Specific question about an RCR 123A charger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedge

Oct 4, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Hola, fellow vapers. I am pleased to announce I am awaiting shipment of a beautiful Silver Bullet, it's coming with two 18650's (which I have experience with) and 4 RCR123A's (Which I do not). Specifically, 4-Tenergy 3.0 volt RCR 123A batteries. The deal comes with a 3.7 volt charger, but not one for the 123A's. I was poking around online for a cheap battery charger that would at least be compatible with them so I could charge them (eventually I'll pick up something nicer) and ran across this: CR123 Rechargeable Battery Charger - DinoDirect.com

My question: is this charger compatible, and would it be reasonably safe?
Any feedback is appreciated, thanks all! :vapor:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Seems ok on the surface, but is very cheap. Maybe this means just inexpensive, and maybe it means the charging circuitry will fry out faster than others. Hard to say. Probably not dangerous, but might stop working sooner than others. The internal circuits, depending on the components, are rated for a certain number of charges at some amperage and voltage. I have not used this one, but I have found that cheapo electronics do tend to die faster, such as $2 AC-5V-USB converters. But you might get lucky.

Personally, I have found the Ultrafire products to be quite good and last a long time. I would be springing for this one for an entry-level recharger:

UltraFire WF-138 CR123A Charger with 4 x Rechargeable Batteries - DinoDirect.com

sizemore2000

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Tahlequah, Oklahoma
I would only purchase the tenergy charger for those batts.

Tenergy Charger for RCR123A 3.0V 900mah Li-ion Battery | eBay

Tenergy only recommends this.

The one you have listed is for 3.6v which means it will charge up to about 4.1v which prolly won't work. The circuit built into those batts will cut it off from charging.

I use the 3.0 volt Tenergy batts! They are great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread