ss316l in power and TC mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeonLivelong

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2015
Hi folks,
I am using ijoy Captain PD270.
Using ss316l reading .28 ohms, for the 1st time.
Can a veteran please guide me how do I go about it?
Currently vaping @ 40 w
300 C.
What connection does wattage have? I thought in TC mode you basically just increase or decrease the temp and in Wattage mode increase or decrease the watts.
Kindly advise.

VapeonLivelong

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2015
Wattage is going to be the ramp up time to the temperature that you set.
Are you having issues changing the wattage in TC mode?

Sent from the future
No. Not having issues changing wattage in TC mode.
My query is that currently I'm vaping at 30w 250c.
If I increase the temp do I need to increase the watts as well?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi folks,
I am using ijoy Captain PD270.
Using ss316l reading .28 ohms, for the 1st time.
Can a veteran please guide me how do I go about it?
Currently vaping @ 40 w
300 C.
What connection does wattage have? I thought in TC mode you basically just increase or decrease the temp and in Wattage mode increase or decrease the watts.
Kindly advise.
If you think of electricity as if it were a water hose, volts is the size of the hose, watts is how much pressure is in the hose, and amps is how big the water tank is.
So to get heat out of a coil you run electricity through it. More heat requires more watts... unless I have the two backwards. Does that help at all?

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
No. Not having issues changing wattage in TC mode.
My query is that currently I'm vaping at 30w 250c.
If I increase the temp do I need to increase the watts as well?

No. The first thing you probably need to do is... turn down the temp. :D

That 300C is about 570F, and 250C is still up around 470F.
We're normally shooting for around 420F/215C, then adjusting for preference.

Now... that 40W on a 0.28 coil in yourOP doesn't sound out of line at all, but it could be a bit underpowered depending on the style of coil or coils in the build.
In Temp Control mode, the main purpose of raising the wattage is to shorten the "ramp-up" time. A large, complex dual coil build will take an uncomfortably long time to get up to temp without enough power.
Then... TC will throttle back the power to maintain the set temp. That's what it does.

--

While typing this, you and Tonee have been posting, and nobody's mentioned the 300C elephant in the room. o_O

That's only workable if there's something not quite right with your setup.

You should be around 215 to 230 C and 40 watts or a bit more. The power is less of an issue if the mod is quick enough to keep 100W from overshooting and burning the wick. :p

Tell us...
What mod? (Has someone been playing with the TCR values?)
What atomizer?
What coil or coils (wire size, single, dual, plain wire, twisted, Clapton etc... that sort of thing)?

eta: Sorry... I see the ijoy now in the OP, looking it up.

VapeonLivelong

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2015
No. The first thing you probably need to do is... turn down the temp. :D

That 300C is about 570F, and 250C is still up around 470F.
We're normally shooting for around 420F/215C, then adjusting for preference.

Now... that 40W on a 0.28 coil in yourOP doesn't sound out of line at all, but it could be a bit underpowered depending on the style of coil or coils in the build.
In Temp Control mode, the main purpose of raising the wattage is to shorten the "ramp-up" time. A large, complex dual coil build will take an uncomfortably long time to get up to temp without enough power.
Then... TC will throttle back the power to maintain the set temp. That's what it does.

--

While typing this, you and Tonee have been posting, and nobody's mentioned the 300C elephant in the room. o_O

That's only workable if there's something not quite right with your setup.

You should be around 215 to 230 C and 40 watts or a bit more. The power is less of an issue if the mod is quick enough to keep 100W from overshooting and burning the wick. :p

Tell us...
What mod? (Has someone been playing with the TCR values?)
What atomizer?
What coil or coils (wire size, single, dual, plain wire, twisted, Clapton etc... that sort of thing)?

eta: Sorry... I see the ijoy now in the OP, looking it up.
Ok. I'd appreciate step by step guidance :(
Coil is ss316l, single build, .28ohms.
Mod is ijoy Captain pd270.
Tank is engine nano
Tcrm1 0.00092
Tcrm2 0.00100

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Ok. I'd appreciate step by step guidance :(
Coil is ss316l, single build, .28ohms.
Mod is ijoy Captain pd270.
Tank is engine nano
Tcrm1 0.00092
Tcrm2 0.00100

I'd still say... set 40W and 215C and tell us what happens.

If that's a straight single coil, 40-50 W should be more than enough. A particularly fat wire will allow more metal (lower res per length) and need more power to heat. Adjust to suit your needs.

---
The first user register's 92 is pretty standard for 316, some mods' factory programming is a bit lower, in the mid 80's, but I've personally used up to around 120 when a build is being a problem. It's not a long term solution, it usually means something isn't right with the build or the mod... but hey... I get lazy. :D
Bumping it up will trick the mod into heating the coil above actual set temp, and producing vapor when it otherwise wouldn't... but it offsets where the dry hit protection might kick in (same deal with manually setting the resistance higher than it actually is).

Use the default SS TC mode (it should be 86-92) and later compare it with those two User settings. In other words... get it working as the designer intended, then play around getting it set to suit you.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Here's how watts work in TC mode:

Say you set your temp to 215 C and your watts to 60. You press fire, and your coil is hit with 60 watts until it reaches 215 C. Then the TC kicks in and drops your wattage to whatever it needs to keep the temp at 215 C. It's not a fixed wattage as the coil would tend to heat up more over time, so the mod is constantly readjusting the watts.

The watt setting (60, in the example) is what the mod has available to work with. If you set it way too low, you won't reach your set temperature and the TC controls will never be activated. If it's just a little too low, it might take a long time for your coil to heat up. If you set it too high, you can burn your wick almost instantly before temperature control has a chance to kick in.

As @Jim_ MDP mentioned, 300 C is extremely high. I don't know if you're reaching it with those settings, but you probably wouldn't like it much if you did. You might try starting at 200 C. Vape for a bit, then turn it up to see how that goes. Your preferred temperature settings are just that - a matter of preference, so you'll have to work it out for yourself.

VapeonLivelong

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2015
I'd still say... set 40W and 215C and tell us what happens.

If that's a straight single coil, 40-50 W should be more than enough. A particularly fat wire will allow more metal (lower res per length) and need more power to heat. Adjust to suit your needs.

---
The first user register's 92 is pretty standard for 316, some mods' factory programming is a bit lower, in the mid 80's, but I've personally used up to around 120 when a build is being a problem. It's not a long term solution, it usually means something isn't right with the build or the mod... but hey... I get lazy. :D
Bumping it up will trick the mod into heating the coil above actual set temp, and producing vapor when it otherwise wouldn't... but it offsets where the dry hit protection might kick in (same deal with manually setting the resistance higher than it actually is).

Use the default SS TC mode (it should be 86-92) and later compare it with those two User settings. In other words... get it working as the designer intended, then play around getting it set to suit you.
Got a dry hit at the 40w 315C.
TCR m1 won't make a difference if I using tcSS and not TCR right?

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Got a dry hit at the 40w 315C.
TCR m1 won't make a difference if I using tcSS and not TCR right?

I had a typo in my post... set about 215C, not 315. :oops:

As for your settings, I don't know that mod or its' menu system... the user adjustable TCRs could be a separate select-able "mode" for each (like JoyeTech/Eleaf/Wismec), or it could be a parameter set to be used in "SS TC" mode (like SMOK... IIRC).

I'm guessing it's the first, in which case... no, the user setting doesn't change the programmed value in the default SS TC mode.
Just a guess though. ;)

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
On the OP's Ijoy Captain the SS is separate from the TCR settings.
832468fcf42d2d96287fe7310af90205.jpg
2d49a2568c4048433b41f12f6c0a46ab.jpg
fb6adfcdc9b94a669ecf0b14cd822130.jpg

Sent from the future

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
FIRST you need to understand how a vape works... battery supplies VOLTAGE to the coil to produce wattage... TC and VW are the math formulas the mod uses to determine how many volts to supply. VW regulates to a set wattage target. . TC regulates to Set temp mode.. Wattage in TC is there to limit max power to coil and speed of heatup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tonee N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread