Something new to worry about... kids don't call them "e-cigs" ... from the NYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
The front page of today's New York Times has an article "E-cigarettes, by other names lure young and worry experts."

The gist of the article is that studies may understate the use of e-cigs by teens because, well... let's let a user explain:

SAN FRANCISCO — Olivia Zacks, 17, recently took a drag of peach-flavored vapor from a device that most people would call an e-cigarette.

But Ms. Zacks, a high school senior, does not call it that. In fact, she insists she has never even tried an e-cigarette. Like many teenagers, Ms. Zacks calls such products “hookah pens” or “e-hookahs” or “vape pipe."

The new products and new names have health authorities wondering if they are significantly underestimating use because they are asking the wrong questions when they survey people about e-cigarettes.

It's an interesting notion. Personally, I think it requires a San Francisco byline to come up with such fine distinctions, but who knows? We can be pretty sure that this new idea is going to grabbed instantly by the antis, and they aren't going to wait for any studies before using it as often as possible.

PS The writer of the article gets my award for the "Best Description Of What's In an E-Cig:" "...addictive nicotine and unregulated swirl of other chemicals."

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Kids can be so clever, and so obtuse at the same time, can't they? Don't know if it was in this article or one of the several others I saw yesterday (probably from the same source) that said many kids really thought ecigs and hookah pens were totally different.

Hard to know if this is a true issue or simply another ANTZ bit scraped from the bottom of the propaganda barrel...

PS The writer of the article gets my award for the "Best Description Of What's In an E-Cig:" "...addictive nicotine and unregulated swirl of other chemicals."

How deliciously evil that description sounds. Not without reason, it seems, do I call my PV "the denormalizer"! :laugh:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Unregulated swirl or swill, lol.

Can someone direct me on how I make my Provari write? It does many things, however........

Slightly :offtopic: but in the same vein as your post: I've seen many times during the past year ANTZ, when describing ecigs, say that some of them resemble a flash drive. Can anyone link me to a device that looks like a flash drive?

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
I was just reading that. I find it interesting that teens are distinguishing between "e-cigarettes" which have nicotine and are used by people quitting smoking... and "vape pens" which don't have nicotine and are used by people at parties who want to blow smoke rings.

The author seems oblivious to this, opting instead to say something like "oh yeah 75% of the demand is 0 nicotine... but these retailers do offer lots of flavors with nicotine!!!"

Complete {self-moderated} twits.

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
Kids can be so clever, and so obtuse at the same time, can't they? Don't know if it was in this article or one of the several others I saw yesterday (probably from the same source) that said many kids really thought ecigs and hookah pens were totally different.

Hard to know if this is a true issue or simply another ANTZ bit scraped from the bottom of the propaganda barrel...

How deliciously evil that description sounds. Not without reason, it seems, do I call my PV "the denormalizer"! :laugh:

I still love this and am going to start using it LOL

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Slightly :offtopic: but in the same vein as your post: I've seen many times during the past year ANTZ, when describing ecigs, say that some of them resemble a flash drive. Can anyone link me to a device that looks like a flash drive?
It's them things what puts the tobaccos in the vapes:

usb-tri-bundle.png

TNT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
York, PA
The "experts" have to figure out what the kids are even calling him... LOL does anyone else see what's wrong with this picture?

I've been away from e-cigs for a couple of years, but one thing that's clear... the "experts" are still way behind the curve on just about everything that has to do with the topic.

On March 1st, the New York Times ran an editorial on e-cigs that contained this nugget: "Lab tests by the F.D.A. have also found that some electronic cigarettes contain dangerous chemicals that are used in antifreeze." The link "dangerous chemicals" goes to... the infamous 2009 FDA press release. To me, that's like saying, "Be careful painting in your house. Previous studies have shown lead being used in house paint."

It goes on an on. Every nugget of bad information ever written about e-cigs is breathlessly repeated as gospel by the antis, to matter how outdated or just plain wrong that information was. Every good thing about them is still modified, wrapped, remodified and rewrapped in "we just don't know."

If kids say they can't tell the difference between an e-cig and e-hookah or whatever, that's going to immediately go into the canon. If 10,000 people comment that they quit cigarettes with an e-cig, it goes right to, "but, really, we just don't know, do we?"

I have to go. I'm out of unregulated swirl.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread