"SPE" blood test read keeps failing, due to vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassworm

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
Okay, here is an interesting experience I seem to be encountering -

I started back on vaping in December of 2011 , after the crazy holiday rush and all I decided to go and start donating plasma ( read: selling my body for research ), its a fairly popular and common thing, you go in, and get hooked up to a machine that extracts plasma from your blood, it takes about an hour to go through the process and you make money, usually about 60.00 a week if you go twice, it gets put on a prepaid card , so I was like awesome, I can use this to order vape stuff!

Part of the process is you have to have a physical and blood drawn so the company can ensure you are a viable subject or whatever - This is where it gets interesting ...

I went in, did the physical, the blood draw , donated plasma 2 times, then the next time I went back I was told I couldn't donate because they couldn't get a good read on my blood for some reason, and I would have to reschedule for another physical and all that --

So I did, they said I only needed my blood redrawn and I could continue to donate, so I went along with it, was able to donate another 2 times before I was told my blood was "UN-readable" for testing" and they had to re-draw, after this 3rd time I donated then came back and was told that I couldn't donate until my results from the 3rd blood test came back because I was outside of the 21 day grace period and the lab couldnt get a good "SPE read" because I had to much of something ( like fatty cells or lipids or something like that ) in my blood --

They asked if I had any health changes or changes in my diet, and I told them that I have started to eat a little bit better and diet but left out the vaping because at the time I was pretty irritated and didnt really put it together, but after reading this post here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...7671-toxicological-effects-pg-vs-vg-long.html

Specifically this quote -

"Based on these findings, I have my own speculations that inhalation of VG either causes a release of fats in the adipose tissue or facilitates further storage of fat in the adipose tissue. I have noticed fat-loss potentially associated with my introduction to this process."

I am wondering if vaping is causing something to metabolize into my bloodstream that is causing the lab to be unable to read my blood.

Anyway, thoughts, comments , random blatherings ? anyone....??

vikeme28

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Waste Lands
Idk about all the fatty cell stuff but I have tried donating plasma a couple different times. The most recent was in October and November after vaping for a few months and they never detected or couldn't get a reading on anything. I do have to say that its a horrible experience for me and never going back. They have very young and inexperienced people sticking you with needles. Its nice to donate but it robs you of all the stuff that helps your body defend itself. I'm sticking with just donating blood. Once a couple of months.

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Did you fast before the test? Conceivably having eaten can interfere SPEP. I'm not sure, to be honest. On the Mayo clinic site, at reasons for rejection it says "Lipemia, Gross - OK" (lipemia is ampount of fat in the blood). You may want to get a fasting "lipid profile" to figure out the "fat cells" thing.

"VG" is glycerin, a very common substance in foodstuffs. It's a basic building block of all types of fat in plants animals and you. It's also added as a low calorie sweetener and for other purposes to... a lot. It's so common in food and in the blood / body that I believe there's no reason to suspect that vaping a few extra grams of the stuff would have a measurable impact on your metabolism.

In any event, I see the post in question was deleted "at the poster's request", there was nothing "ugly" as far as I remember, I have no idea why the OP wanted it deleted.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Your problem is a medical issue which is extremely unlikely to be related to vaping. Please ask your physician for a range of blood tests, after ensuring that your diet has been stable and nutritious for several days. Do mention that you are a leisure consumer of nicotine, as concealing lifestyle issues and decisions from your doctor is a poor idea.

The thread you referred to started with a post that was full of basic errors and a lack of comprehension of most of the issues, written by a beginner. These things are fine in the right place (some kind of coursework for example) but when published here as 'fact' by someone stating they have medical knowledge tends to cause problems.

As an example, see if you can tell what is wrong with this statement:

"One cigarette contains approximately 1mg of nicotine, with some variance. Thus, at this concentration, 2 drops [of e-liquid] roughly equals 1 cigarette."

Hint: one cigarette contains between 13mg and 23mg of nicotine. There is a massive logic error here, and one that is basic to the understanding of several of the issues; and indicates that some form of tutelage is required in order to resolve some comprehension issues.

Whenever you see the MSDS for a commonly-consumed substance used as a reason for its avoidance, it is an immediate warning that the author has no knowledge of toxicology - which is the subject under discussion. If you would like an explanation of this, look up the MSDS for water, or salt (sodium chloride), or even something like beta-carotene. They all appear to be highly toxic and extremely dangerous. In fact you would die if you didn't consume them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread