Status
Not open for further replies.

j_fro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Upstate NY
I have a few of the newest release stardusts. I soaked them in vodka, rinsed out, dry burned, did a vodka rince again, and a water rinse, and let dry with a little help from a hair dryer.

The issue I have is that I can still smell the previous juice smell (a coconut and a tobacco).

Should I just buy an ultra sonic cleaner?

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
The very best way is to take them apart to clean.

Gotvapes Stardust: Taking It Apart II - YouTube

Couple of things I do just a little different than shown in RockinRobbies excellent video.

1) Back out the mouthpiece 1/2 turn before lining up and pushing the core back in. Helps to insure a tight seal after final assembly when screwed all the way.

2) After cleaning and dry burning the wick I use a pin fluff up the wick from the inside out where it enters the cup making sure that the wick is expanded so no opening into the cup exist . This insures proper wicking, and prevent flooding.

A far as the actual cleaning, before dry burning I drop the core in the ultrasonic filled with very hot water for a few minutes first. Just the core, not the tank! After dry-burning, just rinse out again, dab the wick dry, fire the coil a few times to dry off the inside, put a drop of juice directly on the coil, reassemble, fill and vape away.

Really is easy after doing it a few times.

Itzme1234

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2011
Midwest
I have a few of the newest release stardusts. I soaked them in vodka, rinsed out, dry burned, did a vodka rince again, and a water rinse, and let dry with a little help from a hair dryer.

The issue I have is that I can still smell the previous juice smell (a coconut and a tobacco).

Should I just buy an ultra sonic cleaner?

When do you know that it's time to clean your stardust? Also, is that vodka method recognized as a decent way to clean it? I prefer not to do the take-it-apart method if I dont have to. My eyesight isn't that great.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
When do you know that it's time to clean your stardust? Also, is that vodka method recognized as a decent way to clean it? I prefer not to do the take-it-apart method if I don't have to. My eyesight isn't that great.

Hey Itzme1234, when my juice flavour starts tasting off, I rinse it out with warm water under the tap(drain stopper in)
or in a cup of warm water. Shake out excess, dry burn 'till the coil glows, re-fill.

After a few fills the e-liq starts to get darker so I vape it right down to 0.2 or 0.3 ml and just dump it and rinse.

Do some short pulls to prime the wick, don't go at it too hard give the e-liq some time to re-wick(don't wanna burn it)...
and voila, clouds of vapour and good flavour again.

Works for me. Been going for over a month now. A major cleaning may need to be done in the near
future but will put it off 'till it "has" to be done. Breaking it unnecessarily is not where I want to go.

Good luck and Vape on!!!

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
I've never really been able to get the smell out of a/an any-mizer completely when its a strong smelling juice. And I dont think theres a cleaning method I haven't tried... As long as its cleaned thoroughly, you shouldn't be able to taste the old juice. I'd just fill it and vape it, otherwise you'll drive your self nuts trying to get the smell out completely!!

MadKat

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
United States
***sigh*** so all of my fiddling around with this new altsmoke vision ego clearomizer has resulted in my losing the little silicone seal ring around the inside of the drip tip that fits into the clearomizer...anyone know how to make a new one? I tried to cut a little ring off the top of a condom from one of my boges but it's too big and won't fit inside the lip of the tip. Dammit! Anyway...CALLING McGyver!!!

MadKat

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
United States
it DOES leak without it. I have 2 clearomizers, one with and one without the little seal gasket. The one I'm using without will leak a little juice into my mouth, the one with doesn't...not MUCH, mind you....but I get a bit of juice in my mouth from time to time when I'm using the one without, and when I tighten the mouthpiece all the way down I see it causing the cap on top of the metal tube to squish down a bit as well. I guess will run up to Home depot and see if I can find some rings that will fit.

The wife likes these things. Some of them will produce juice in her mouth with or without that top/outer seal, it's just their nature I guess, but I believe juice is getting by the wicks to be the main cause.
She has been using them for several months and I think she is finally getting tired of the cracking bases.
I have a collection of 20+ sitting here that have cracked housings and leak.
The newer/latest ones have a lot less cracks, but still one good one is all it needs to leak.

With several months of use, I found the best cleaning method to be: lift the lower seal slightly; a good rinse with vodka/grain alcohol; then warm water; repeat vodka/water rinse until most of the smell of old juice is gone and dry burn in 3 sec intervals pausing between to allow the wicks to wick. Let the coils cool before adding juice.

I use to disassemble but I would fight leaking issues a lot more around the wicks, at least that is how it appears to me.

I just ordered a pack of CE2+'s with easy fill to try and I hope to convert her.

Good luck with the seal.

MadKat

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
United States
clearomizer.jpg

I like it despite losing the little seal :p
the one WITH the seal doesn't leak at all and it's easy to fill, change flavors and I like seeing how much juice I have left too. It's a good, clean taste. I'll stick with them and be more careful not to lose the seals again. :)

I liked them at one time also and they are the reason I don't use standard cartos.
I had a issue with the draw being to stiff, but the cracking bases was the deal killer.
I switched to CE2 clearos (revision 6) since they have a more durable shell, but the wife hates pulling seals to fill.
The new CE2+ clearos from microcig are suppose to have the easy fill system and I have a pack being shipped to try.
I also like the new CE3 clearos from MiT (not smokymizers), they are bottom coil, but require a syringe to fill.
So yeah, I need my clearos also :)

If you do replace the top seal, you will have to pull the top metal ring. Some were tougher to get off than others and I used channel-lock pliers with tape on them so I wouldn't scratch the ring. I had a few that pulled off by hand, but they were far and few between.

Your setup looks just like the wifes, is it a pink KGO?

Edit: When I put the top ring back on, I folded a small towel and tapped the top ring until it was fully seated. Also, from time to time, check to make sure the top ring is always seated down. I over tightened the tip once and the metal ring popped up. I had one leaking, pulled the bottom seal up so it would make contact with the tip and this opened up the wick area to much which allowed juice to bypass the wicks also.
Once I noticed this, I tapped the top ring down and life was good again.
Food for thought

Hope that helps

View attachment 93715

I like it despite losing the little seal :p
the one WITH the seal doesn't leak at all and it's easy to fill, change flavors and I like seeing how much juice I have left too. It's a good, clean taste. I'll stick with them and be more careful not to lose the seals again. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread