Stainless Steel and colored Lava Tubes are back (reg and mini) at Apollo for anyone waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
o rachel, you took the words right outta my mouth,

iam very worried about my purchase but iam sorta willing to wait, my baby girl is expected in may, and my birth is in aug,

i HOPE ta have my SStube before my daughter is born,

iam thinking of charging interest if i dont lol

isnt it illegal to do a CO-op without the buyers knowlegde? and also i thought it was REALLY messed up they sold me a product they dont even have... back in feb there WAS NO preorder or anything, it was this items in stock,

but dood if i get one... omg people will want it..

You know, you're right, Luketheduke. I didn't quite realize that much time had passed, but I ordered on the 2/10 date when they went up on site, myself, and at that point I thought they were in stock and ready to ship out. Ok, so here's some info I got yesterday from another vendor who's dealing with Lrider. This guy is a super straight shooter... he refuses to sell lava tubes he doesn't have in his possession, because lrider does jerk vendors around so much on dates and such. He said A) lrider is sort of known for using money they get from pre-orders on a product to finance the run of that product. Now in my opinion, that's NOT a safe thing to do, because if anything goes wrong, they're unable to meet the orders they've already been paid on, by the vendors. He said B) He's been asking his rep at lrider for the solid stainless lava tubes, and has been told repeatedly that the only silver models they have are the silver powdercoated one (thats the slightly glittery light silver one) and the copper body coated in chrome. The rep said they do not make them in solid stainless.

Now that's pretty scary. It could mean that the manufacturing of these stainless tubes is either too costly or a hassle, so lrider is not taking any more new orders from vendors on them (which makes sense, since on the apollo site it says that the stainless are a limited run of 500, and when they're gone, they're gone). Or it could mean that somehow something went awry and there's been either intentional or inadvertent miscommunication between lrider and apollo, and there' never were stainless tubes available from the manufacturer. Personally, I think the top option is more likely. And thats the ONLY reason I'm not asking for my money back. If I do end up with a solid stainless tube, clearly there are a limited run available, and that has good things to say for any future resale of the item. So I'm holding out for a little bit longer. Little bit being the key phrase.

And NO... there are no other vendors (that I'm aware of... and I've hunted) selling the stainless steel (that's been confusing, since some of the vendors in the UK were calling the silver powedercoat ones 'steel' when they sold them). And to my knowledge, noone in the states or outside of china has actually received one of these solid stainless models. If anyone has any info to the contrary, I'd love to hear it. I suppose its possible that apollo has seen a test model, but I'm not sure about that.

I can tell you that if I end up receiving a copper body coated in chrome, or a silver powdercoat, I will raise holy bloody heck until I get my money refunded, and some sort of compensation for the 2+ mos I waited. But honestly, I think the most likely scenario is that apollo got in there with the vendor, and between them they decided to make some solid stainless ones, but that somewhere in the process, lrider decided that they won't be doing any more in the solid stainless than just meeting this existing order with apollo. I wouldn't be waiting still if that didn't seem likely. I know enough about the manufacturing process in general that that seems like a likely scenario, but by no means am I positive.

Yeah, I have to agree that this 'pre-order' was not handled well at all. I had seen a post on one of the Facebook groups that the stainless, chrome, and 'colors' were available. Granted, the post was NOT from the company. However, when I went to the site there was NO mention that they weren't available, so I ordered - fully expecting to receive it in a few days. Instead of a shipping notice I got an email "reminder" that they weren't available for another several weeks.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but a reminder is basically being re-told something that I had already been told. So, I went back to the page I ordered from, and nope - there was still no mention of pre-order. I ordered from the tube only page, not the kit, so I pointed this out to them and got a polite response back that they would be more than willing to change or cancel my order and that they had updated the page I referenced. So...I had them substitute a red mini which they shipped very promptly.

But then...someone else posted a pic of a chrome, and I ordered again. THIS time I knew I'd be waiting, though.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Congrats on the impending birth of your little girl, Luke the Duke! And yeah, lets hope we all have ours WELL before August. Its awesome that you're vaping instead of smoking, esp if you have a little bundle on the way.

The preorder thing was handled horrifically, esp for those of us who bought them after we were told they were in stock. Some others bought them later and have had a bunch of delays to the length of the preorder, which stinks, but its especially frustrating to think you'll have it in your hands in a weeks time, then find out you're waiting mos. I bought mine to replace a pv that had broken... I'm a super budget vaper, so it really screwed me up. But such is life. And yeah, only reason I'm sticking in is that i know as soon as i ask for a refund, they'll finally arrive, and everyone will be raving about how great they are. rofl Its my murphy's law shopping karma. ;) I think we can all agree that someone... be it apollo or lrider.. owes us some interest. lol They've had thousands of dollars for a few mos now... someone's getting some benefit out of it, and it sure isn't us. But I stopped expecting life to be fair a while ago. It officially sucks, but I'm hoping when this thing finally arrives, I'll be happy. And really, the only vv options in anywhere near this price range are the lava tubes, the Tox (which will be an awesome low cost/high feature vv, but not until a few weeks when they finally upgrade the controller heads), and some variety of vv box. The boxes are NOT my fave, due to lack of safety features and odd size in my tiny hands. So its not like there was something comparable I could have bought instead. If I had the extra $80.. forget it, I'd be in a mini provari, hands down. I really love that new silver metal one with the diamond pattern. But I don't. lol So I wait. ;)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
You have such excellent timing... I just got mine today! It is AWESOME!!! For anyone considering one at this point though, unless you need something right away, you might want to wait until they update them with the new v 1.5 internals. Right now, crystalclearvaping has the new version internals, in the old body type, for $50. New one has a few upgrades... most important for most people is the ohm resistance meter built in, and the new 3.2 amp resistance. the old ones had no meter and 2.5 amp, so its much better for people who vape low ohms and dual coils. ;) I believe they're considering some all metal bodies in a few mos on those. And I'd be amazed if apollo didn't put the v 1.5 internals in the stainless from now on, cause they raised the kit price on the all stainless to like $115. Of course, copper and chrome are a little less than that, by like $20, I think. I love my stainless one, though! It is so darned HEFTY and vapes like a beast. I'm thrilled I got it at such a good price, cause the $115 wouldn't have worked with my budget. There's a few reviews and a ton of pics in the apollo thread 'news about the apollo stainless' or something along those lines. ;) There are a few negatives. The ego connection isn't quite functional, cause they didn't make the channel deeper. But theres a tiny thing called a 510 mini that adds a tiny bit of height, so we're thinking that will work for people who want to use ego gear. I think they'll fit with the cartos flush or even a tiny bit recessed. We'll know soon. But it vapes amazing, and is just incredibly pretty! lol And heavy enough that lifting it 1000 times a day will probably burn some calories. lol But its not uncomfortably heavy at all.

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
You have such excellent timing... I just got mine today! It is AWESOME!!! For anyone considering one at this point though, unless you need something right away, you might want to wait until they update them with the new v 1.5 internals. Right now, crystalclearvaping has the new version internals, in the old body type, for $50. New one has a few upgrades... most important for most people is the ohm resistance meter built in, and the new 3.2 amp resistance. the old ones had no meter and 2.5 amp, so its much better for people who vape low ohms and dual coils. ;) I believe they're considering some all metal bodies in a few mos on those. And I'd be amazed if apollo didn't put the v 1.5 internals in the stainless from now on, cause they raised the kit price on the all stainless to like $115. Of course, copper and chrome are a little less than that, by like $20, I think. I love my stainless one, though! It is so darned HEFTY and vapes like a beast. I'm thrilled I got it at such a good price, cause the $115 wouldn't have worked with my budget. There's a few reviews and a ton of pics in the apollo thread 'news about the apollo stainless' or something along those lines. ;) There are a few negatives. The ego connection isn't quite functional, cause they didn't make the channel deeper. But theres a tiny thing called a 510 mini that adds a tiny bit of height, so we're thinking that will work for people who want to use ego gear. I think they'll fit with the cartos flush or even a tiny bit recessed. We'll know soon. But it vapes amazing, and is just incredibly pretty! lol And heavy enough that lifting it 1000 times a day will probably burn some calories. lol But its not uncomfortably heavy at all.

Awesome, glad someone received one. Just wondering, is there any issues using a tank? Just a regular dual coil tank? I honestly am not worried about the whole ohms meter and what not. I don't use dual coils, so its really no beg deal to me. We already have the original Lavatubes and are happy with them on their own, its just one of my lavatubes is practically falling apart. The top came off, then the atty connector came loose. I am just looking for a stronger version of what I already have. I checked their site and for a single with the coupon code it was only like $75... so that is good for the SS. One other thing, any issue using AW 18650 IMRs? I have a bunch of them and still want to use them...

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Awesome, glad someone received one. Just wondering, is there any issues using a tank? Just a regular dual coil tank? I honestly am not worried about the whole ohms meter and what not. I don't use dual coils, so its really no beg deal to me. We already have the original Lavatubes and are happy with them on their own, its just one of my lavatubes is practically falling apart. The top came off, then the atty connector came loose. I am just looking for a stronger version of what I already have. I checked their site and for a single with the coupon code it was only like $75... so that is good for the SS. One other thing, any issue using AW 18650 IMRs? I have a bunch of them and still want to use them...

So far I think you will be fine using any tank you have. Only the Vision eGo's seem to not fit correctly. That dont sound like a bad price either seeing as I can atest to the build of these units. Also, Your batteries will work just fine. Mine shipped with a "flat" top but the standard AW IMR (button top) will work great too. Now.....Go buy it already....:)

kalojado

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
Dayton, Ohio Area
So far I think you will be fine using any tank you have. Only the Vision eGo's seem to not fit correctly. That dont sound like a bad price either seeing as I can atest to the build of these units. Also, Your batteries will work just fine. Mine shipped with a "flat" top but the standard AW IMR (button top) will work great too. Now.....Go buy it already....:)

Haha, I got an email into them. Only thing stopping me is delayed orders. If I could buy it and it would ship right away I would do it right now... So I went ahead and sent them a message asking when it will ship. Hopefully I get some good news!

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I really doubt you will see much delay. Seems they are on track now. The next shipment is due maybe next week so it would be a little longer than normal, but in my opinion, its worth the little extra wait as opposed to maybe just a "chrome" version. Hey, There is some fella with one in the classies right now actually. They must have bought it to re-sell and make a buck or two, but you would get it next week for sure.

Link to for sale thread if interested.

Last edited:

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
i like it, i already named it...

COLD STEEL... cuz if i put it down and pick it up a few min later, its cold... cold steel

anyone have any issues with the button switch?:confused: its nice and clicky but seems even after the click theres another 1mm you have ta press to get it to fire... i dunno anyone notice this or have the same thing going on? i dont know how long the switch will last but who knows maybe a great switch that fires a million times...

also WTH!! version 1.5?!?!?!:glare: are you freakin kidding me?:facepalm: i waited 3-4 months for a mod thats already obseleet?:blink: wth man thats REALLY REALLY FRiggin LAME! effe that...:mad: iam VERY upset to hear that...:(

overall its my first tube type mod and i like it so far its very differant feel and function, its heavy (which i like) its quite slippery, knurling would be a cool customization...

one gripe was the packaging, it was all in a baggie, with the mod wrapped in tissue paper stuffed inside the ego zipper case... most everyone esle sells them with a presentation box... AND 2 thats TWO batteries... EVEN THE MANUAL SAYS IT COMES WITH 2 batties... kinda a lame gripe but... really? and now news of a1.5/ 2.0 version??... makes somethings real tough to swallow

anyone want pictures?? lol i got a "lame" pic fur ya
2012-04-27 18.31.43.jpg :glare:

Last edited:

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The button has been mentioned a few times on a few different threads so I'd say that's just the nature of the beast. As for the version, well that could be received a few ways. I personally could care less as I don't vape high voltages anyway. I mainly bought it because I never had a lava tube, and the fact it was Stainless Steel. Anything Stainless Steel I tend to dig.

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
The button has been mentioned a few times on a few different threads so I'd say that's just the nature of the beast. As for the version, well that could be received a few ways. I personally could care less as I don't vape high voltages anyway. I mainly bought it because I never had a lava tube, and the fact it was Stainless Steel. Anything Stainless Steel I tend to dig.

i too now am diggin SSteel alot... its like man this is what ive been missing... youse took the words right out my mouth, i really dont care about anything long as this thing works right for a year or 2 butjust the thought that i got jipped out of the latest/greatest... THIS SS "LIMITED EDITION" was supposed to be the bees knees the newest greatest... i mean thats what limited edition freakin means ya kno?

overall the lil crappy things i dont like as i look at it as a business, if it was my business i wouldnt steal the extra battery
and i would try to keep presentation a big part of my business... juss sayin

i DO like it, its instantly grown on me the last 2 days, was it worth the wait?... hmmm

LukeTheDuke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2011
midwest Illinois
i purchased 2 brand new 18650 trustfire greylabel batteries off the classys here...

to my dismay they dont really work...

yes i knew they may not fit totally... but they dont function... if i put the volts to 4.0 or more the unit shuts off and does not turn back on or anything. unscrew the cap and screw it back on and its on...:mad: weird!!!

anyway ill be trying to sell these 18650's ($15) since they wont work with this mod,

....! ive done some research last night here on the forum and came up with these batteries for extras,upgrade,or replacement...
CGR18650CH Panasonic 18650 Li-Mn-Li-ion CGR18650CH High Drain 10A Rechargeable IMR Hybrid Battery Cell

the thread i found these in 3 guys said these are the proven and best battery ta use with your Vvtube...
just fyi ladies an gents buy them batteries dont waste your money like me:facepalm:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Yeah, if you like the original LT, this thing is amazing. Truly lovely, and very hefty. Works beautifully with dctanks with a single coil 1.7ohm resurrector in em. Love it!

Oh, you guys getting the 2200mah batts. I was looking at those as well, but someone in the 'news about stainless' thread in apollo mentioned a gap (teensy tiny) with the 2000mah 18650x. He posted photos if you wanna see. But I'm guessing those 2200mah gygundo batts will make a larger gap still... wonder if the cap'll even screw on. I think I'm gonna stick with the lower mah, and just go high quality, like the true AW IMRS.

Also, I don't remember which poster mentioned the ultrafire 18650s, but these definitely call for IMR High dDrain 18650s, and the ultra fire ones I've seen are just plain old protected batts. There is a definite difference in performance, from what I understand. I'm not a batt expert by any means, but froom the research I've done in the last few days, you'll have longer life and better performance with an 18650 IMR with a lower mah than with a protected 18650 in a higher mah on a device like the lava tube that is designed for the high drain IMRs.. Plus, you know, the IMRs don't have risk of explosion and fire when they fail. They may vent if something goes awry, but they won't explode. lol

I'm gonna stick with the AW brand IMRs, since they're the best you can get, and the difference in price is negligible. Also, a good charger is important for batt life and safety. Best I've found so far under the $50 price point like the Pila is a smart charger called XTAR WP2. There's a 2 channel one and a 6 channel one. 2 channel is $18 at www.discountvapers.com. I'm gonna get the 6 channel, since i have a number of mods all taking diff batts... that's pricier at $33, but both are amazing prices on those chargers. And they'll charge anything under 70mm with the inclued spacers. I'm using for all my 14500s, 18350s, 18500s, and 18650s, but it takes any batt under 70mm. AND its an excellent charger for the ImR batts, because you're not supposed to use regular old trustfire type chargers for em. Tons of built in safety features, but bottom line is you physically cannot overcharge your batts. It stops charging at 4.2v, then continues to test each batt in each channel, and won't feed them any more trickles of voltage unless they drop below 4.2. Please, everyone, be very very mindful of quality of your batts and chargers! I almost had a house fire last week, because my 18500 batt heated to the point of smoking and melting plastic on my trustfire charger. Would have been HORRIFYING had it happened while I was asleep, since I have sleep disorders and thus am drugged into oblivion. rofl Anyway, that began my wild whirlwind of research on batteries and safety. THIS seems to be an amazing source for excellent quality batts, inexpensively, and he has everything. This seems to be who the major modders use, and he's highly regarded. I found that out after searching for all the sizes I need at about 25 different places,and noone had all the sizes I need except this guy. lol Anyway, sorry for the lecture, but I wish to hell someone had told me this when I first started using mods. I was using wrong batts, wrong charger, wrong everything. lol

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ers-exporters-america-shipping-worldwide.html

And if you're worried about weird charger issues, like I had, Eric at discount vapers also has a battery charging bag, for safety. If there's any fire or es'ploding, it stays contained in the bag.

Here's a link to a great review on the xtar WP2 charger, in case any of you, like me, have almost nil info on the importance of a 'smart' charger. I found out that using a cheapo charger like ultra or trust fire, or god forbid, like a rechargeable duracel charger, can cause a short... what that leads to is continuing to charge batteries well after they're at their 4.2 max voltage. This leads to the super overheating that I had. BTW, if that ever happens, everyone seems to agree that once a batt overheats that much, it is dangerous to use it or the charger ever again. lol All the info I regurgitated I gleaned from this review, and follow-up reviews I hunted down on a well regarded forum for batt/flashlight enthusiasts (used by many hobbyists to get reliable info on batteries) called 'candlepower'. I hunted thru about 30 reviews, and all seem to agree that this $18 2 channel Xtar charger is comparable to a $50 pila. 6channel one is almost the same, but it doesn't have a usb out port (so you can't charge your phone from the charger) like the 2 channel one does. Another safety precaution is a cheap $10 multimeter. Not only can you use it to check the actual ohms on the stuff you're vaping with (since they have a tendency to drop significantly over time, it seems), but you can also test the voltage of your batts right off the charger, to make sure they're not overcharged. Whew... ok, so I just gave you guys all the bare bones of the stuff I learned in about 25 hours of batt/charger 101. Sure hope it helps save someone from the scare I had. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CBJZu8htZ0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread