Stainless Steel Coils....Is it safe on a Mech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverickbo

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2014
Ohio
Hey everyone I have seen many threads on stainless coils but I can't for the life of me seem to find any thing on vaping with stainless steel coils on a mech. I see some that say its ok but others say that its dangerous due to chemicals being released from the wire. Can someone shed some light on this subject for me? All im looking to know is that if SS wire is safe to use on a mech. thanks in advance.

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I currently have nine mechs on my desk, all coiled in stainless. I don't use any other wire any more. You'll be fine, but don't try to duplicate your kanthal builds with SS wire as SS has a lower resistance. Be sure to recalculate them in Steam Engine or some other coil calculator.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Thank you! i was worried i was going to grow an extra toe or something.

Would growing an extra toe be a bad thing? :D

eleven.jpg

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
others say that its dangerous due to chemicals being released from the wire.
That is a concern with the TC-only wires Nickel and Titanium. But not an issue with SS as it can be used both ways (temp-control, and non.)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hey everyone I have seen many threads on stainless coils but I can't for the life of me seem to find any thing on vaping with stainless steel coils on a mech. I see some that say its ok but others say that its dangerous due to chemicals being released from the wire. Can someone shed some light on this subject for me? All im looking to know is that if SS wire is safe to use on a mech. thanks in advance.

FWIW, I wind 8 turns, 28ga SS316L wire, on a 2.5mm stepped coil winder rod to get .82 ohms. Steam Engine is a good suggestion for determining the final resistance of any coil you consider.

Since there's no ohm meter built into a mech, you might want to space the coils slightly and check resistance before mounting the coil. Common sense suggestion, but very important step before pressing the fire button.

Last edited:

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I don't get a taste difference between SS and kanthal but SS makes it easier to build low so I use it on mechs.

To get where I wanna be on mechs (all I use lately) with kanthal I have to use a spaced coil and I HATE spaced coils. SS lets me build a nice contact col and still come in under .2Ω.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I don't get a taste difference between SS and kanthal but SS makes it easier to build low so I use it on mechs.

To get where I wanna be on mechs (all I use lately) with kanthal I have to use a spaced coil and I HATE spaced coils. SS lets me build a nice contact col and still come in under .2Ω.

WOW!!!!
    The reasoning behind modern regulated mods is so that you can use ultra low resistance safely.
    Below .2 ohms is a bomb looking for a place to go off with a mechanical!!!!
    Running that battery at +20 amps just means that you need to change batteries constantly.

coolerat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2015
    Verona,NY
    WOW!!!!
    The reasoning behind modern regulated mods is so that you can use ultra low resistance safely.
    Below .2 ohms is a bomb looking for a place to go off with a mechanical!!!!
    Running that battery at +20 amps just means that you need to change batteries constantly.

Mechs aren't just for tootle puffers anymore gramps. Look into 20700's and dual (or triple) 18650 mods. All squonkers in my case. I go all day on a charge.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread