Someone once said that there is no such......

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
.....thing as a stupid question.

So here goes nothing, I'm new to building my own coils, I first started because I was sick of buying pre built coils and burning through them at rapid pace. Became an expensive habit. So someone on ECF recommended that the Zephyrus tank was wonderful! And it is, I love it!

My question is, I'm using the RDA. I've got my wicking down pat and am building my dual coils to be around .4 OHMS (don't want to go any lower in an RDA due to being scared it will get to hot and not wick properly)

I'm using a pack of cotton I purchased at a local vape shop by YOUDE (the same brand that makes the Zephyrus) it is Japanese organic
- does the type of coils used affect the flavor?
Per say; I buy 100' of coil at one vape shop opposed to another can one reproduce better flavor? (Kanthol)

- does the brand of cotton make a difference in flavor?

*the reason I ask this is because if I vape anything over 28W I get burnt flavor and not good wicking.
- I've brought it into a vape shop and had the rep walk me through the wicking process to make sure I am doing it correct until I am comfortable doing so on my own (supervision kind of thing, he's not doing it for me, just watching me and critiquing me) he has a setup with a goblin v2 which RDA deck is extremely similar to the Zephyrus dual coil build just on a smaller scale. He is able to vape his at 60+ watts and get perfect wicking and AMAZING flavor.

***mind you I am not chasing giant clouds, my preference is decent clouds and great flavor.

I have watched multiple YouTube tutorials as well, they're not helping me..

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I'm not sure if the type of cotton or the wire has any bearing on the burnt taste. It might be possible that you have either too much or too little cotton. If there is too much, the coils choke off the liquid and the cotton ends up burning instead of being cooled by the liquid as the liquid itself vaporizes. If there is not enough, the coil is getting too hot because the liquid can't get to the coil to cool it.

Getting the right amount is the toughest part, for me. I just guess and get lucky!

Oh and a bump to keep this up there on the page. :)

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
What size wire, what are the dimensions of the coils. How tight is the cotton in the coil, are you combing the tails, how thick is the eliquid, are you leaving an air gap in the tails so the air/juice channels can breathe?

Btw: with a regulated mod the resistance doesn't really matter as long as the mod can fire it at the desired wattage.

msingletary

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
Gray, GA
Your questions are far from being stupid. Virtually every person who progresses to building their own coils asks them at some point.

The vendor/manufacturer of the kanthal doesn't really matter. The coil gets most of its properties from the build; wire gauge, coil size, # wraps.

Cotton from various sources can have an impact on taste, but this is a debatable topic since taste is completely subjective.

One thing to keep in mind is that some RTAs don't like heavy VG juices, 70% or higher, due to the high viscosity. It sounds like the vg% may be why you're getting dry hits at a lower wattage.

I'm a flavor chaser, so I always build in that direction. Single coil 7/8 wraps of twisted 26g on 3/32 bit (0.52ohm) in my Magma at 30 watts with cellucotton (rayon).

Reactions: bpurtell89

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
.....thing as a stupid question.

So here goes nothing, I'm new to building my own coils, I first started because I was sick of buying pre built coils and burning through them at rapid pace. Became an expensive habit. So someone on ECF recommended that the Zephyrus tank was wonderful! And it is, I love it!

My question is, I'm using the RDA. I've got my wicking down pat and am building my dual coils to be around .4 OHMS (don't want to go any lower in an RDA due to being scared it will get to hot and not wick properly)

I'm using a pack of cotton I purchased at a local vape shop by YOUDE (the same brand that makes the Zephyrus) it is Japanese organic
- does the type of coils used affect the flavor?
Per say; I buy 100' of coil at one vape shop opposed to another can one reproduce better flavor? (Kanthol)

- does the brand of cotton make a difference in flavor?

*the reason I ask this is because if I vape anything over 28W I get burnt flavor and not good wicking.
- I've brought it into a vape shop and had the rep walk me through the wicking process to make sure I am doing it correct until I am comfortable doing so on my own (supervision kind of thing, he's not doing it for me, just watching me and critiquing me) he has a setup with a goblin v2 which RDA deck is extremely similar to the Zephyrus dual coil build just on a smaller scale. He is able to vape his at 60+ watts and get perfect wicking and AMAZING flavor.

***mind you I am not chasing giant clouds, my preference is decent clouds and great flavor.

I have watched multiple YouTube tutorials as well, they're not helping me..

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1:
If coil type affects flavor it won't be by much.

2:
If brand of cotton affects flavor it won't be by much for a new vaper.

If you overpower your coil you get burnt flavor.

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm not sure if the type of cotton or the wire has any bearing on the burnt taste. It might be possible that you have either too much or too little cotton. If there is too much, the coils choke off the liquid and the cotton ends up burning instead of being cooled by the liquid as the liquid itself vaporizes. If there is not enough, the coil is getting too hot because the liquid can't get to the coil to cool it.

Getting the right amount is the toughest part, for me. I just guess and get lucky!

Oh and a bump to keep this up there on the page. :)

Hmmm I see. I was just bouncing thoughts off, I know it's for sure not to tight because that was my first issue! And if I use anymore than I am currently using I feel that it would go back to being to tight :unsure: my coils are at about a 2.8 dial also closely wrapped 6 wraps

I think I am going to go buy some new cotton today and try test the theory

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Sounds to me like the juice you're using may not like the power you're using. Some flavors/types of juice will taste burnt if there's even a little too much heat. Step the power down and see if it helps, but keep in mind that once the wicking material is scorched it will always taste burnt.
With a new juice or a new setup, always start the power low and work it up until it hits the spot.

Reactions: Boden

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
What size wire, what are the dimensions of the coils. How tight is the cotton in the coil, are you combing the tails, how thick is the eliquid, are you leaving an air gap in the tails so the air/juice channels can breathe?

Btw: with a regulated mod the resistance doesn't really matter as long as the mod can fire it at the desired wattage.
My mod is a 75w sigelei TC running on watts
My coils are a 6 wrap roughly 2.7-2.8 diameter.
When I wicked it I brought it to a local vape shop to a very experienced and knowledgable (to my standards, lol) employee

- this employee happened to be running a goblin v2 using the RDA so it's an extremely similar set up (4 post dual coil)

So I'm over here right now like :grr:

Edit: 24g kanthol

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Your questions are far from being stupid. Virtually every person who progresses to building their own coils asks them at some point.

The vendor/manufacturer of the kanthal doesn't really matter. The coil gets most of its properties from the build; wire gauge, coil size, # wraps.

Cotton from various sources can have an impact on taste, but this is a debatable topic since taste is completely subjective.

One thing to keep in mind is that some RTAs don't like heavy VG juices, 70% or higher, due to the high viscosity. It sounds like the vg% may be why you're getting dry hits at a lower wattage.

I'm a flavor chaser, so I always build in that direction. Single coil 7/8 wraps of twisted 26g on 3/32 bit (0.52ohm) in my Magma at 30 watts with cellucotton (rayon).

I think I'm going to test the theory of the cotton affecting it, I'm using a 65% VG blend currently from VapeWild

maybe I will try a 3mm build hoping it fits

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina

The wraps are at around 2.8mm
The cotton went in smoothly and it's not tight at all, I did fluff the ends before packing it back down into the juice channels
I'm using a 65% VG blend from VapeWild

*when you say comb do you literally mean comb the cotton?

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Sounds to me like the juice you're using may not like the power you're using. Some flavors/types of juice will taste burnt if there's even a little too much heat. Step the power down and see if it helps, but keep in mind that once the wicking material is scorched it will always taste burnt.
With a new juice or a new setup, always start the power low and work it up until it hits the spot.
The first time I tried I thought it was my cotton burnt but I took it apart and pulled the cotton out and it was still in immaculate condition, so I was baffled by it.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
The wraps are at around 2.8mm
The cotton went in smoothly and it's not tight at all, I did fluff the ends before packing it back down into the juice channels
I'm using a 65% VG blend from VapeWild

*when you say comb do you literally mean comb the cotton?

Don't pack it into the channels, the ends should just reach the top of the channels. There also needs to be a air gap in the tails so air can get past the wicks and into the tank.

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yes, there are different brands of wire can make a difference mostly because there are different grades of Kanthal A1/API, A/AE/AF, and D each has a slightly different composition and some people swear they can taste a difference. I personally only use Kanthal A1 when I use Kanthal.

Same goes with cotton, different brands can differ slightly and that can effect flavor as well.

The coil type and wicking style themselves can also make a difference in flavor. Ramp up time, surface area, coil mass, airflow (or lack of airflow), and various others factors can play a role.

Your juice can also be a contributing factor, but 65% VG should not cause wicking issues.

The truth is that almost every aspect of what is going to work best for you when it comes to vaping is totally subjective, experimentation will yield much greater results than taking other peoples word for it so long as you do it safely.

If I had to guess I would suggest less wicking material and putting it up to the juice channels but not in them and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpurtell89

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Don't pack it into the channels, the ends should just reach the top of the channels. There also needs to be a air gap in the tails so air can get past the wicks and into the tank.
I probably should have reworded that, I pull my 4 tails up and screw the chimney on, I then cut it down and fluff it out and lightly push it down into the chimney so it is above the juice channels, I don't pack it directly into the juice channels.

My apologies for making my technique sound so aggressive lol

Reactions: Boden

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Yes, there are different brands of wire can make a difference mostly because there are different grades of Kanthal A1/API, A/AE/AF, and D each has a slightly different composition and some people swear they can taste a difference. I personally only use Kanthal A1 when I use Kanthal.

Same goes with cotton, different brands can differ slightly and that can effect flavor as well.

The coil type and wicking style themselves can also make a difference in flavor. Ramp up time, surface area, coil mass, airflow (or lack of airflow), and various others factors can play a role.

The truth is that almost every aspect of what is going to work best for you when it comes to vaping is totally subjective, experimentation will yield much greater results than taking other peoples word for it so long as you do it safely.
Well I agree with what you're saying 100% I'm new to this aspect of vaping

So I'm not necessarily asking for what exactly I should do but this is an amazing community and you're all extremely helpful with even the most odd questions I've ever seen.

This is me building my knowledge and overcoming my own issues so one day when others are experiencing the same things I don't only have my own personal solutions but others as well :)

Plus I want a nice warm beautiful flavor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

bpurtell89

Aug 16, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
It could be you need to make smaller ID coils. If the coil is too large the top of the coil will not be cooled by the airflow and scorch the eliquid.

I have half of a kind to toss a tiny bit of cotton into the top of the chimney above the posts and see if that helps at all,

I've seen some RDA builds where the coil is laid on top of the post for dripping but if the cotton on top wicks then maybe it will help keep it cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread