Stainless Steel Corroding too fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
I use Lightning Vapes 316L 26AWG.
I use a GeekVape Blitzen dual coil that comes out to around 22 to 25 ohms.

I've never had this problem till lately. My coils turn black and cruddy and taste like it. I vape at about 20 to 25 watts and occasionally use tc but nothing crazy.

I mix my own juice too and just recently have found my favorite mix of lemonade and strawberry with sweetener to taste. Could the new juice be gunking things up? I use cotton bacon and it remains white and not burnt looking. While writing this o think I realized the new juice is the problem, but is there anything I can do besides cutting back on the sweetener or finding a new favorite adv?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK if it's the sweetener or what but something in that juice seems to be interacting with the METAL not the wick, so that would concern me. If the change happened with the juice, I might try the juice with a kanthal coil to see if it's specifically stainless steel or if something in that juice is just a no go, generally. I've had juices gunk a WICK fast, but not affect the coil, not the wick. It seems odd.

I definitely wouldn't continue vaping it, though. At least not with that wire. Maybe it will be okay with a different wire?

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I use Lightning Vapes 316L 26AWG.
I use a GeekVape Blitzen dual coil that comes out to around 22 to 25 ohms.
I assume there’s a few decimal places missing there. If not your problem is answered
I've never had this problem till lately. My coils turn black and cruddy and taste like it. I vape at about 20 to 25 watts and occasionally use tc but nothing crazy.

I mix my own juice too and just recently have found my favorite mix of lemonade and strawberry with sweetener to taste. Could the new juice be gunking things up?
Yes.
I use cotton bacon and it remains white and not burnt looking. While writing this o think I realized the new juice is the problem, but is there anything I can do besides cutting back on the sweetener or finding a new favorite adv?
Nope. At least nothing obvious without knowing the mix and maybe not even then

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I didn't think about that Anna. Scary stuff there. I'll try different variations and figure this out.
Thanks to all who replied.

Do you actually mean corroded or just crusted? With stainless you should be able to scrape it or burn it and rub it with a paper towel and it should look almost like new. I can't say I've ever had stainless corroded/erroded. If it's not pitted it's not corroding. (Kanthal will get pitted.)

I would guess you're burning the not-quite-sugar on the coil and given enough time it will move to the wick.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread