The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Sony VTC5 Safe Discharge Voltage?

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by makeyourself, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. makeyourself

makeyourself Senior Member

Jan 4, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I'm wondering what voltage I can discharge this battery down to safely, either under load or without load. I have searched but can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this. I know that my mod apparently has a cut off or at 3.2V, is it OK to carry on until it gets to that voltage? I know it isn't ideal to do 100% charge cycles on batteries because the battery won't last as long, I'm just wondering if its OK to go down that low every now and then or whether I need to manually remove the battery earlier?

2. GreMos90

GreMos90 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2014
    Alberta
  3. GreMos90

GreMos90 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2014
    Alberta
    Oh I read the question wrong sorry. Most People I've seen say 2.5V but I dunno...
    I'd rather just charge at 3-3.2 like you said

EDIT: just disregard everything I say today I'm ungodly sick and bloody tired.

4. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The Sony batteries above are IMR/hybrid chemistry batteries. These batteries are capable of a much lower minimum discharge voltage before causing physical damage to the battery. The battery is capable of being discharged to 2.5V whereas IMR/ICR batteries have a cutoff around 3.2V.

With that being said, I still believe it is good practice to remove a battery after it has reached around 3.4 volts and recharge it.

5. makeyourself

makeyourself Senior Member

Jan 4, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the info I've now read some more of Sony's official documentation which seems to confirm a 2.5V safe cut off. I assume that the 2.5V is under load but I guess 3.2V on idle should still be OK for that.

6. beckdg

beckdg ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2013
    TN
    minimum discharge voltage is always under load.

in most cases voltage won't be recorded in real time while load is applied.

always assume you need head room. resting voltage after load is removed creeps up fast. there'll be no indicators of what the voltage under load was by the time you can hit the button and check the voltage let alone remove the battery and put it on a tester.

personally, i'd prefer a resting voltage of at least 3.5V, but again, that's personal preference at that point.

though, with a 0.76Ω coil, my AW 24 amp batteries show a significant loss of performance and are removed from the mod with a resting voltage between 3.85V and 3.92V consistently. this tells me they're struggling to keep their voltage under load and output the current even at those specs.

the less struggle they have per cycle, the more cycles you'll get out of them as long as they're not abused otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.