Spring sprang away -- where can I find a replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
About 6 weeks ago, my SS GGTS button started unscrewing itself. Finally, yesterday, I lost the spring, after keeping or finding it a dozen times.

CoV is out of the Type 2 springs and I can't find the magnetic button mod (which I really want). Will the Type 1 spring work? When will there be more magnetic button mods? Is there a spring I can get at a hardware or electronic parts store that will work? Sorry to sound so desperate, but I can't use my GG until I get a new spring! :cry:

ETA: Never mind, I'm blind. I found it. Panic subsiding. However, if anyone knows why the button started unscrewing itself, and whether there's a trick to preventing that (other than screwing it on really tight) I'd appreciate the tip.

Last edited:

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
By unscrewing itself, are you referring to out of the tube itself or the actual button assemlby unscrewing?

If it is unscrewing from the tube, here is a video Imeo made on how to tighten it in the tube. It's in the instructional video thread in the top secttion: Button tightening

If you are referring to the actual button assembly coming unscrewed, take a 10mm socket and a 5mm socket. The 10mm fitsd the head of the button exactly just as the 5mm fits the bottom contact point exactly. Without using a wrench as this can actually create enough torque to snap the contact pin, tighten as well as you can using your fingers or a screw driver blade in the bottom of the respective sockets for grip.

And if I have missed any other way for it to come loose, let me know and we'll figure it out together! Oh and the magnet kit is currently unavailable as the supplier Imeo used for so long has vanished. Until he locates another source, there are a couple fo guys here on the forum that have found substitutes to use until the proper size can be sourced again by Imeo.

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
I maybe wrong here but I'm sure imeo said the magnets would not fit the newer type buttons

Only the ones just manufactured. Possibly the last Stealths as well. Jaka referred to "6 weeks ago" so I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that he had the original since the new style is barely out. The ones he is making now have a longer reach into the button tube under the cap to make batter contact.

Maybe it was just wishful thinking that he could find someone with the magnets for the oodles of buttons that can take them that are in existence. ;)

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
By unscrewing itself, are you referring to out of the tube itself or the actual button assemlby unscrewing?

It's just the button; that's part of what makes it kind of scary. The button itself comes out of the assembly, leaving the tube and the contact post and locking ring behind. There's then nothing to keep the spring in place, so it falls out and gets lost easily, and the contact post falls inward and hits the center post. That means it comes on whenever gravity pulls the contact post inward, so I can't leave a battery in it even when the locking ring is locking the button -- if the button comes unscrewed, the locking ring doesn't help.

I didn't think abut trying to tighten it with the bottom cap off like the video shows. I'll do that as soon as my replacement spring arrives (I meant I found it in CoV's shop, not that I found the one I lost).

But hey, this is exactly why I bought the GG -- it's all simple, once you figure out how everything works together, and user-serviceable. I love the fact that whenever I mess up, like with the button now or the UFS a while ago, it's because there's something I didn't know, and I can come here to get set straight and keep it from happening again.

I'd love to hear more about the make-do magnets. I'm excited about turning my GG into something with NO actively-moving parts (in the sense of nothing that takes wear-and-tear).

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
Only the ones just manufactured. Possibly the last Stealths as well. Jaka referred to "6 weeks ago" so I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that he had the original since the new style is barely out.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I bought my SS GGTS near the end of September, the minute CoV got some in stock. How new are the new-style buttons?

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
So another spring-related question: is the spring just there for mechanical force? I mean, is keeping the button up and providing a little resistance all it does, or is it part of the circuit? I'm SO tempted to just stuff a spring from a ball-point pen (or whatever will fit) in there to get me through the next couple of days until my replacement arrives.

Jaka

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2010
Texas
its part of the cirquit Jaka. Magnets are a part of the cirquit too:)

Ahhh, okay. I'll wait for the official replacement, then. I doubt the spring out of my ballpoint would have the right conductivity/resistance. *sigh* Another couple of days with my eGo. Poor thing's been so neglected since I got my GG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread