Speeder on sale. Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
Still new and learning but thinking the first thing to learn is to not look at my local shops newsletters every week. I was planning on getting another spare tank next but saw they have the Aspire Speeder on sale for $30 so think that sounds like a good deal. I have a spare mod but I don't think it will hold a 24 mm tank. The 22 fit perfectly and I don't know about adapters or whatever so...... I do have 2 batteries that are almost brand new so I think this is an option. If it matters I'm strictly low wattage MTL so I expect this to last me at least a couple days between battery charging. It also doesn't make sense to me why I don't like my other spare mod. I have it on the same setting as my Zenith and the Zenith just works better. Why on earth would they work differently on the same settings? I'm hoping I like the Speeder (or another affordable recommendation) better, preferably one that takes external batteries.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've coveted the Speeder for a while. It should work with the tank you have. I don't know why I don't own a speeder, the timing never seemed right. I will say those that have it, like it for many of the same reasons as the Invoke: reliable, not too heavy, and as a dual battery mod you'd get great battery life and handfeel is good.

I own an Invoke and it's one of my favorite mods. It really delivers, and despite it being so light, the construction is excellent. I've dropped mine a few times, and nothing bad happened, etc. It's actually one of my favorite mods, for many of the reasons you listed.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice. Best of luck :) And yes, most MTL tanks will fit on dual battery mods. Some mods have a 'lower limit" of say 7 or 10 watts, so as long as you aren't going with one of those (it should tell you, in the manufacturer's specs) or you vape over 10 watts, say, then any of the two battery mods should work, and for the ones you are looking at, there should be no overhang. But almost all mods and tanks are interchangeable these days, and use a 510 connection, so unless you have an AOI (all in one) system you should be fine.

Good luck deciding!

Anna

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
I decided to go with the Invoke. I think the $30 for the Speeder is the better deal but I also think I'd leave it at home much more and the purpose of wanting a good longevity battery life is so I don't have to worry about low battery when I leave the house. It's coming up summer time and all day music festivals so something to last all day without worry will be needed and the Invokes size is much more ideal for throwing in a pocket without feeling way too bulky. I guess we'll see if I made the right decision. It has to be better than my current single-battery mod that will be thrown in a drawer.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
My mod is 24mm wide and my "pad" is 22mm. I use 24mm toppers. Isn't really noticeable with the mod being 24mm. That is 1mm on each side....(meh)

btw, there are many quality differences between mods. Technically, power accuracy is a biggy. Also, just how it feels in the hand. I can spin mine 3-4 times, drop the sign outside the saloon, and slide it back in to the holster, no problemo!

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
I really need to remember to rate y'alls threads. I'm so bad at remembering that.

Yes Anna, I do try to remember to lock or turn off when I pocket it because I'm paranoid of something happening in my pocket. Lol

My mod is 24mm wide and my "pad" is 22mm. I use 24mm toppers. Isn't really noticeable with the mod being 24mm. That is 1mm on each side....(meh)

btw, there are many quality differences between mods. Technically, power accuracy is a biggy. Also, just how it feels in the hand. I can spin mine 3-4 times, drop the sign outside the saloon, and slide it back in to the holster, no problemo!

My other one feels okay in my hand and easy to use, but I don't like that it shuts off after inactivity and I have to turn it on after just sitting on my desk; it takes a while to fire; and for some reason even on the same settings, putting the same tank on just has a much different experience. Maybe it is inaccurate and not firing it correctly. I thought it was just my tank but I tried the Zenith on it after using it on the Kroma and it is like night and day.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I have no idea about a Zenith mod. I had a Zenith TV once, though.

Anyway, taking a while to fire?, you mean heat up or start to "crackle"? There is a watt difference between not getting a vape (to low) and burning the wick (to high). Is your power setting a little on the low side?

Because the industry is not well regulated, other than consumers talking to each other, we have to keep reading and asking questions. Head to the APV sub-forum and snoop around for your next future purchase. My first few mods were not the better makes. Don't ask a vape shop person, they want to sell and they are hired at minimum wages. Ask around here.

Good luck!

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
I have no idea about a Zenith mod. I had a Zenith TV once, though.

Anyway, taking a while to fire?, you mean heat up or start to "crackle"? There is a watt difference between not getting a vape (to low) and burning the wick (to high). Is your power setting a little on the low side?

Because the industry is not well regulated, other than consumers talking to each other, we have to keep reading and asking questions. Head to the APV sub-forum and snoop around for your next future purchase. My first few mods were not the better makes. Don't ask a vape shop person, they want to sell and they are hired at minimum wages. Ask around here.

Good luck!

I did try it at the same wattage as the Kroma, but usually kept it 1.5 W higher, at 12 rather than 10.5 on my Kroma. It was uber cheap because I didn't even know if I would be able to vape so wasn't willing to put money towards something I wasn't able to use. It is a Yakuza box I bought for super cheap so not a loss in $. I also had the Nautilus 2 tank and ended up selling it because I hated it. Too tight for me and no matter how hard I tried I always flooded it. User error I'm pretty sure. Lol

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I had Nautilus tanks way back when. Yes, there are some easier ones. Look in the clearomizer sub-forum for comments. I am trying to think of a...hang-on...Uwell Crown V1 tank. Kinda old, I had one and passed it to a good friend as a gift, but others also like them here.

The Zenith, it just occurred to me that you may be referring to the Innokin Zenith tank?? Yes, it is new. No idea on it.

As to tanks and using them, I tend to work with only 1-3 at a time because I lose track of how to build it according to its design. I keep 6 tanks running with different flavors so I have a flavor to match my mood...many people here use more than one tank at a time.

Anyway, the power issue is in the "mod" itself. The Zenith, if I am correct, is the "topper" that is just being a PITA. Just thinking...lubing the rubber seals with a dot of juice will help with juice seepage (sweating). Most toppers don't like being swung around a lot. Juice kinda goes in the wrong places.

Anyway...read and don't give up. When I switched, I decided to spend the same on vaping as smoking so long as I was not smoking. It may take a couple of months.

Good luck!

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
It is a great deal on the speeder but the speeder is certainly larger than the invoke, I'm guessing. I still can't believe I don't own one but I just don't need yet another mod at the moment. Want? Certainly, but I want everything it sometimes seems. LOL.

Anna
I admire your ability to pass on a new mod. Can’t say the same for myself. Saw the $30 Speeder at MFS on Friday; have one in my hands today. They do ship fast!

Got the gold/white model. Have had it for all of an hour so I can’t really say much about it other than it feels very solid, nice clear screen, fairly easy to navigate menu, and has been working like a champ in TC.

• Winner

hat.jr

Sep 26, 2017
It is a great deal on the speeder but the speeder is certainly larger than the invoke, I'm guessing. I still can't believe I don't own one but I just don't need yet another mod at the moment. Want? Certainly, but I want everything it sometimes seems. LOL.

Anna
Well, Anna,

it sounds like you want someone to play the part of the devil and lead you into temptation - so I'll volunteer.

I like the Invoke, but my Speeder looks and feels nicer to me. It feels and looks like a more expensive piece of gear. It will handle heavy duty low resistance coils - single and dual - in temp control mode without jumping out to power mode like the Invoke does. The Speeder also has the programmable Custom Power Settings which I've played with but haven't found a regular use for. The battery door stays shut better on my Speeder than on my Invoke.

So, while I wouldn't suggest you take food out of your child's mouth or miss a mortgage payment to buy the Speeder, for $30 it's a really good buy for a really good mod. I don't think you'll regret it, and I doubt you'll see it at lower price before it goes out of production.

And surely your husband tells you that the woman who wants everything should have everything!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well that was an excellent exposition and exactly what I'd expect from the Speeder, it gets rave reviews. It's a great price and all too, I just really don't need another mod. For whatever reason, that one escaped my grasp in my mod buying frenzies. I really just need a couple liters of nic and I actually just well, sold a couple mods recently (heresy I know).

Oh man, I'm so glad the husband doesn't tell me that, as if I indulged my every whim my collection would be great until we were homeless.... LOL, and my collection is indeed great already. It's harder to resist those "fabulous" deals, and it is one, but also easier to resist once one HAS a great collection, I am genuinely happy with most everything I still own.

The great "sprees" of purchasing were fun, I don't regret them (mainly because they helped me keep my mind off smoking, but I have decided to become a "judicious" collector, and I don't think I need any more mods for like, the rest of my life. LOL.

I'll be indulging some wants, I'm sure, but the Speeder isn't really it, just now. :)

Anna

AlleyKat

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Seattle, WA
A vape shop owner friend gave me a Speeder to "troubleshoot/play with" recently because it suddenly started to fire/act like button was being pressed while standing upright on the countertop. I'm an Aspire fan, using mainly their tanks, so not discouraging you from getting this product....just a friendly warning about this unusual occurrance. *I have not yet had a chance to open it up & investigate possible cause(s) for the unattended mod firing itself.

• Useful

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
20180421_165841.jpg 20180421_164633.jpg
Lol, MFS is actually my local shop so makes it hard to pass up putting in an order to pick up in a couple hours. I just got my invoke in and i'm happy with it. It's barely bigger than the Kroma A so easy to fit in my child sized hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread