. Glad you found your way here. I have heard lots of stories similar to yours, so don't feel alone. I truly feel that ecigs also saved my life as I was a heavy smoker for many years. Since ecigs I have had only one cold and it was short lived. Our bodies are amazing machines, but like anything else, they too tend to wear out. Once you start to taste again, breathe better and have more energy, you will realize just what a miracle these ecigs are.
Good luck to you and happy vaping. If you have questions, feel free to ask. There is no dumb question.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread