Sore, raw mouth and little/no flavor when I vape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been vaping for less than 2 weeks, and for the past 4 days my tongue and mouth have been sore and I can barely taste the flavor of my juices anymore.

I've found some info on "vaper's tongue" but I was always a lighter smoker (sometimes I'd go for days without a cigarette) so I think it's doubtful that it would be caused by quitting the cigs. I've been switching up my flavors multiple times a day since the beginning so it's not that I'm just used to one flavor.

It started with just my tongue - I tried some apple cinnamon juice that was pretty strong on the cinnamon, and the first couple days I figured it was just that. But now it's been 4 days and my whole mouth is just raw. I've increased my water intake (by a lot), I'm brushing my tongue when I brush my teeth, I tried pickles to "cleanse my palette."

I can still can barely taste my juice, but I can taste food and drinks fine, so I'm starting to freak out. I loved all the juice flavors for the first few days and I just want to be able to taste them again! :cry:

Oops, sorry I should've included that.

Usually 2, maybe 3 clearos on some days, so 3-5 ml (I'm using mostly iClear 16s, sometimes Aerotank or Mini Protank 3) on an eGo C Twist.

Most of my juices are 50/50, I have one that's 100% VG, all purchased from local B&Ms and a couple online shops (VistaVapor, and the Bryce's Custard guy)

Kim B.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
STL MO
It does sound like vapor's tongue. I feel for ya, I struggled with this for the first couple of months of vaping and I still get it occasionally. There's no one solution that works for everyone but I'll offer a couple that seems to help me: Step up your teeth brushing; I sometimes brush mine 4-5 times a day when vapor's tongue strikes, also lightly brush your tongue too. A rinse with a mild mouthwash can help. Chewing gum or those Hall's Fruit Breezers lozenges can help too, the Fruit Breezers don't have that strong mentholated stuff like other throat lozenges do and if you vape fruit flavors they can help boost your flavor experience. After some experimentation I noticed that higher pg juices seemed to give me vapor's tongue and a sore throat more often than not, changing to high vg (70% or more) helped a lot.

I hope this helps, don't give up!

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I've found any juice with cinnamon or a nut just isn't fun for my tongue after a few hits, maybe that's the deal.

I've seen my first case of oral thrush with a vaper, it makes sense it's sugar and yeast loves that... just for everyone, its' a white sores, or hairy looking white patches on your tongue, throat, oral cavity (it can get all the way down your esophagus and make you quite ill)
sorry for the graphic nature but go look in a mirror and if it is...

ds00408_im01261_r7_oralthrushthu_jpg.ashx

if it is that and you're healthy yogurt (with active culture) or acidophilus capsules and if diabetic or immune compromised or not healthy in general get to a doc for an antifungal mouth swish and spit Rx.

I'd give it a shot with no flavor (if you're using it for a nicotine delivery system) keep the water going, and if your mouth has white patches try the yogurt or get to your doc, sorry that's happening to you. :)

You didn't mention your nicotine level. That could be too high. If you get raw liquid in your mouth rinse immediately! :ohmy:

11 or 12 depending on the juice, but no higher than that. I'll try some higher VG juice, but even my 100% stuff (which was my favorite flavor, dang it!) isn't yummy anymore. :(

I'll have to try the Gatorade too, and just picked up some mouthwash for dry mouth and some Halls Breezers. I just hope it gets better soon!

I've found any juice with cinnamon or a nut just isn't fun for my tongue after a few hits, maybe that's the deal.

I've seen my first case of oral thrush with a vaper, it makes sense it's sugar and yeast loves that... just for everyone, its' a white sores, or hairy looking white patches on your tongue, throat, oral cavity (it can get all the way down your esophagus and make you quite ill)
sorry for the graphic nature but go look in a mirror and if it is...

if it is that and you're healthy yogurt (with active culture) or acidophilus capsules and if diabetic or immune compromised or not healthy in general get to a doc for an antifungal mouth swish and spit Rx.

I'd give it a shot with no flavor (if you're using it for a nicotine delivery system) keep the water going, and if your mouth has white patches try the yogurt or get to your doc, sorry that's happening to you. :)

Well it's definitely not that, thank goodness! That looks painful (and gross!) ;)

are you smoking other things? like cigarettes or other.
my son was smoking... and his mouth actually peeled! inside his mouth and tongue.
he's afraid to try to vape now.

Nope, I've been completely off cigs since I started vaping. That's a big reason why I worry, because I don't want to go back to them!

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
You're in your first two weeks of vaping, but more importantly of not smoking. Even if you were a very very light smoker there are things that can present themselves after you stop.

When I quit i had a bit of discomfort for a few days after about a week or so, after that period was over my taste buds seemed sort of turned up. They've been that way ever since. Probably the only real drawback to vaping I've found so far is that I have to work to not gain weight because everything tastes so good.

AK Maniak

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Montana
I can sympathize. I am currently suffering from VT and it sucks haha. The dry mouth is a pain in the ..., but worst of all is that I can't taste my vapor. I've tried drinking a ton of water throughout the day, various juices, sports drinks such as gatorade, as well as coffee. The coffee worked fairly well as did the gatorade. Sadly though, these only seem to be temporary band aids at most. Once I stop actively drinking them, it VT symptoms come back quite rapidly. Hard candies or mouth wash are a temporary fix as well, and once they are gone the VT is back.

Seems like if I go an hour or so without vaping then it begins to reside but once i take a hit or two its right back in full force. I smoked an analogue in the middle of not vaping for 2 hours and it didn't wreck my mouth like the vapor did. This leads me to believe that it is directly caused by the VG and/or PG.

I hope this goes away or I can find a more permanent solution, because as of right now it is very discouraging. Hopefully other new vapers have better luck than I've had.

I can sympathize. I am currently suffering from VT and it sucks haha. The dry mouth is a pain in the ..., but worst of all is that I can't taste my vapor. I've tried drinking a ton of water throughout the day, various juices, sports drinks such as gatorade, as well as coffee. The coffee worked fairly well as did the gatorade. Sadly though, these only seem to be temporary band aids at most. Once I stop actively drinking them, it VT symptoms come back quite rapidly. Hard candies or mouth wash are a temporary fix as well, and once they are gone the VT is back.

Seems like if I go an hour or so without vaping then it begins to reside but once i take a hit or two its right back in full force. I smoked an analogue in the middle of not vaping for 2 hours and it didn't wreck my mouth like the vapor did. This leads me to believe that it is directly caused by the VG and/or PG.

I hope this goes away or I can find a more permanent solution, because as of right now it is very discouraging. Hopefully other new vapers have better luck than I've had.

AK Maniak, how long have you been vaping? Sounds like we're having the same exact issue - maybe we need to start a Vaper's Tongue support group lol. I haven't had a cig (knock on wood) because I'm still getting the nicotine hit from my juice... I just wish I could taste the dang stuff!
What percent PG/VG are you using?

AK Maniak

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Montana
AK Maniak, how long have you been vaping? Sounds like we're having the same exact issue - maybe we need to start a Vaper's Tongue support group lol. I haven't had a cig (knock on wood) because I'm still getting the nicotine hit from my juice... I just wish I could taste the dang stuff!
What percent PG/VG are you using?

I've only been vaping for a little over a week now. I started with 50/50 liquid @18mg of nic. Then i tried 70vg/30pg @ 6mg, and lastly i just recently tried 100vg @ 3mg.

And I agree, it sucks because I initially thought "THIS IS IT!" vaping is the perfect alternative to smoking. And while it is worlds better, it still has some cons to it. But then again, what doesn't.

I've been doing a bit of research on the interwebz and it seems like there really is no simple answer. Lots of suggestions to help it but nothing concrete in regards to not only a remedy but the true cause as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread