Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I’ve alwaysed used Stainless Steel 326l or 430 so I could use Temp Control. Well I’ve moved away from temp control in non DNA,Yihi and Vaporesso chip mods.

That has allowed me to experiment a bit with different wires. I had a roll of single wire Ni80 which i never used. One of my recent purchases included premade NI80 coils so I get to my preferred ohms with less wraps used in ss.

I honestly can’t be happier. After trying out the premade coils I decided to build my own using NI80 24 gauge with 3mm ID and a perfect 0.5ohms. So far I’ve only made single coils but have used premade Ni80 claptons as well. I just dislike ramp up times, juice and battery consumption.

I seem like I was fiddling a lot with 28 gauge SS 316 to get my optimal ohms. Plus 28 gauge can be difficult to clean and brush without damaging the coils.

So I guess I’m a NI80 convert at least for Wattage vaping.

Does anyone have any thoughts , advice or suggestions on using Ni80 wire? Plus it looks pretty after pulsing lol!!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm another ss316l to ni80/kanthal convert. Still use 316l for TC vaping. But in all my unregulated mod attys, it's either ni80 or kanthal.

I honestly can’t be happier. After trying out the premade coils I decided to build my own using NI80 24 gauge with 3mm ID and a perfect 0.5ohms.

Just don't forget that if you are using a regulated mod, the actual ohms your build is - doesn't matter at all. If your mod is set at 35watts - it powers 0.2ohm at 35watts, 0.5ohm at 35watts and 0.9ohm at 35watts.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2017
    Boston
    I'm another ss316l to ni80/kanthal convert. Still use 316l for TC vaping. But in all my unregulated mod attys, it's either ni80 or kanthal.

Just don't forget that if you are using a regulated mod, the actual ohms your build is - doesn't matter at all. If your mod is set at 35watts - it powers 0.2ohm at 35watts, 0.5ohm at 35watts and 0.9ohm at 35watts.

Can you explain this to me a bit more? Thanks

Reactions: dwcraig1

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    It basically says that for TC angeNZ is using SS316 wire but for unregulated mods using ni80 or kanthal wire

Second paragraph states that no matter what the ohm of the coil....On a Regulated mod if you set it at 35 watts the mod will deliver 35 watts.

The unregulated mod would hit it with different wattage depending on the ohm of the coil build.

Really doesn't say anything in particular about ni80 and regulated mod.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    I think all the different alloys have their advantages and drawbacks, although SS is the least prefered by me.

If you're not allergic, Ni80 is a good all purpose wire for mechs as well as regulated devices and it is in fact my alloy of choice for mechs, because Kanthal's resistance is too high for the coils I like and 316l's way too low.
    Most of the time that is.
    My Azeroth RDA works really nice with 3 simple 24ga, 3mm ID, 7wraps 316l coils.

On regulated mods I usually go for Kanthal because of it's increased durability and longevity, but Ni80 is fine for me as well.

In the end SS has more drawbacks than advantages imo.
    As long as you don't do TC, SS wire is of no real use on a regulated device, because both Ni80 and Kanthal have way better mass to heat flux ratios, and that you can't properly dryburn SS coils is a huge disadvantage for me as well.
    Sure, you can do it, but Ka & Ni80 are way more dryburnfriendly.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Oh I thought it was some kind of weirdness with Ni80 wire that was new to me!!
    I use mostly regulated mods but have 5-6 mechs and semi regulated so I understand now what ange was warning me about.

Thanks for the replies:)

Sorry, I didn't make my post very clear :oops:

I was just making the point that with a regulated mod - you don't need to worry about resistance at all.

Whereas with unregulated mods - resistance governs your wattage.

And I prefer Ni80 over kanthal in unregulated/mech mods due to its lower resistance. Ni90 has an even lower resistance - it's about the same resistance-wise as ss316l.

One_year_on

Jan 19, 2020
    SS is good for TC. It requires a good chip in the mod however.
    I'm a kanthal user myself, however I tried my hands on SS with TC on Aegis 100. I can confidently report average performance, not perfect of course and not hideous. Problem is minor fluctuations in ohm readings, which then messes the set-up. No dry burning for SS. IDK about Ni80.

• Disagree
    Reactions: Don29palms

Don29palms

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    SS is good for TC. It requires a good chip in the mod however.
    I'm a kanthal user myself, however I tried my hands on SS with TC on Aegis 100. I can confidently report average performance, not perfect of course and not hideous. Problem is minor fluctuations in ohm readings, which then messes the set-up. No dry burning for SS. IDK about Ni80.
    Yes you can dry burn SS and you can also dry burn ni80.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread