Status
Not open for further replies.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
So I've been pretty successful with some one and two flavor liquids - I've got Earl Grey Tea and English Toffee pretty much where I want them, and Cranapple is coming along. The tea and toffee have been mostly comparing different brands of flavoring and experimenting with strength. The cranapple is working comparing brands and strengths and then fiddling with how much of each to use.

But the next liquid I want to make is something similar to a Burley Menthol tobacco that I'd been buying from Vaperite. It doesn't taste like smoking, of course, but I've been enjoying it and hope to come up with something similar. It tastes kind of like good plain pipe tobacco smells, but with menthol.

It sounds like things get more complicated with tobacco flavors. I have Inawera Burley Tobacco flavoring to start with for the base, and I'm assuming that the way to do this would be to work with that to find a percentage that I like and then add menthol. But I've got a couple of questions:

• Steeping - most of what I've read indicates that tobacco flavors are where steeping really becomes necessary. So how soon can a tobacco flavor be expected to taste at least sort of like it is going to end up?

• Strength - if steeping is necessary to tell how it's going to taste, how do you figure out what strength to make it? Just make samples of multiple strengths? What about starting strong, letting it steep and then adding more base as needed?

• Bases - I see that Inawera (and other sources?) has different bases that can (should?) be used with tobacco flavors. Is this necessary? Or even desirable? I don't want or need the flavor of burning vegetation, and I don't want the end product to be sweet. If I do use these, how much volume do they add? So far I've found it easiest to make up my PG/VG/Nicotine at 24 mg/ml and then just add flavoring, so I end up at 18-22, which works fine for me. If these bases are added at any larger amounts, then I'd need to modify this.

So, am I looking at the right things here? I'm not planning to try for a perfect clone, just something sort of similar to what I've been buying. I never liked any of the other tobacco flavored liquids that I had tried, so I'm not likely to go very far down the tobacco path.

odoyal63

Verified Member
The bases you can make up yourself. Just get Wg Dark tabacco and mix at 1% I believe it's the same for DNB. I would start with the recommended drops per ml from the shop and adjust from there. I usually make up a few 10ml samples at different strengths and let them steep for around 10 days. I would check out Inawera - a few reviews. It's a long read but you will learn a ton

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
As far as steeping some flavors like hangsen take 3 - 5 weeks. Inawera seem to take less time but still about 3 weeks on average. To find your strength I would make 3 test samples with the recommended percent being in the middle. So if burly takes 8 drops make that the middle sample with the lower sample at 6 drops and the higher sample at 10 drops. Taste them side by side, steep, then taste again side by side and decide which best suits your taste. At that point you can start your adjustments and enhancements.

I'm not sure about the base but most of the bases for tobacco have been using the dirty nutural base (DNB). As I have not tried burly if you get a hold of JimiD in the inawera thread he would be best to advise you on that. I use the inawera DNB additive with all my tobacco bases, but depending on which tobacco flavoring I'm using will determine how much DNB additive I add to my PG/VG/NIC base.

Last edited:

odoyal63

Verified Member
The universal tobacco base it 45pg 45vg 10dw with 1% Dark tobacco. Then you have the Dirty Neutral Base I don't remember the ratios but it has 1% dnb drops if you want to make it at home. I have found the bases to make a big difference in the overall flavor. I also highly recommend talking to jimmiD he can answer any Inawera question you may have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread