Specific reason to use water in my juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I know people use up to 10% distilled water to thin juice (like for all VG) but this if for a different reason. I mostly do MTL so have stuff to make my usual 12 mg base but now I'm trying DTL and kinda stuck. All I have is VG and 48 mg nic in PG... fine for making my 65VG/35pg 12 mg base. I need to do two things: reduce the nic level (add VG but...) and then thin the juice (I have no plain PG) How much water would equal PG as far as thinning is concerned? Like would 10% water thin as much as 20% PG? I hope this makes sense. It's a temporary fix... obviously need to get some PG. Would like to end up with equivalent to 80VG/20PG and 6 mg nic.

Reactions: stols001

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Well... that was easy! Seems so close to basically be the same. Thanks. Just got some distilled water (need to do this ASAP)
Just built a DTL RTA (also built a MTL RTA) and building a RDTA tomorrow. I am so loving this! Got a 5 pack of drop-ins for my Nautilus X tank... hope I never have to buy any again (just use it for carry around) DIY rocks :D

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Density of WATER=1 gr/ml
Density of PG=1.038 gr/ml
10% water will thin you'r juice as much as the amount of 10.38% PG.
Well, density and viscosity are not the same thing, and water will thin VG (reduce viscosity) VG more than PG -- also, adding water will change the boiling point and vape characteristics more than adding a similar amount of PG.

I find a mix of VG and distilled water (DW) at around 90 VG - 10 DW is fairly close to the viscosity of a 50:50 PG/VG mix. When I do Max VG mixes for a friend of mine, I find 5% DW generally sufficient for her equipment and vaping style.

Or maybe I am not understanding the original question?

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
jandrew, that's more like what I was thinking. Thanks for clearing that up. I was sitting out back vaping and thought "wait a minute... this isn't going to work" The main idea was to get it down to 6 mg nic. So I can add quite a bit of VG and some water to thin it out... doing the math will be tricky. Don't really care if the flavor dilutes (besides I also do DIY so can add some flavor) Going back out to vape and hopefully come up with a formula. I often mix pre-made juices and DIY. Is there a calculator that can work with odd combinations (I will just pretend the 90VG/10DW is 50/50)?

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
The calc at e-liquid- recipes. Com can work with DW/PGA, but keep in mind, the ratio is factored before the water portion. Also, you may want to mix at a higher ratio than 65/35 for DTL, as PG can cause harshness too.
I want to end up around 80VG/20PG (or equivalent using some water) Thanks for the calc tip.

Reactions: HigherStateD

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
None of this has to be perfect (and decided a little thinner is OK) so going with 5% (don't forget 5-10% flavor in PG)
Looking back... big mistake getting 48 mg nic in PG (and no plain PG) That was fine for my MTL base at the time. Lesson learned. Next order will be 100 mg nic (better deal) plain PG and VG (duh!) There is a sort of side benefit to all this. Going to try to reduce some booze (heat/evaporation) to use as an extra flavor. Most of the alcohol will evaporate so now I know how much to use in a recipe. For now it's problem solved... just needed less nic so I can do direct lung without overdoing the nic. Thank you all.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Much safer to avoid alcohol in your vape; it's just not friendly to your lungs. Also suggest steering clear of grocery store flavorings as some are harmful. For your background, the lungs are significantly more fragile than other organs like the stomach. If you want a liquor flavor, Flavor Art has concentrated whiskey, gin, brandy, irish cream, rum, and champagne flavors, among others such as tiramisu and cappuccino. You can buy 10ml for under $3 most anywhere. GL

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
When I cook, I do it to taste. And when I add salt, I tell myself "You can add more, but you can't really take it out".

So yeah, juice is like that. Add 3% water, or whatever, and see if it works. If not, add a few more drops (count them all) and then you'll know for next time. Custom juice!

You don't want to know how I eyeball the nic base in a 30 ml bottle. Just mix in small batches, then try to scale.

:2c:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
LoveVanilla, I said I would evaporate the alcohol off. A 50 ml bottle (80 proof/40%alcohol) is $4... about 30 ml after evaporation and I can use it for flavor and thinning the juice. No worries (I know what I'm doing) No, I won't use grocery store flavor extracts.
AttyPops, you totally get it... this isn't rocket science.
greek mule, don't get me wrong (you tend to give great advice!) but if I had listened to you, I would be vaping mostly steam.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
  • Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You don't want to use any alcohols with real sugar. I think everclear and sometimes vodka are really the only thing you can use safely.

This did not prevent me putting burgundy wine in my vape (Once) was curious. It caramelized on my coil almost instantly. It didn't TASTE that bad. but like the entire house got flooded with this smell of really authentic curry. The husband demanded I cease and desist. LOL

Yeah, I knew it was bad for me. I like to do that kind of like to do bad things on occasion. I wouldn't repeat the experiment but sometimes I like to be sure my body can still handle the occasional "bad" thing.

There are some GREAT etoh flavors out there though! I have many!

Anna

Reactions: AttyPops

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Plenty of ways to get alcoholic flavors without distilling your own. A 15mL bottle of bourbon flavor can be had for the same price as your airline bottle of booze, and I'd bet has more flavor in it to boot.
I know that... you guys seemed to miss my point. If I'm using water to thin VG, why not also get a little flavor too? If the "booze" flavor was an important part of a recipe, I would use flavor concentrates.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread