Sony VTC5 Safe Discharge Voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what voltage I can discharge this battery down to safely, either under load or without load. I have searched but can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this. I know that my mod apparently has a cut off or at 3.2V, is it OK to carry on until it gets to that voltage? I know it isn't ideal to do 100% charge cycles on batteries because the battery won't last as long, I'm just wondering if its OK to go down that low every now and then or whether I need to manually remove the battery earlier?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The Sony batteries above are IMR/hybrid chemistry batteries. These batteries are capable of a much lower minimum discharge voltage before causing physical damage to the battery. The battery is capable of being discharged to 2.5V whereas IMR/ICR batteries have a cutoff around 3.2V.

With that being said, I still believe it is good practice to remove a battery after it has reached around 3.4 volts and recharge it.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
minimum discharge voltage is always under load.

in most cases voltage won't be recorded in real time while load is applied.

always assume you need head room. resting voltage after load is removed creeps up fast. there'll be no indicators of what the voltage under load was by the time you can hit the button and check the voltage let alone remove the battery and put it on a tester.

personally, i'd prefer a resting voltage of at least 3.5V, but again, that's personal preference at that point.

though, with a 0.76Ω coil, my AW 24 amp batteries show a significant loss of performance and are removed from the mod with a resting voltage between 3.85V and 3.92V consistently. this tells me they're struggling to keep their voltage under load and output the current even at those specs.

the less struggle they have per cycle, the more cycles you'll get out of them as long as they're not abused otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread