Sore throat - is it harsh flavors / too much flavoring related?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I recently started DTL vaping, and 3 days after I got my firemesh pro , I also got a sore throat. It's been 6 days now with a sore throat. I stopped vaping for a day and it has helped a little. No other symptoms.

I am waiting for my doctors appointment later today to rule out certain bacterial throat infections, but I think it might have to do with what I am vaping.

The Setup: 60-80 watts M2 mesh falcon horizon or triple mesh firemax mesh pro. (I try to keep the watts as low as possible , these coils ask for 70-110 watts)

The recipes (someone told me some flavorings are more harsher then others - I use anywhere from 15% - 25% flavoring )

70 vg / 30 pg for most recipes (Should I be using more VG ??)

I take no credit for these recipes. Some were adapted from others. I just want to know if these recipes are prone to sore throats due to flavorings involved.

========================================
1- jam monster.png

=============================================
2 - orange cream.png

========================================
3 - stranana custard.png

==============================================
4 - Cherry Chocolate.png

===========================================
5 - coffee crisp dream.png

=========================================
6 - Simple Raspberry Dounut v2.png

=========================================
7- banana split.png

8 - Lemon Pie.png

====================================================
9- Watermelon Rancher.png

10- bronut.png

=============================

More recipes in thread please check them guys :(

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
When I switched from mtl to direct lung I had to drop my nicotine in half ,12 to 6..When I switched from a low air flow tank to an RDA I had to drop again, 6 to 3 . Both for the sore throat and harshness of the inhales. Same juice, different inhale method was my culprit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

LOL Ok it's not that then. Maybe too high heat? One thing you can do to determine if it is PG or VG is try them individually. Use 100% PG then try 90% VG with 10% Distilled Water. If it goes away with one but not the other, you have your culprit.

• Agree

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
i've read you shouldn't use 100% pg in DTL , because it would be too harsh.

all flavorings have some pg so how do u do 90% vg and 10% distilled water?

Are you sure its not just flavor amount as the culprit? I've vaped 50/50 vg/pg and 70/30 vg/pg before in MTL vaping

I mean no flavorings at all for testing. Try the PG or VG straight. If neither the 100%PG nor the 90/10 VG are the culprit then we start testing flavors. Process of elimination works best when isolating and testing the individual parts separately.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I mean no flavorings at all for testing. Try the PG or VG straight. If neither the 100%PG nor the 90/10 VG are the culprit then we start testing flavors. Process of elimination works best when isolating and testing the individual parts separately.

That is a great idea thank you ! Someone told me to put all my flavorings here so people could tell me what flavors I am using that tend to be harsh. If you spot any do let me know ! I already know that I cannot DTL vape choc glazed donut (cap) i dunno why it makes me cough so .

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah figuring out if it's your base is probably your best bet. There just is not the kind of information you are looking for as to your flavoring mixes. The likelihood of even ONE person vaping those flavor combinations at low and then high wattage is just about 100% nil, and even if someone chimed in and said, "Ooh, yeah, I had a problem with recipe one at low temp but not high temp at your exact ratio," that's not going to help you that much because sensitivities of that sort tend to be highly individual. I can't vape vanillas they make me hoarse. They are also one of the most common ingredients in many recipes.

Try the 90VG 10DW and see if it's less harsh on your throat. It could be the PG at high temperatures.

A FEW flavors are kind of known for irritation like cinnamons, menthol (for some people) maybe citruses.

If you get a base working add in your flavoring slowly and one at a time, which yes, will be a pain, but I really don't think ALL of your mixes are causing you irritation, although again, most flavorings are PG, so if you can't tolerate say, more than 12% PG in a base in your new wattage, well, that is going to mean limiting your flavors to 12% or less of the PG flavors, and there are also some VG flavorings available, or in alcohol bases and whatnot, but they're more limited.

I'd like just try plain for a week and find your best "base" and go from there. Really, it's probably your best bet for figuring out what is going on.

Although it again, could just be your body adjusting to a new way of vaping and warmer vape, I can't stress that enough.

However, if you want to do the elimination diet of vaping, you should, for your own peace of mind if nothing else. It's absolutely horrible whether it's food or vaping but it does actually work.

Anna

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Yeah figuring out if it's your base is probably your best bet. There just is not the kind of information you are looking for as to your flavoring mixes. The likelihood of even ONE person vaping those flavor combinations at low and then high wattage is just about 100% nil, and even if someone chimed in and said, "Ooh, yeah, I had a problem with recipe one at low temp but not high temp at your exact ratio," that's not going to help you that much because sensitivities of that sort tend to be highly individual. I can't vape vanillas they make me hoarse. They are also one of the most common ingredients in many recipes.

Try the 90VG 10DW and see if it's less harsh on your throat. It could be the PG at high temperatures.

A FEW flavors are kind of known for irritation like cinnamons, menthol (for some people) maybe citruses.

If you get a base working add in your flavoring slowly and one at a time, which yes, will be a pain, but I really don't think ALL of your mixes are causing you irritation, although again, most flavorings are PG, so if you can't tolerate say, more than 12% PG in a base in your new wattage, well, that is going to mean limiting your flavors to 12% or less of the PG flavors, and there are also some VG flavorings available, or in alcohol bases and whatnot, but they're more limited.

I'd like just try plain for a week and find your best "base" and go from there. Really, it's probably your best bet for figuring out what is going on.

Although it again, could just be your body adjusting to a new way of vaping and warmer vape, I can't stress that enough.

However, if you want to do the elimination diet of vaping, you should, for your own peace of mind if nothing else. It's absolutely horrible whether it's food or vaping but it does actually work.

Anna

Can the majority of vapors vape DTL high wattage (60-100 watts) with 20% flavors no problem? I just thought maybe I was using too much flavoring. I like to add a lot of flavors ... I adapt others recipes and add more ........ No idea why .. well mainly to get easier strawberry flavor with some, I add 3 strawberry so it doesn't fade

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There are plenty of commercial outfits flavoring at that percentage, so I'd imagine it's possible. Hence the deceptively labelled commercial "Max VG" eliquid. They don't want to tell cloudchasers that 15--20% of their vape is flavors, and that most flavors are PG based. Because many of them would be all "Whut? I want 100%VG."

I don't think it's supremely UNCOMMON, but I think there are plenty of folks using less than 20% flavorings, including some commercial outfits.

I will say (since I am pg sensitive and can't tolerate more than about 10% in my vape) well my flavorings are all 10% and under, but when I was using VG/DW for everything else, the flavor was nowhere near as good as when I subbed in PEG400 a PG alternative that also is a flavor carrier. It's not that they got stronger well, maybe a bit, but they were sharper, crisper, and more defined is the best way I can put it.

Is there some reason you decided on 20%, has it always been this way, and have you ever tried lower flavoring and/or steeping more.

I think too much flavor is just as bad as too little, but IDK there isn't some general requirement to vape 20% flavor because you've switched to DL. There just isn't.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
i've read you shouldn't use 100% pg in DTL , because it would be too harsh.

all flavorings have some pg so how do u do 90% vg and 10% distilled water?

Are you sure its not just flavor amount as the culprit? I've vaped 50/50 vg/pg and 70/30 vg/pg before in MTL vaping
I would reduce the flavors myself. My juice are pretty smooth. I mix a max vg with 6% dw base, the only pg comes from flavors. Pick the harshest mix and reduce flavors by .5%. The calculator will do this for you. Hit the tool and you will see flavor totals. Just enter .5% and it will adjust them all.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I have no clue if flavorings can cause your problem, but, dang girl...

I use at the very most 7% total flavorings, my 2 ADV's are 4.25% & 5%, wife's is 7%.

I find using too much flavorings actually decreases taste, if that makes sense.

Yeah Im new to DTL , and when I was MTL vaping, I had trouble tasting my juice so I kept raising it a little to try to taste it more ..

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I would reduce the flavors myself. My juice are pretty smooth. I mix a max vg with 6% dw base, the only pg comes from flavors. Pick the harshest mix and reduce flavors by .5%. The calculator will do this for you. Hit the tool and you will see flavor totals. Just enter .5% and it will adjust them all.

When I input 0.5% into the flavor total , it changes my flavor total to : 0.51 % .. um lol ;D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
When I input 0.5% into the flavor total , it changes my flavor total to : 0.51 % .. um lol ;D
Apologies. You have to input what your new target percentage is. For example if you have 6 flavors you would subtract 3 from the current flavor total and enter that number. Minus .5 for each flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread