Sony VTC4 Battery Safety Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitty

May 20, 2020
I have the Sony VTC4 18650, and the manufacturer says the CDR on it is 30A with a cutoff of 80 degrees celsius. I seen the table called "18650 Battery Ratings Table" that was posted on "Mooch's blog".
On the chart the tester says it has an estimated CDR of 23A. I'm a bit confused because I have seen many people online saying they were using the VTC4 for it's 30A.

Now my question is should I be able to use it for up to 30A or stay safe and don't exceed 23A like the chart shows?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
These batteries are not meant to be used outside a protected battery pack. Sony’s claim of 30 amps if kept <80°C is for a controlled environment. We do not vape within a controlled environment. There is not a single vape device that can maintain battery temperature.

The 30 amp draw within Mooch’s test below yields an extremely poor run time and temps reaching 97°C. He feels this is much too high of a temperature.

If you require a 30 amp battery, choose a Samsung 20S

Sony VTC4 2000mAh 18650 Retest Results...a great 23A 2100mAh battery

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Better safe than sorry.

AXvop6x.jpg

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I don't really need 30A but I'm just asking to be safe. So if I use it below 23A I should be fine?
The 23A number wasn't picked because it is "safe", as there exists no "safe", but to keep the risk down low enough that we can recommend to those who ask "How much is safe?", yes, to stay at or below the true CDR (as presented by Mooch in his battery test reports and battery ratings tables) for the battery you select for vaping is considered the next best equivalent of how much is safe so, at or below 23A for the VTC4.

Navigate to 8:50 in the video below to learn more about how the CDR relates to battery safety.

(EDIT: at 16:41 in the video is when he explains that not exceeding it doesn't mean it is "safe".)

Also, for an even more in-depth explanation:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread