Spilled liquid? and now burning hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

ua54862

Jun 13, 2018
Ordered a bottle from an online store that you should be able to handle by hand, no precautions or gloves really necessary, 48mg/mL salt liquid. I have a juul, which is 59mg/ml, and I've gotten the liquid on my hands before, with no real problems. I opened up the box and grabbed the bottle, and there was a film on it. My hands immediately started burning. In an hour my fingertips went numb and started tingling, and after a couple hours I just started feeling off and slightly nauseous for a couple hours. Still feel slightly off several hours after that. I set the bottle down early on and laid down a few feet away, my face started burning slightly like it was giving off some sort of vapor. I washed my hand off for about 20 minutes and put the bottle in 2 sealed bags. I confirmed that 48mg/mL shouldn't make your hands burn by having someone else put a drop of a different 45 mg/mL salt liquid on their hand and rubbing it in, and then letting it sit for a few minutes, and it didn't burn at all. That agrees with my experience with 59 mg/mL juul liquid coming out and getting in my mouth, it only burned very slightly, sometimes, and it didn't last very long. I'm suspecting this was a high strength nicotine (the film on the outside). Anybody have any idea about this, what concentration would do that?

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
If you mean this was ready to vape eliquid, this is very odd and shouldn’t happen. As Opinionated suggested, perhaps an allergy. If this is a 48mg salt nicotine solution, that might make sense. How one reacts to any mg liquid nicotine depends on the amount they’re accustomed to being exposed to. It bothers me how often I hear of people not being more careful with nicotine. I know this wasn’t your case as you couldn’t help the leakage initially. I know a guy who spilled 100mg liquid nicotine all down his arm which ended up in a 2 night hospital stay. (This involved a wild cat being chased by a stray dog. As his son opened the back door, their cat (followed by the dog) ran in to get away from the dog. At this time he was holding his opened nic up to the light looking at it for whatever reason. The cat ran up him, nails and all. He was afraid the nic would spill on the cat and kill it. So in trying to keep it up, he spilled it all over himself.) Sounds crazy because it is! I know many people think 48 & 100mg is nothing to be concerned with but it can be more damaging than we know. Granted, anything could happen and if he were wearing gloves they wouldn’t have helped much. But if he were also wearing sleeves, his skin might not have soaked in as much had he ripped them off immediately. I would’ve done several things differently than he was atm but thats not the point. I shared this with someone at a vape shop right after it happened and was told they didn’t know if they believed it because it just sounds too far fetched. So I know a lot of people really don’t realise the dangers of 100mg. For a child not used to nicotine, only 10ml could be fatal. It could very well be that you suffered a mild nicotine overdose. I suggest talking to the vender in which you purchased. I know the consensus on here with medical questions / issues is recommend OP to see / talk to their physician. Though I’d be surprised if they knew much about nicotine exposure. Sure, they know some. But I feel I know more as I have experience with and have studied it specifically. Of course, should you have further symptoms, I’d highly recommend seeing your doctor. Hope I didn’t ramble too much and this helps you at least some!

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I saw a video last night where Wayne Walker was adding 250mg salts with a pipette without gloves or a mask. Said they weren't necessary for him. IDK.

I guess they gotta sell more than 100mg bottles if people are going to be mixing 50mg for pods?

This is getting crazy like the mech mod dayz. Back then they were blowing up mods, now, are we going to be poisoning ourselves with accidents?

Freakin supplier's don't care. How many batteries were sold w/o a 1/2cent case to store it in??

Pffffffffft

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Freakin supplier's don't care. How many batteries were sold w/o a 1/2cent case to store it in??

I've bought multiple batteries AND bought a plastic case and all have come loose in a padded envelope.
    At least lately the batteries have been coming in cardboard boxes.

ua54862

Jun 13, 2018
    Sounds like pure nicotine.
    This is my big concern, that they mixed it wrong and it was in the same room as a pure solution or something.
    It's quite possible that your allergic to something in that eliquid.. could be a flavor in there you have a definite allergy to..

Good to call the vendor you bought it from and discuss having them replace the bad with something else.
    Thought about that too but it's unflavored. It's a different salt solution than I'm used to but I'm pretty sure all the acids are from fruits, so I should have noticed it by now eating fruits.

Also, I got it from a DIY supplier. Another thing I was thinking about was, if they mixed it right in the bottle it could be the acids in the salts. It's fruit acid, but it's concentrated.

Thanks everyone for the answers, I think I'm going to talk to the company I got it from and see if I can figure out what's up with it.

Oh, and has anyone ever gotten a drop of 100mg/mL on their hand or something? I'm wondering if it burns

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    If you mean this was ready to vape eliquid, this is very odd and shouldn’t happen. As Opinionated suggested, perhaps an allergy. If this is a 48mg salt nicotine solution, that might make sense. How one reacts to any mg liquid nicotine depends on the amount they’re accustomed to being exposed to. It bothers me how often I hear of people not being more careful with nicotine. I know this wasn’t your case as you couldn’t help the leakage initially. I know a guy who spilled 100mg liquid nicotine all down his arm which ended up in a 2 night hospital stay. (This involved a wild cat being chased by a stray dog. As his son opened the back door, their cat (followed by the dog) ran in to get away from the dog. At this time he was holding his opened nic up to the light looking at it for whatever reason. The cat ran up him, nails and all. He was afraid the nic would spill on the cat and kill it. So in trying to keep it up, he spilled it all over himself.) Sounds crazy because it is! I know many people think 48 & 100mg is nothing to be concerned with but it can be more damaging than we know. Granted, anything could happen and if he were wearing gloves they wouldn’t have helped much. But if he were also wearing sleeves, his skin might not have soaked in as much had he ripped them off immediately. I would’ve done several things differently than he was atm but thats not the point. I shared this with someone at a vape shop right after it happened and was told they didn’t know if they believed it because it just sounds too far fetched. So I know a lot of people really don’t realise the dangers of 100mg. For a child not used to nicotine, only 10ml could be fatal. It could very well be that you suffered a mild nicotine overdose. I suggest talking to the vender in which you purchased. I know the consensus on here with medical questions / issues is recommend OP to see / talk to their physician. Though I’d be surprised if they knew much about nicotine exposure. Sure, they know some. But I feel I know more as I have experience with and have studied it specifically. Of course, should you have further symptoms, I’d highly recommend seeing your doctor. Hope I didn’t ramble too much and this helps you at least some!

I diy with 100 mg/ml nic, but I live alone. No littles to get into my nic. My dogs get locked up and my front door is locked - my family tends to knock and walk right in.

I would not recommend having nic in the house at all if you have kids. Sorry, just not worth the danger.

Hopefully, your sharing your friend’s story will cause others to be more cautious.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    I diy with 100 mg/ml nic, but I live alone. No littles to get into my nic. My dogs get locked up and my front door is locked - my family tends to knock and walk right in.

I would not recommend having nic in the house at all if you have kids. Sorry, just not worth the danger.

Hopefully, your sharing your friend’s story will cause others to be more cautious.
    I certainly hope so! As I said, I would’ve done things differently than he was atm but that wasn’t the point. The point is, unexpected things can happen. No one ever thinks it’ll happen to them. Btw, his son is 15 yrs old. I agree with you though, extra precautions should be taken when mixers have younger children. Though I don’t think a person of sound mind shouldn’t be able to DIY due to having children unless they don’t have the wherewithal to not be negligent. I would never DIY with my granbabies over unless they were napping etc.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I certainly hope so! As I said, I would’ve done things differently than he was atm but that wasn’t the point. The point is, unexpected things can happen. No one ever thinks it’ll happen to them. Btw, his son is 15 yrs old. I agree with you though, extra precautions should be taken when mixers have younger children. Though I don’t think a person of sound mind shouldn’t be able to DIY due to having children unless they don’t have the wherewithal to not be negligent. I would never DIY with my granbabies over unless they were napping etc.
    Well, you have to know your kids. Mine? Uh, no! Lol. They were rascals! I could have locked my nic in a bank vault and I still would have worried.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Well, you have to know your kids. Mine? Uh, no! Lol. They were rascals! I could have locked my nic in a bank vault and I still would have worried.
    I keep my flavors and nicotine locked up just in case my 15 yr old DS or his friends get any ideas. He’s a great kid but he’s 15 and boys will be boys!:lol:

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 14, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    Oh, and has anyone ever gotten a drop of 100mg/mL on their hand or something? I'm wondering if it burns
    Yes, a very small amount but I wiped it off quickly and then washed with soap immediately without incidence. No burning, tingling, redness or anything. I cleaned it off very quickly before it had time to react and it was such a small amount.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Nope... not any worse than bleach or bathroom cleaner or carburetor cleaner.

Pro Tip: Gloves!

Cheers
    I

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Thanks everyone for the answers, I think I'm going to talk to the company I got it from and see if I can figure out what's up with it.

I've spilled 100mg all over my hands to the point of practically bathing in it and no, it doesn't burn.

If it was "pure nicotine" that you spilled on your hand you'd be dead or at the very least hospitalized so no, it was definitely not pure nicotine in that bottle.

I stand by my thinking that there is something your allergic to in the way that company processes.

I do hope you return the product to the vendor and get your money back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread