Status
Not open for further replies.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
So this morning my daughter (who is pregnant and never really listens to anything i say and pregnancy doesnt seem to stop her from using cigs), told me that her cousin said that e cigs are worse for you during pregnancy because they have synthetic nicotine instead of "real" or natural nicotine like an analog. I don't know anything about synthetic nicotine, not sure what to say.

Anybody who knows (because i know this forum is full of brilliant, well informed people), please help me with an answer. Thank you!

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Synthetic nicotine exists, but is horribly expensive. I know it is used for experiments, but I have never seen it used for a consumer product.

Getting it out of tobacco is a well established process and much less expensive. Why would anyone pay 100 of times more for the same thing? How would that marketing campaign even go? (Our juice is really expensive because we use only the best lab built nicotine molecules. One by one built just for you instead of grown in dirt like cheap nicotine.)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
My daughter is an RN Labor & Delivery nurse in a high risk women's and childrens hospital. They encourage their patients who smoke to switch to vaping. She tells me it is definitely the much safer alternative.

Plus, from everything I have read, including verified by the FDA tests done on eliquid in 2009, the nicotine in eliquids is from tobacco, not synthetic. As Hoosier indicated, they are not going to use the synthetic nicotine purely from a cost stand point.

I would suggest you join (and definitely support) CASAA and send them an email asking for documentation that proves your daughter obviously does not know what she is talking about.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
The nicotine is not the worst thing in cigarettes. In fact, there are many reports that say nicotine is good for you (in moderation). I would be more worried about the smoke and all the cancer causing chemicals in cigarettes. They use one chemical to keep the cigarette to burn evenly and one to keep it from smoldering.

I remember when they put the smolder-proof chemical in. It changed the flavor. The government required this chemical to prevent fires from people falling asleep or throwing out butts.

Even with e-cigs the nicotine is not the part that concerns me most. I am more worried about inhaling the heated flavorings.

All this said, even if you have proof positive that e-cigs were good for you, your child would believe her friend over you. Maybe just let her know that the child will be born craving a cigarette. With e-cigs, your daughter can gradually reduce the nicotine so maybe the baby won't have cravings.

CrystalClaire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2011
NYC
Kinda reminds me of this:

smokingm.jpg

:blink:

Sicarius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
NZ
Study done on Nicotine Patches.

While the nicotine patch lets at least one of the potentially harmful chemicals found in cigarettes enter a woman's body, Ogburn believes it's still far less harmful than smoking.

"Nicotine is not the most harmful chemical associated with cigarettes, and if you can avoid all the others you are at least giving your baby some protection," says Ogburn, who presented the study at the recent annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine in New Orleans.

I'm no doctor, but I am also not too stupid to do the math. If you can avoid the other chemicals then why no at least try ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread