The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Spit back and leaking on Zeus Dual

Discussion in 'RTA' started by PatVapes, Dec 18, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    So it seems that the vape gods won’t give me a break :)

I bought my Zeus dual last night and I was really happy! Everything was going well and I just turned it off while the tank was half full and went to bed.

So I just woke up, excited to try it out, and first thing I notice is that it’s leaking on the bottom. Then I vape it, and I get A LOT of spit back. Also, not a lot of vapor coming out.

Why can’t I be happy with a tank? What am i doing wrong?

:tumble:

2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Spitback will occur if there is too much juice in the coil chamber, usually a result of not enough wicking in the channels. But leaking from the bottom? That's weird as it's a top air RTA. That sounds like an improper seal as in one of the o rings is messed up, either not properly seated or bent or torn or something. The loss of seal could also cause the flooding too. Have you taken the base off to examine whether or not everything is in place? Maybe post some pics so we can see what's up?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bask

bask Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    You didn't by any chance end up thinning out your 80/20 liquid with water, right?
    Or were you still on that lemon juice that you got, but didn't like?
    Water has a lower boiling point than PG and VG, so that would logically also be a cause.
    And it's also when the wick isn't totally pressed against the coil well that spitback can occur more easilly.
    And, yes, like Eskie said, top airflow rta leaking at the bottom is highly unusual and shouldn't have anything to do with wicking, just with o-rings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    @Eskie i just removed the top thingy and juice was all over. I cleaned it and spit back has stopped... at least for now

@bask i didnt thin the juice cause I didn’t have distilled water!

I cleaned the bottom part with some toilet paper to check if I just got a weird feeling but it’s definitely leaking. Or was at least

• Like Like x 2
  5. bask

Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    It might still need a rewick, so keep an eye on how it performs.
    If it oversaturates and or leaks again rewick. If after rewicking it doesn't oversaturate anymore, but still leaks, try replacing an o-ring (I take it it comes with spares).

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    It seems to all be fine now!

Also, is it normal if my mod gets kind of hot after 4 or 5 hits? I’m running it on 55w

7. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Spitback is annoying but doesn't concern me. It's whether you're getting leaking from the bottom, likely around the o ring between the glass and the bottom deck part. One us just a matter of needing a bit more cotton to fill the juice wells. The other requires really checking out that everything in properly in place. O rings can sometimes slip out of their little channels, then when you screw it back together a little bit gets linked and squished preventing the seal from forming. I guess just keep an eye on it for now.

Not an insurmountable problem, but a definite pesky annoyance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Depending on the build, yes. Dual coil builds will get warmer if chain vaping several hits in a row. What kind of coils are they, and what is the total resistance of the build?

• Like Like x 1
  9. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    I’m not sure what coils he used. There was a guy at the store that kept talking to me and the vape shop guy so I forgot :( I only know that my screen reads 0.12

So far there isn’t any more spitback or leaking. So I’m happy. The only problem is that that damn lime e-liquid he used is still there even though I filled with a lemon bar Juice. So now it tastes kind of sweet but on exhale it’s pure detergent

• Like Like x 1
  10. raqball

raqball Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    You have to start leaning at some point so now is the time... Rewick it with some fresh cotton and vape away...

Since you are new to the tank and the build getting the right amount of cotton will be key. If after wicking it you get gurgling or flooding then you don't have enough cotton. If you get dry hits then maybe the cotton is to thick. Another concern when using too much cotton is it might create another problem. When stuffing the coil you might end up moving the coil wire and hot spots come into play....

Wick it again, vape, adjust if needed. It's going to be a process until you get it down. Once you hit the sweet spot for that tank then you'll know exactly how much cotton to use the next time. Getting there might be a bit discouraging though so just keep at it. You might need to rewick it 10 times the 1st day trying to get it dialed in....

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Stupid question, but it has to be asked, was your mod standing up all night, not laying down? I trick you can use if you get spit back right after filling is to make sure the air holes are facing to the sides away from your face and blow into the tank once or twice, that always worked for me with RTA'S.

12. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Less so with top air RTAs. You'd have to flip it upside down. But if you did that the juice would just pour from the chamber into your mouth. Really bad if you haven't at least had your morning coffee yet.

If you were distracted and didn't see how it was wicked just watch a few YT videos on how to wick the Zeus. They'll either be standalone or part of a review and wicking tutorial. They're really helpful whenever you get a new tank that feels unfamiliar. The coils are probably some sort of fused Claptons to come in with a resistance that low. Perfectly fine to use on your regulated mod, and it is possible to get a very good vape from them around the wattage you're using.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    It makes me anxious when my vape isn’t standing. I even have a hard time tilting it because i want it to be perfect lol. So yes, i left it standing when I went to bed.

I’ve watched a bunch of tutorials and I know that eeeeeveryone who has reviewed it says that the cotton should not be too long or too thick.

I’m gonna finish this really nasty juice and I’ll rewick. Hopefully I won’t fail miserably

• Like Like x 2
  14. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    It always worked for me on top air flow rta's, both the Zeus and Juggernaut mini. I could get the spitback from pressure changes flooding the coil to go away immediately by blowing in the tank hard.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. raqball

raqball Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    You might.. You might fail 10 times trying to get it right.. Once you nail it remember what you did and do it exactly the same the next time.. Once you get it dialed in, smooth sailing after that --> for that tank! Get a different tank, back at learning what that tank wants again...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. PatVapes

PatVapes Super Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Lima, Peru
    I’m used to getting things right on my first try :cool: except dating :rickroll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  17. bask

Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    Today I’ve learned: coiling and wicking are like dating.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Eskie

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Don't feel bad. I've got three ex wives so I beat you on the dating issue.

Wicking really isn't bad. If you watched the videos you'll probably be fine the first or second time. It's a but more dicey with bottom air RTAs as not enough cotton inserted just right into the juice flow channels and you've got leaking from the air slots. A major mess and annoyance. Especially if your mod gets all covered with it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Dating and vaping have a lot in common. In the beginning you have no bar set to compare with, then you raise your standards and expectations ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. bask

Dec 17, 2012
    The Euroneous Zone
    And discover it’s the perfect setup for disappointment.

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.