Stainless Steel (dry burn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockwell222

Sep 21, 2015
I've heard mixed things on dry burning SS but it seems like it's alright. And with the titanium I think you had a not so good quality titanium because ti is all I've used for 8 months and everyone that try's out my tanks and rdas comments on the clean taste. The popping your talking about is gonna be your wicking most likely and not the ti. If it's wicked a little loose you'll get popping on any wire.

Shigura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2015
Lincoln, NE
I tried Ti and disliked not being able to dry burn, and also the constant popping.

Picked up some 24g and 26g 316L stainless today. Can stainless be dry burned? My coils seem to get gunked up every other day. I wash/dry burn/rewick.

btw I will be running this on a vtc mini with SS mode.
Yes one can dry burn stainless steel wire as it can be used both in power and TC applications. Which is why its an ideal type of wire for this very fact. Using SS430 myself I will dry burn it to clear the gunk and then re-wick.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
the Ti i got was a dull gray and pitted all over. was told this was normal but it does not seem right.
Its fine. Its called acid pickling. People do it on jewellery wire. I have both shiny and acid-treated and they both work fine and are perfectly safe!

gambleroflife

Feb 10, 2016
I find that dry burning SS coil makes them more susceptible to gunking. The shiny chrome finish tends to become dull after dry burning. I never dry burn my builds now and my coils are cleaner and last longer too.
well I don't do spaced wraps. How do you fuse them together? and what is the best ss type for vaping? And why? I am new here? Sorry for bad english.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
well I don't do spaced wraps. How do you fuse them together? and what is the best ss type for vaping? And why? I am new here? Sorry for bad english.
for SS coils to work best for temperature control, spaced wraps are a must. a good SS for TC is 430. it has a higher TCR than the other SS's that are available. i use 316L for my SS TC builds. it has a low TCR value but still works for TC. if you're not fimilar on what a TCR is, do some reasearch. Temperature Coeffecient of Resistance (TCR). i build a slightly spaced coil, dry fire it to make sure there are no hot spots and it glows from the inside out. you mentioned you're new here, so i'm assuming you have a mod that'll do SS TC. if not you can still run SS in power mode.

Reactions: Wingsfan0310

gambleroflife

Feb 10, 2016
I am familier with e cig a lot actually. I've been using it for 6 months. I got vtc mini now and cuboid on the way home :) So yes I do have TC mod. What is the TCR value of 430 ss? I know 316L is 92. Anyway. Thanks for good respond. Yet I don't know why a spaced wraps are must? I used spaced and contigous wraps and contigous one is better IMO. Why do you think it is worse?

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
I am familier with e cig a lot actually. I've been using it for 6 months. I got vtc mini now and cuboid on the way home :) So yes I do have TC mod. What is the TCR value of 430 ss? I know 316L is 92. Anyway. Thanks for good respond. Yet I don't know why a spaced wraps are must? I used spaced and contigous wraps and contigous one is better IMO. Why do you think it is worse?
check this thread out for all your TCR needs.

The Ultimate TCR List

as spaced coils vs compressed, when they're spaced they have less of a chance for hot spots do to shorting between the wraps. this method is for TC. compressed coils still work great for regular power mode but for TC coils, spaced is just added assurance that your coil behaves accordingly. for instance, ni200 coils work best when spaced because of their inability to form a good non conductive oxide layer. for good practice, spacing all your coils for TC is carried over from the ni200 days.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA

Here you go:
qDpbMVR.jpg

I'm using SS 430 as I type this and have been very happy with it's performance in TC so far!

Cheers,
Steve

ariffza

Jun 21, 2015

Sorry for the late reply but as @AtmizrOpin has mentioned, I too build spaced coil for SS. I find that contact coils gives an inconsistant vape, sometimes ok and sometimes not. Spaced coil seems to work everytime for me. Hope you're having luck with your SS wires.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
Sorry for the late reply but as @AtmizrOpin has mentioned, I too build spaced coil for SS. I find that contact coils gives an inconsistant vape, sometimes ok and sometimes not. Spaced coil seems to work everytime for me. Hope you're having luck with your SS wires.
Same here. At least for use with TC mods. Spaced seem to be much more consistent across all my mods with SS modes/manual TCR, and in escribe the monitor shows the temp/wattage applied to be more stable.

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
With the exception of ni200, you don't need to build spaced coils for tc provided you dry-pulse then to ensure consistent heating throughout the coil; a hot spot or partial short through a coil will throw off the atty resistance, rendering TC useless.

I always try and fit coil size to the atomizers air inlet; it seems to reduce spitting on atomizers prone to spitting and I feel it reduces coil ramp up time a bit, as more radiant energy is transfered to coil vs saturated wick.

To answer the question about stainless steel rotowound (clapton) coils, I've ran an El Cabron with 26 awg 316sl SS core, 32 awg kanthal wrap. TC works just fine, the extra coil mass need a wattage adjustment to compensate for the ramp-up so you will drain your battery a bit quicker. I know I'm not alone feeling that "clapton" coils don't offer any flavor difference or vapor density vs a naked wire coil. At a certain point, the main factor to vapor production is the coils radiant heat output to the volume of the wick, because juice vaporization is happening in the wick, not on the surface area of the coil.

Reactions: GeorgeS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread