Status
Not open for further replies.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
So I've been fiddling with .999 sterling silver 30 awg and my kanthal wires (A-1 32 awg, A 30 awg) and while I've gotten them to stay spliced together pretty sturdy, I can't help but think there is a simpler more effective method.

Does anybody know of a picture tutorial/youtube video? I searched google for awhile last night and came up blank on something really showing a technique.

Best I've done so far is create a very small loop in one of the wires, string the other through it and bend it shut so nothing falls out (big peeve apparently). Then I'll take my needle nose pliers and hold the center of the junction while twisting one wire around itself, moving over to the next once its tight. Seems to hold well but started out very bulky with the first attempt. Even though I've gotten it down tighter I'm still not that stoked about it.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
just bought a mini vivi for a twist, kind of like it. have not needed to replace head yet. i did by some extras, but when they go i think i will do the coils like you, much cheaper. but my regular set-up is my provari with a few gennys. i do own the aga-t and 2 real DIDS. with those you dont need to splice, no need for the silver, just the kanthal. but getting back to the vivi, i just seen a video on replacing the coils and they just used kanthal, no silver at all. that would seem to be really hard to use both resistance and no resistance wires for that build.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
I saw mine was heating up quickest towards the rubber/silicon grommet in the bottom and i believe the original recoiling tutorial of the VVN he suggested it.

I ran em without for a few days and ordered the silver, then a few more days waiting for it to arrive. Nothing bad but I did notice some marks on the grommets and wanted to avoid it.

Its not that bad now that I got a strong easy splice down :D you only have to do the positive leg from my experience (and believe that was mentioned in the tutorial too).

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Had three attempts at one head last night

:facepalm:

Then the silver & kanthal came undone (as did I).

I made a 1.3Ω right before though so I just banged that in there. Plus my newest #500 wick was giving me problems. So bamboo instead.

Really liking bamboo. It managed to surpass SS for me currently (but the longevity of SS mesh is ultimately appealing).

Fingers crossed my A7s get here today...haha. Working with the tiny space provided by the VVN heads is driving me batty.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Here is how I do the coils for a Nova ( as I learned on ECF), I then roll thin foil on the end of the wick like the end of a shoe string and feed it through the coil. Sand down the tooth pick to achieve your wick size. I have no problems with hot legs with this. For a good tutorial on attaching NR to R wire look at Scott Bonners review of the Oddy. ViVi coil 001.jpg ViVi coil 002.jpg ViVi coil 003.jpg

Scott's review: splice starts at about 10min 30 sec, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kZVFOA-X7c

This is how I do both procedures
I'm simply twisting the resistor wire for the nova as NR would just complicate things

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread