Status
Not open for further replies.

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
1-Are their any other organic compunds that make mists and vapour as a smoke like VG and PG or they are the only two used to make that?

Ethylene glycol, but you don't want to be smoking that...

I wonder also if solid carbon dioxide (dry ice) could be used?

I remember at a party where there was a smoke machine there was an asthmatic girl complaining that the smoke was bad for her so we shut it off. but whether that used DI or PG I'm not sure. She may have been acting on a doctor's advice.

nqhqhz

Verified Member
Jan 1, 2009
Ireland
www3 DOT interscience.wiley.com/journal/110453202/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

"Effects of theatrical smokes and fogs on respiratory health in the entertainment industry"

If anyone is in a college that can access the full article, good for you, otherwise, here is the abstract

Background
Theatrical fogs (glycol or mineral oil aerosols) are widely used in the entertainment industry to create special effects and make lighting visible.

Methods
We studied 101 employees at 19 sites using fogs and measured personal fog exposures, across work shift lung function, and acute and chronic symptoms. Results were also compared to an external control population, studied previously.

Results
Chronic work-related wheezing and chest tightness were significantly associated with increased cumulative exposure to fogs (mineral oil and glycols) over the previous 2 years. Acute cough and dry throat were associated with acute exposure to glycol-based fogs; increased acute upper airway symptoms were associated with increased fog aerosol overall. Lung function was significantly lower among those working closest to the fog source.

Conclusions
Mineral oil- and glycol-based fogs are associated with acute and chronic adverse effects on respiratory health among employees. Reducing exposure, through controls, substitution, and elimination where possible, is likely to reduce these effects. Am. J. Ind. Med. 47:411-418, 2005. © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

I'm not entirly sure that the information about the fog machines is intirly correct...:cry:

Infact before i started Esmoking begining of december i went to my doc and had a nice long chat and showed him all the information and ingrediants (well the ones we know of) that are in the Ejuice, the reason for this is Ive been smoking cigs bout pack to 2 packs a (depending on day) for 10 years now and whats worse is i should proly be dead by now or at least i used to look that way. I was borne with bad lungs other complications along the road made them worse. by the time i was 13yo i was using a nebulizer 4 times a day and carying around 2 inhailers and on oral steroids as a regular daily regimen. well then it got worse when i turned 15 i started smoking cigs, yes while doing all the asthma crap and fealing like crap on and being diagnosed with chronic bronchitus along with the SEVEAR asthma, now i'm sure most would stop smoking right here but nope, i kept up, actuly smoking helped my lungs, (yeah i know) in some ways in others it was bad, but for me fealing a lil better even tho i was on the asthma machine almost 10X times more a day didnt matter i didnt feal like i was drowning all the time.. see smoking cigs paralises the plegnum in the lungs wich stops them from filling with fluid, at this point in my life i'm 26, they found out i did not have chronic bronchitus, my immune system is back up, and my lungs are now doing best they have in years.. (still smoking tho) wich was what was slowing me down, i couldent run work out. ect id feal like i was gona die walking to the mail box and back (wich is about 200 ft) so.. i tryed the other quit smoking methods but they didnt really work to well for me. for me the habbit is increased more by my fealing better after a smoke tho by the end of the day i fealt like **** when i was smoking.. the doc just about pee'd him self i think when i brought all this up, he didnt think the PG would be all that bad as it helps kinda dry you out as long as i wasent alergic, he was a little conserned if my lungs would be happy with it or not tho.. almost everything effects an asthmatic diffrently cold, heat, and smells, ect.. and we both were hoping this would be somthing that i would not have issues with using as i needed the ash and tar out of my lungs to start getting back in shape wich i have been doing PT for aprox 2 years now to help rebuild the lungs and cardio system. You can only imagion how happy I was when it came and I could use it with no issues. infact, went back to doc for secound checkup since starting it and bam my lung volume has increased along with my weezing going down, once that ecig came i simply quit smoking the cigs. i notice a HUGE diffrence. and not only that but i enjoy the Ecigs quite a bit it curves the cravings it curves the mental addiction and seeing the smoke sure does make it seam real :D

aneways dont take my story for granted go to your docs check whith them. they know your situation and your body prety well. also dont help having a course of action if you may have issues.. i'm sure not going to say that this will work for anyone or that it wont but i know it did for me and i havent had any issues with my lungs resulting from esmoking but the good benifits of not inhailing tar and ash.. the one thing i will say is if you think your having any issues from using ecig or you even are woried about having them.. specialy if you have asthma.. go to your doc take all the printouts you can find on ingrediants how it works and talk to him/her and get there opinions, and also let them know your corse of action, what you want to do and make sure to have a backup plan if things dont go as planed. eg i had somone standing by and a car standing by when i used my first ecig i sure as hell wasent taking any chances with it.. if you have lung and asthma issues make sure you keep your head clear and dont get so overly excited you dont think it thrue.. if it works thats awesome but if it goes bad having an inhailer next to you might not be enought.. just be carefull and a well thought plan is allways good and TALK TO DOCS they good peeps and they are there to help you :) well (most of the time) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread