Somewhat positive article on Healthcare Professionals Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
E-cigarette use is on the rise in the US and Europe. Use among children and teens is limited, and it appears EC is less likely to lead to continuous use, as compared to traditional cigarettes. From this dataset, it appears EC’s are less addicting than traditional cigarettes and contain less known carcinogens.
- See more at: Are E-Cigarettes a Good Thing?

Sounds good and of course it's positive that some MD's seem to be supportive, and are prepared to write articles to that effect, but I do have some concerns about this. Mainly that the author just does not have a clue what he's writing about!! :facepalm:

If you read through to the end, the author includes caveats that the studies he refers to did not cover "the increasing practice of vaping". As if his understanding is that using e-cigarettes and what he believes is "vaping" are two entirely different activities. Furthermore he goes on to suggest that "vaping" is related to using drugs like "cannabinoids" or "alcohol flavorings". It seems to me like the author is fundamentally not understanding that the studies he writes about DO cover what we commonly refer to as "vaping"!

Elsewhere, the author implies ALL e-cigarette vapours are cytotoxic. However if you read through the Addiction piece on which the article is based, it refers to 1 of 21 e-cig vapours tested as being cytotoxic, which apparently was related to coffee flavouring. Maybe that is just a misunderstanding but it's quite an important one.

That was my feelings on it, what do you think? Perhaps Dr Frank J Domino needs some education about what vaping is?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
That's great Kent :) What were his concerns?

Basically that they were safe and that longer term studies don't show harm. IOW, what most here want :) Although personally, I already know enough to just continue. If he takes the time to read some of the links, they should help with an understanding of those things.

I also told him that my own doctors have encouraged the use of ecigs over smoking and were glad I quit smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread