Square box - Square battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
This is an 1800 mAh 3.7v Fuji camera battery. The charger in the last pic charges it up to 4.2v & shuts down. The vapor cuts off around 3.2v. It lasts all day +.
I've been using this for a couple of weeks & I metered(quite a few times) the voltages before I posted. These batteries are supposed to have some sort of protection circuit in them, but I haven't been able to find the specs for it. I got the springs for the terminals from a AAA box. This battery has 3 terminals. The 2 outer ones are the + & -. The battery is writing side down because of how I wanted the wires to run.
The 'hit' seems smoother with this, but it puts out the same amount of vapor. I've been using 510 cartos & also a 510 LR atty, it works great with both.
All in all, this works pretty good. I'm happy with it. I just felt with all of these square mod boxes around, at least one should have a square battery.:)

4593773808_380fd6d88d_o.jpg

4593773590_bbefe271e5_o.jpg

4593773246_3b061f04c1_o.jpg

4593772966_6dabfc76a2_o.jpg

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Nice, I didn't realize the square batteries had enough output/drain or however you say it. I wonder what the long term life will be like. Any drawbacks that you see? No output at 3.1v?

The vapor gets real weak around 3.3v - 3.1v, so that's when I put it on the charger. No sense in taking chances. I don't know the actual current output, my multimeter only goes up to 200ma. There is a setting for 10A, but I've never got that to work correctly.

Make sure you get a charger for the battery you are using. I got one that was still charging strong at 4.2v. I found the one in the picture & it cuts off @ 4.2v, so that's the one I'm going to use. Only using up 1v or so doesn't sound like much, but this one lasts all day.

The only drawback that I can see is you can't take pictures while you're vaping.:)

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
First off, thank you all.:)

I have a few of these laying around too but wasn't sure how to wire it, can you post a wiring diagram?? Very nice looking mod, Sci! What box is that?

The box is this one. Notice that my diagram is for the battery I used(Fuji NP-120). I used a meter to figure out positive & negative. You need to make sure which is which on the battery you have.

If anyone decides to try a mod like this, I can't say enough, be careful. These are Li-ion & the normal precautions are required. Make sure to read as much as you can about the battery you choose to use & be safe. As I said, when the vapor production gets weak on this one, 3.1-3.3v, I quit using it & put it in the charger. I read somewhere that the battery I used has some sort of protection circuit. I can't find exactly what it is, so I don't chance overdischarging it. The charger protects it from overcharge. Make sure you get the charger for the battery you plan to use.

Here's a pic(different manufacturer, but same battery) showing what the terminal end looks like. On mine, the writing is on the other side.
41S%2BMF25QfL.jpg

Now, the diagram.

I wired the momentary(blue) switch before the master switch. Normally it's done the other way around. When I get the chance, the next one will be wired with the master before the momentary to see if it makes any difference.

This is not a very good drawing. Look at the 4th pic in my original post, you can see everything but the black wire.

4596782093_f07d7d2654_o.jpg

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
This is great, thanks Sci!

Your welcome. Do your battery terminals look like the pic I posted? What you can do is put the multimeter to the two outside terminals, if you get a negative voltage, swap them. If you then get a positive voltage, you know which one is which(+ or -). I've read the the center terminal puts out info to the camera about charging levels. I haven't figured out how to use that one yet, but it could be interesting.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread