• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

SS Mesh Wick in Vivi Nova- tips required

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
I know that there is a lot info on ECF about this topic ....
I am wondering if anyone can provide a few tips about using SS mesh in a Vivi Nova.
I have tried a couple of times with not much success.

I got nothing..... except a tip...... darksidevaper is amazing with rebuildables and taught me more than my little brain could absorb during his broadcast Saturday night. Tune in this Saturday and pick his brain on the topic. I was particularly intrigued when he discussed silica wicks wrapped with SS mesh..... Saturday, 7pm PST, cvcn[dot]ca :)

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
Depends how you define 'success' :)

For me, it means that it should at least match the performance of the standard (1.8 and 2.4 ohm) heads that came with it. But since I've had bad luck on mine, the bar's pretty low. Don't get me wrong - when they work, it's good but I'm new to all this and I only have the standard ego-c kit to compare with so take all of this with a lot of salt.

I did read through the huge thread on re-building vivi's and watched most of the videos. I've built probably close to a dozen ss wicks for the nova but only used 2. They were all working - I just wasn't satisfied enough to risk a tank full of juice. For all my experiments, I 'fake' vaped them by using half a tank of 99%, no-nic VG.

Here are some of the things I tried: (all 32 gauge wire, 316 ss - I know, 500 is the one to use)

0) did the usual oxidize mesh, quench and juice burn

1) paper clip, hollow wick - can't really tell the difference between a tightly packed one.

2) ss wick with cotton on top - didn't work too well. I think I over did it which made the draw too tight.

3) smooth bend ( u-shape, no kinks) - this one kinda worked for me. I noticed that I didn't have to do the tip and roll as much. This can be done by using the paper clip technique or just keep rolling while making a bend. (did the former)

4) in all of the trials, 'poking' the coils took the longest time. Watch out for the stems/ends of the wire where they connect to the atty head - I think mine were touching a bit and squishing the coil towards the centre helps. Sometimes I have to pause and let my batt/mod cool down a bit because everything was getting hot (sure sign of a short?). Eventually, I always got them to glow pretty evenly.

5) doubling the legs to lower resistance - tried it once but putting back the grommets and plug was harder. I didn't notice any burn marks so I think I don't need to do it. Didn't try non resistant wire.

6) break in - needed about half a tank but I used my coffee based juices on both times.

7) notch silicone cap - again, over did it on one and ended up with gurgling and leaks through the centre post. I does help even on the standard heads. I noticed that the caps were not consistent in size (fake or quality issues?). Especially on my mini nova, I can see it 'butterflying' past the ridge when I tighten down the top cap. I just trim evenly all the way around.

8) dremel/drill out atty slit - did that this weekend. Over did it again (?!?). Went too low and now I have make sure to prop up the wick horizontally so as not to touch and block the plug that has the needle-like air hole. Talk about a tight draw! This does help on my cotton wick set up.

9) trying soon - cig paper around ss wick and do burn. Supposed to help create an insulating layer. Also want to try the hybrid cotton-in-the-middle wick.

All this and in the end, I'm using cotton yarn daily for my regular tank and a mini with the factory head for back up. It just works for me but I think there is something better. I enjoy all of this and even though I wish it would just work, I see it as practice for the time I get a genesis style atty. (I can target and hit 2.3-2.4 and 1.6-1.8 ohm coils pretty consistently)

Not much help - sorry...

Last edited:

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Tried the rolling paper idea, it worked for about 60 seconds. I thought it blew up my Vamo for crying out loud.
Thanks goodness for circuit safety protection.

Initial ohms - 5.0
after slight use - 9.0 ohms.

It does not matter what I do, for me the mesh is nothing but a royal PITA.

I like the idea of it, when it works the taste and vapor are great but this is only temporary.

For now I will stick with my cotton yarn and silica wick combo.

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
5 - 9 ohms? Wow, that's crazy!

What gauge and how many wraps did you use? Haven't tried the paper yet but form what I recall, that was for guarding against shorts against the wick which you don't seem to have a problem with. (unless you've somehow used the entire head as a coil and heating everything up :) )

Yeah, I would give it a rest for now so as not to damage your vamo.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
5 - 9 ohms? Wow, that's crazy!

What gauge and how many wraps did you use? Haven't tried the paper yet but form what I recall, that was for guarding against shorts against the wick which you don't seem to have a problem with. (unless you've somehow used the entire head as a coil and heating everything up :) )

Yeah, I would give it a rest for now so as not to damage your vamo.

6 wraps 34 awg nichrome

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
6 wraps 34 awg nichrome

Wow, you're really good at wrapping. For 34 awg that seems right but have you tried 4 wraps?

With 6 wraps, maybe the coils are too wide and the ends are touching the sides of the heads?

Not sure about the wick, never measured mine. Anyways, I'm sorry I don't know enough to help. Maybe head on over to the nova thread? I'm sure the fact that you are getting 5-9 ohm would get a quick answer from the veterans.

As stated earlier, I have sort of given up on ss wicks and just doing it for practice. Maybe try one of the did clones? For $14-$24 bucks, I thought what the heck - almost the same price as a nova.

DID Genesis Style Rebuildable Atomizer
Clear Genesis DiD Clone KIT!!

Anyways, hang in there (or not) and good luck.

(I'll try to measure the resistance of my next wicks.)

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Wow, you're really good at wrapping. For 34 awg that seems right but have you tried 4 wraps?

With 6 wraps, maybe the coils are too wide and the ends are touching the sides of the heads?

Not sure about the wick, never measured mine. Anyways, I'm sorry I don't know enough to help. Maybe head on over to the nova thread? I'm sure the fact that you are getting 5-9 ohm would get a quick answer from the veterans.

As stated earlier, I have sort of given up on ss wicks and just doing it for practice. Maybe try one of the did clones? For $14-$24 bucks, I thought what the heck - almost the same price as a nova.

DID Genesis Style Rebuildable Atomizer
Clear Genesis DiD Clone KIT!!

Anyways, hang in there (or not) and good luck.

(I'll try to measure the resistance of my next wicks.)

Yes sir. 6 wraps - works good with cotton but the mesh no luck. Guess I will it a try later with 3 - 4 wraps.

Maybe the Eternity isn't designed for ss mesh. I might have to get a DID clone kit.

I am pretty happy with the results I get using cotton so the mesh is another vaping hobby, if it doesn't work out no big deal.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Update: Made a ss mesh / cotton thread hybrid coil and wick today using the tips as shown in this video ....
SS Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick - YouTube

Wrapped a coil using 4 wraps of 36 awg nichrome (3.6 ohms). No burning, no shorting, no hot spots. Works pretty good.

The cotton isolates the mesh from the nichrome. Doing so does not appear to impede the wicking properties of the mesh.

So far so good.

Flavour & vapor are decent ,,, I think the flavour is better in comparison to using cotton only, vapor is about the same.

---> The hit is harsher. Maybe it is not wicking as good as it should be?

If you are a chain vaper this may not be your cup of tea.

Time will tell if the mesh will be my goto wicking method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread