Spent a ton of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been vaping for a month now, I smoked a pack of cigs a day. I purchased Green Smoke with pre filled cartridges (menthol) as my first e-cig. I really like them but they are pricey. I came upon this forum and started reading everything. Great info! I was getting overwhelmed with all of the info and different e-cigs out there. I felt I must be missing something as no one really recommended prefilled carts. So I ordered the halo g6 and I didn't care for it. Too hard of a pull and I didn't like the flavors. Now I have a v2 on the way with various accessories. I have spent hundreds. I really like GreenSmoke but I wonder if I'm not getting the best e-cig experience. If I decide to upgrade would I be looking for a better battery, more vapor? I really would like to quit smoking completely. Also I still have cravings. I purchased the 18nic if I go to 24 nic do I just vape less? I usually vape 2 carts a day of 18nic. Thanks for any advice.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Welcome to the forums CG...

First, I'd suggest that you consider avoiding buying "vendor branded" products... they are usually common products that you pay a premium for... these vendors love n00bs because you don't know anything, and they sell everything in a convenient "kit". Most folks tend to move away from the cig-a-likes pretty quick because they have such limitations.

I'd suggest a few eGo batteries from 350 to 1300 mAh (milli Amp hour) so you have a option on length... then some Kanger EVODs or Innokin iTaste 16s. The latter are both types of "clearomizers" (bottom and top coil - respectively) that can be refilled over and over, and you can replace the coil/wick head assemblies when they wear out. They aren't what I use anymore, but they worked nicely for quite awhile.
I (or someone else here) would be happy to direct you to both good equipment and a good deal.

As to juice, start out with a higher strength... 36 or 24 mg/ml. You can vape less if you get symptoms of nicotine poisoning, or you can get weaker juice and thin what you have. Most start out strong, then reduce the nicotine content as they figure out their "vaping profile". You will too, once you get good entry level equipment. I started with 36, but vaping 10-13ml a day, I use 12mg/ml or less.

More on juice. A good place to buy juice, as your tastes develop, is Mount Baker Vapor. Only $5 for a 15ml bottle, and just a few bucks more to double that quantity. Good juice... cheap. :)

Last edited:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Welcome Crazy Girl! Yeah another lady from MA!!!

State o' Flux gave you some good advice for a device to consider. Along with a good device, finding a good juice is the next big challenge. Along with not liking the draw on the Halo, you said you didn't like the flavors. A big advantage of not buying prefilled cartridges is that you can find flavors you like at the nicotine level you need. It takes some experimentation. Mount Baker Vapor is a good place to start (and if you check the Coupons link at the top of the page, I think there's a discount too). Other vendors also offer sample sizes so you don't end up with a 10ml bottle you don't like. They may cost more per ml but that's the trade off. I've found some I really liked much to my surprise and others that did not suit me at all. FYI - I started with Blu, bought a setup with a clearomizer and am very happy (although I may buy some more accessories!). I'm over a month smoke free. You can do it too. Happy vaping!

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
Welcome! You will spend a ton of money trying different things. In the end though it will be no more than on cigs and most likely a whole lot less but it does require a bit of trial and error both with hardware and juice. The link Txaggiesaunt pasted is a good one and I'd recommend a a Kanger Protank or Kanger Mini Protank as one of the choices. I'd also order a vivi nova as well from the site.

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
From a new member myself, welcome!

I too started out with prefilled carts and a 510 automatic battery. Sh** was stupid. Went back to the stinkies the very next day.

Picked up a vision spinner and a T2 and some pink spot's USA blend 18mg for the first time and never looked back. I smoked a pack of Marlboro Reds a day for 2 years and was able to be ciggy free in about a week. I still get cravings, and cigarettes still smell good to me, but when I actually try one now it tastes like ..... I've only been vaping a month and I moved down to 12mg, although I'm starting to think I should move back up to 18 because I still get REALLY strong cravings sometimes. Perhaps I moved too fast.

I'm starting to delve into rebuildable heads too. as soon as I get my wire and wick in the mail I will be rebuilding all of my Kanger T3s's to suit my needs. I heard the flavor is amazingly better with self-built heads.

Good luck and have fun

STLBluesNut

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
st peters mo
Not sure where you, but here vape shops are opening up all over and tend to have all of their juices out to sample. I would recommend finding a shop near you to find a juice you like. Keep in mind that brick and mortar stores are usually more expensive. Some a little, some a lot. However, there is no shipping and you'll leave knowing you got something you like. Many people spend quite a bit to find juices they like by playing the internet juice slots. I did, there werent brick and mortars here over 2 years ago when I started.

Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

grayscale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2013
DFW
I understand your quandary. I started on the GreenSmoke too. I actually still like them. Their tobacco flavors are still the most satisfying I've had yet. I wish they would bottle it. That being said, the only piece of GreenSmoke gear I liked was my usb passthrus, they vaped far better than the batts.
The best thing about moving on so far is that tank style setups, even cheap ones, produce a lot more vapor than their prefilled cartos. Heck, I even refilled those cartos with other juice and got more vapor. The other nice thing about moving up is that the throat hit is much better, and can be controlled by either the juice or gear or both. If I find a juice I'm using doesn't have the kick I like, i just crank up the volts a bit.
I do also understand the interest/like for the cigalikes. I really liked to have an analog hanging out of the mouth while I was doing various things before, but battery weight has made that very difficult, and is damn near impossible with something other than a cigalike.
BTW - I started with 36mg nic and just stepped down to 28mg. Higher nic doesn't seem to help lessen the frequency. That part seems to depend on how bad your hand-mouth fetish is.

Last edited:

Duke23

Aug 3, 2013
SC, USA
Don't feel bad, I wasted a lot of money starting out too. A couple years ago I started trying various cigalikes thinking that was the answer to my desire to quit smoking, but none of the affordable ones really hit the spot and I might as well have just bought an expensive one to start with, to find out that the cigalikes weren't for me. Not knocking them, I know a guy who uses them religiously every day with no desire to try something else.

Then a few months ago I broke down and bought two regular 650mah Ego batteries with CE4 clearomizers which I've since put away for good but that was still a BIG step up from anything else I'd tried. Personally I'm fond of the bottom coil Kanger T3 and ProTank Mini. The Protanks can be a bit pricey compared to others but I don't regret spending the extra money on it.

Happy vaping :)

Last edited:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Some like the cig-a-likes, myself also, but I prefer a better battery and changeable/rebuild-able atomizer. Mostly I use EGO's, I have an iTaste VV V3.0, an 18650 mod (seldom use, too big), Lots of box mods, and EVOD's, (a few CE4 rebuild-able's), and rebuild-able drip tips. It's all about what you feel good using. I have spent over $800 since the first part of Sept when I started back, but from Jan to Sept I spent $2600 on stinkies, I am ahead both in Money and health.

Vape On
:vapor:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I don't mind spending the money(spent a small fortune on cigs) I am just overwhelmed with all the choices. I just want to get it right. I think I need to find the right device and then experiment with different juices. I got some great suggestions from everyone.

I find Juice is harder than the equipment. Equipment is a battery and Atomizer of some kind, they all work to certain extent, some better than others. Now liquid is a different story, because what is good to one person, sucks to another. 1/3 of what I have spent is on trying juice from different venders, then I figured out DIY was less, but getting good extract is the problem, what one likes another dies not. Good Luck on your Journey.

Vape On
:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread